So one of my friends that I have been helping learn the guitar is getting his first electric guitar. He's still a fairly new player and is going to order the gear online(Mail order).

Whats the best amp and guitar for 200-350 dollars(CND)?

He was thinking of getting
GRX20
FrontMan

He is probably going to get it today or tomorrow, so we'd appreciate some quick answers.

Thanks.

edit: sorry, since he is still learning and this is probably going to be his last set for a while, something versatile would be nice.
Last edited by PapaKooLay at Jul 9, 2009,
what style of music do you want to play. Personally I'd recommend getting a used guitar.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
This amp. Its probably one of the best starter amps you can get to my knowledge. And guitar, that depends on what he wants to play
Peavey vypyr / roland cube for amp.

Id say get an RG321 but thats probb outa the price range

EDITT.
The peaveys not hard to figure out for a beginner , cus I figured it out within 10min
Quote by genghisgandhi
that amp can be kind of hard to figure out for a beginer

Epiphone Valve Jr. - 1 knob on the other end of the spectrum
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Quote by genghisgandhi
that amp can be kind of hard to figure out for a beginer

Its a decent amp for a small price. it will let him get alot of different sounds out of his guitar that he may want to start with. my friend started out with one of those and an Epi LP and he said he couldnt be happier
I'd go with a higher quality used guitar and a Roland Cube for your first amp. The thing is a dynamite amp for beginners, very good for its price.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Anybody know any good models of guitars used or unused for $200 (CND) or less?
yeah basic modelling isn't a bad thing for a beginner it will help fuel their creativity and hopefully make it a bit more fun and get them hooked on playing
I wouldn't recommend a Vypyr. Mine's been nothing but trouble, and yes I've had the updates done to it. It does sound pretty good, though, and has a TON of adjustments to sound pretty much any way you want. On the other hand, that can be kind of intimidating for a beginner if you just want to plug in and start learning to play. I know it was for me when I first got it.

Go for the Roland Cube.

I'm still on my first guitar, an ESP LTD EC-50. I got it for $200 from Musician's Friend. Its a decent beginner guitar for the money. I think it has a GREAT clean tone, and does everything pretty good except for really high gain metal. I don't think the pickups are quite suited for that, it just sounds "OK".