Alright... So I've been thinking about getting a Fender Blues Jr. for a new amp. It's a pretty decent amp for what I wanna play, and how much watts I would probably need. But now I had a thought... "There has to be cheaper tube amps out there than Fenders that will fit what I wanna play."

So... Recommend ANY tube amp for me, by ANY brand. I'm playing blues rock, e.g. The Black Keys, Jimi Hendrix, The White Stripes, Led Zeppelin... The hardest stuff would probably be Guns N Roses. I'm looking for something from 15-30, possibly 40 watts... 15 definitely being the lowest... something that would be enough to play in a gym, bar, club, other places these sizes.
**I will buy a cab for the amp... after I get the amp, I will save up more money for the cab**
I would say if you could recommend something that's under 500 USD, that'd be perfect, but I'd say my budget would be around 650 USD, nothing higher though... I don't have the time to save up that much lol.

Anyway, thanks guys, hopefully this will end my "amp-buying bipolarness"
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jul 9, 2009,
The Blues Junior would be a great choice for you IMO.

But, a Traynor amps might be better.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
The Blues Junior would be a great choice for you IMO.

But, a Traynor amps might be better.

Any specific Traynor models? or are they all good?
Check out the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Sweet Tone...maybe a little higher than the price range you mentioned but I think it would have the Tone your looking for.

Edit* sorry missed the part about not looking at Fender...ah well check it out anyway lol
Quote by Wikipedia.org
These nouns are often used with a form of "to be" rather than "to have," e.g., "he is pwnage" rather than "he has pwnage". Either is a more emphatic way of expressing the simpler "he pwns,"
Last edited by Wylde_Guitarist at Jul 9, 2009,
The YCV50 blue is a pretty nice amp, it's 50 watts, but the difference between fifty and fifteen watts isn't very large.

You might also consider an ampeg jet, they're going for pretty cheap right now.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I have the exact same problem and didnt get many answers so Im here to bump you in hopes we both get some help...

I dont know about you but I kind of felt that the gain was a little weak on the blues jr for zeppelin. I love those fender cleans though. Vox night trains look pretty sweet but I havent heard one in person, only on youtube. I hear people reccommend peavey classic 30s here all the time but Ive never played one.

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Quote by REV3LATI0N
I have the exact same problem and didnt get many answers so Im here to bump you in hopes we both get some help...

I dont know about you but I kind of felt that the gain was a little weak on the blues jr for zeppelin. I love those fender cleans though. Vox night trains look pretty sweet but I havent heard one in person, only on youtube. I hear people reccommend peavey classic 30s here all the time but Ive never played one.

thanks, braahh

Also, I fixed that gain problem today, although not necessarily on purpose lol. I went out and got an Ibanez Tubescreamer overdrive pedal, so it doesn't matter if the amp gets no distortion at all
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
thanks, braahh

Also, I fixed that gain problem today, although not necessarily on purpose lol. I went out and got an Ibanez Tubescreamer overdrive pedal, so it doesn't matter if the amp gets no distortion at all

The Tubescreamer is **** for doing those types of sounds.
You'll have to look into other pedals to get the sound you're looking for, sorry to tell you.
Blackheart Handsome devil could work?
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by JilaX^
The Tubescreamer is **** for doing those types of sounds.
You'll have to look into other pedals to get the sound you're looking for, sorry to tell you.

I love it though

I'll try it out once I get a new amp, if it doesn't do well for me, I'll look into some other overdrive pedals
Yeah the YCV50 is the one you're looking for.

The Classic 30 and Night Train could literally be PERFECT for you IMO
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Try a used YCV40 or 50. The 50 would probably work better though. A used Blues Jr. sounds like everything you need though. That and a Fulltone OCD or Fulldrive 2 would easily be able to cover your genres.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
I love it though

I'll try it out once I get a new amp, if it doesn't do well for me, I'll look into some other overdrive pedals

The Tubescreamer is good for boosting already overdriven amps. That's where I feel it exceeds.
Quote by mmolteratx
Try a used YCV40 or 50. The 50 would probably work better though. A used Blues Jr. sounds like everything you need though. That and a Fulltone OCD or Fulldrive 2 would easily be able to cover your genres.

Do you know how much used Blues Juniors go for? I looked on musiciansfriend and it said 449.99, but that's only 50 bucks off a new one.
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
Do you know how much used Blues Juniors go for? I looked on musiciansfriend and it said 449.99, but that's only 50 bucks off a new one.

I've seen em go for as little as $275-300 on CL.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
blues juniors tend to go for around 300-350 in my area on craigslist

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Quote by mmolteratx
I've seen em go for as little as $275-300 on CL.

I think I may have just came.

Well, with my amazing deal-making abilities, I'll go down to a music store, look for a used Blues Junior, and talk 'em down to $300

I guess I never really had to change my mind about the Blues Junior
Quote by GNRjungle87
The Tubescreamer is good for boosting already overdriven amps. That's where I feel it exceeds.

Maybe it only sounds good giving distortion to the clean amp model on a Spider III

at least it sounds better than the crappy distortion the amp gives.