I've decided to start saving up for a new amp. I have a job and I don't really have a budget, it's just a matter of how long it will take to save up the money. I'm in a band and we play music reminiscent of the velvet underground, early pink floyd(see user name), the brian jonestown massacre, and mgmt. Bassically just drug influenced music. I'd really like to be able to explore tones along the lines of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EauKAu1bn2o

I was thinking along the lines of a twin reverb and lots and lots of pedals.
What does UG think?
Quote by sydbarrett?
I've decided to start saving up for a new amp. I have a job and I don't really have a budget, it's just a matter of how long it will take to save up the money. I'm in a band and we play music reminiscent of the velvet underground, early pink floyd(see user name), the brian jonestown massacre, and mgmt. Bassically just drug influenced music. I'd really like to be able to explore tones along the lines of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EauKAu1bn2o

I was thinking along the lines of a twin reverb and lots and lots of pedals.
What does UG think?

You couldn't really go wrong with a Twin reverb. If you don't really have a budget though and want a Fender, I'd try looking into a vintage Fender if you are willing to go used. You can find great deals on old fenders.
You wouldn't want much distortion would you? I don't know Brain Jonestown Massacre however, so maybe that's some death metal band.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
You couldn't really go wrong with a Twin reverb. If you don't really have a budget though and want a Fender, I'd try looking into a vintage Fender if you are willing to go used. You can find great deals on old fenders.
You wouldn't want much distortion would you? I don't know Brain Jonestown Massacre however, so maybe that's some death metal band.

haha, no i don't listen too much death metal. They're just kind of a 60's throwback band that doesn't suck.

and do you think a silverface era would be ok?
Last edited by sydbarrett? at Jul 9, 2009,
I know there are no ebay links allowed, but I'm not advertising so I hope this is okay.

Depending on how much you want to pay, I'd much rather grab one of these.

Old Deluxe Reverb

Bandmaster

People complain about the Silverface amps, and honestly, they aren't they same as blackface, but I don;t think anything is wrong with them. My little champ is Silverface and wonderful except for the speaker.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by ticklemeemo
Thank me now.

If you like Pink Floyd I think this will suit you well. Have you ever heard of Circa Survive? They use these amps, and their tone is amazing.

Those are pretty damn nice. If you can find one. They don't have many dealers. The ones they have are on the east coast of USA. And I rarely see them on ebay. But hell yeah. Nice amps.

EDIT: and if you want to drop nearly 3 grand.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I like their tone but am not a big fan of the band, but those amps do appear delicious. I've also been considering a used ac30 (I don't think they make them in England anymore?). And I only really like early Pink Floyd, just to clear that up (not a David Gilmour fan).
Quote by sydbarrett?
I like their tone but am not a big fan of the band, but those amps do appear delicious. I've also been considering a used ac30 (I don't think they make them in England anymore?). And I only really like early Pink Floyd, just to clear that up (not a David Gilmour fan).

I think you're gonna pay for a vintage AC30. Take a look at the....god lets see. Handwired series I think? Made just like the originals? Let me see if I can find you a link.

EDIT: Heritage series.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC30CC2X-30W-2x12-Custom-Classic-Combo-with-Celestion-Blue-Speakers?sku=482621

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC30H2-30W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481615

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Those are pretty damn nice. If you can find one. They don't have many dealers. The ones they have are on the east coast of USA. And I rarely see them on ebay. But hell yeah. Nice amps.

EDIT: and if you want to drop nearly 3 grand.

Yeah, he said no budget though. I complied.
yeah, I don't really have a budget, it will just be a lot of minimum wage hours to get 3 grand

I play an Ibanez hollowbody based on a white falcon if this helps in any way, and have a fuzz factory.
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I think you're gonna pay for a vintage AC30. Take a look at the....god lets see. Handwired series I think? Made just like the originals? Let me see if I can find you a link.

EDIT: Heritage series.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC30CC2X-30W-2x12-Custom-Classic-Combo-with-Celestion-Blue-Speakers?sku=482621

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-AC30H2-30W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481615

That heritage series looks very nice. I'll just need to try that out along with a twin at some point and see which one I like better. I'm leaning more towards a british clean tone.
I agree, I thought of that amp immediately when I saw this thread though. Huge advantage to that amp is if you ever want to sell it, you might lose maybe 100 bucks. Hell, you could probably sell it for more than you bought it for.
I would suggest the two you guys already listed: Twin Reverb and AC30, plus the Orange Rockerverb, Laney GH50, Hiwatt amps, Blackstar Artisan 30, ummm Peavey Classic 30 (try one ), or Crate V series.
Hope that helps
i currently have a palomino v32, which I like very much. I just would like to upgrade, and I don't see the peavey classic as an upgrade (classic 30 and v32 were the two amps my choice came down to).