I have searched, found nothing.

Does anybody else think the Mark V sounds just..terrible? I'm not gonna judge too much from youtube videos, but every single clip I heard sounded harsh, flubby, and undefined. The cleans were passable, but every clip of the distortion made me cringe? I do plan on trying the amp soon as well. Does guitar center stock the mark series? It was not on their website.

Thoughts?

I know tone is subjective and all that, but just starting a discussion.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Last edited by dcdossett65 at Jul 9, 2009,
I played in person and well its alright.

A LOT of dialing in, for a decent tone in no way worth that much money.

Unbeatable features though.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
I played in person and well its alright.

A LOT of dialing in, for a decent tone in no way worth that much money.

Unbeatable features though.

Thats what drew me in initially, was the many options. But at the end of the day I realized I like having less than 10 knobs on an amp.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I was confused as hell, but it sounded great when I played it, but I liked the bugera 6262 that I played, better o_Q
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by dcdossett65
Thats what drew me in initially, was the many options. But at the end of the day I realized I like having less than 10 knobs on an amp.

True also I like some versatility, so no single channels for me but what the Mark V has its pretty over the top.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I haven't played one but John Petruccis tone on the new DT record is stellar and that a Mark V.
Sig What?
It looks so good, and I want it to sound amazing, but it just doesn't sound right to me. Those features are amazing. The footswitching is so useful, I really wish I could set reverb for each channel, let alone have 3 channels. Footswitchable loop just makes me jealous.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Judging the tone of an amp like that from YouTube demos?

... not gonna be very accurate. And it's a Mesa, and in my experience people just don't know how to dial in that active EQ.
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
I was gonna get one but I had a GAS attack and spent a bunch of money. But I've played one and I liked it. I never trust YouTube demos to give me anything more than a general idea of the tone since most people either use ****ty camera mics or have no idea how to dial an amp in. I'm just gonna point this out, in person, the cleans are beautiful.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Wow. Judging the tone from an amp on the 5 videos on youtube (There are NO good videos that do this amp justice yet), and never having played one yourself. I have played one of the heads our local mesa dealer got in. The thing rocks massively. It is everything the Mark IV was and then some. Claiming that you cannot get a good tone from a Mark V, or that it is a flop, with absolutely nothing to base that on is pure ignoranus.
Quote by GuitarDTO
Wow. Judging the tone from an amp on the 5 videos on youtube (There are NO good videos that do this amp justice yet), and never having played one yourself. I have played one of the heads our local mesa dealer got in. The thing rocks massively. It is everything the Mark IV was and then some. Claiming that you cannot get a good tone from a Mark V, or that it is a flop, with absolutely nothing to base that on is pure ignoranus.

Bit of an overreaction..?

Did you even read the first post? I am quite aware they are bad videos, and you cant judge an amp over the internet.

I didnt "claim" that you can't get a good tone out of the Mark V. I said judging from what I have seen in more like 15 or 20 videos, I didn't dig the tone. Usually you can get a deent idea of what something sounds like on youtube, even if half of them aren't mic'd.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
it's not an easy amp to dial in, but it really isn't meant to be. their goal was to jam-pack all the famous mesa tones into that one amp, which means a little goes a long way in terms of pot adjustments.
i've played it in person and have to say i was able to get pretty damn close, if not on the money, to my favorite IV and recto tones... i think it's a rather poor imitation on the lonestar-esque tone, but that one's rather tricky when you consider the gain stages.
it's also way over-priced IMO, but then again I think most amps are over-priced, so, whatever.
if you go back for another test drive, pay particularly close attention to how your pressence affects your tone.
You need too try it yourself to make your final opinion
and i haven't have the chance to try it but with so many features your tone will be HARD to find, so you need to spend some time tweeking it
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I dont really care for it at all. But yet again the mesa tone doesn't give me chills.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
When our Mark V first came into the store I work in, I would have agreed whole heartedly with all of you guys. Then our Mesa rep came in and I spent about 2 hours learning the ins and outs of this thing. And I discovered nobody knows how to dial this in correctly. It is completely unlike most amps in how you approach it. A few pointers from Trent at Mesa....

The EQ knobs are PRE gain stages. So a little bit goes a long way. Like setting it at lower settings like Bass 1.5 Mid 4 Treble 5. Dial it in carefully, starting with every knob at zero and slowly adding to taste. Then you go to your graphic EQ which is POST gain stages (like your normal Rectifier Mesa knobs would be) and make the famous smiley face with the sliders(if you have set your pre gain EQ correctly it is perfectly acceptable to scoop your mids here).

After he showed me this and much more (theres a LOT to this amp) I am extremely impressed. And I am not typically a Mesa fan by any stretch of the imagination.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
It looks like you need an Engineering degree from MIT to use, but once you dial in a tone you like im sure it friggin slays. I really want to try out the mark series, i hate living in south carolina
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
I thought I got a much better tone from the mark V I tried, but then again I wasn't go for metal tones. I'd say calling something a flop based on youtube videos is kind of stupid. Hell, calling an amp a flop just because you don't like it is kind of stupid.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by dcdossett65

With a Randall RM100 you get separate gain, level, and EQ for each channel and a master volume, presence, density, and FX level knobs More than 10, but less insane than the Mark V Plus, Mesas are notoriously fickle tweaker amps that take a lot of dialing in to sound amazing.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Kevin Saale
I thought I got a much better tone from the mark V I tried, but then again I wasn't go for metal tones. I'd say calling something a flop based on youtube videos is kind of stupid. Hell, calling an amp a flop just because you don't like it is kind of stupid.

Again, I stated multiple times Im not trying to make a judgement off the videos, im just getting the general idea of what the amp sounds like.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Funny. I just got done reading the 2 page add of this amp on page 5 or whatever of the current Guitar World mag and got major wood.

Then I started to wonder if it would all be worth it.

I've seen that in the last couple issues and I was very impressed, too bad it is for the most part overrated.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Funny. I just got done reading the 2 page add of this amp on page 5 or whatever of the current Guitar World mag and got major wood.

Then I started to wonder if it would all be worth it.

Is it the one with Jimmy Page, Edge, and White?

What page?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Is it the one with Jimmy Page, Edge, and White?

What page?

Yes, first few pages I believe.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
has anyone heard about the next new mesa? don't remember what it's called, but it has a picture of an atom on the grille.