Stumbled across this while looking for a Vox AC30. Bought this Dr. Z Maz 38 Sr. for $1299 used! I try to buy only gear that speaks to me and my needs which is why when I heard this thing after playing an AC30 i knew exactly which one I wanted. And it was only $100 more than a new AC30. sorry about the size of the pics

just showing off some logos

Basic eq knobs. volume, treble, mids, bass, cut, reverb. the cut knob is what is known as a presence knob on a lot of amps. basically controls the amps highs and seems to add some compression. really lets you control the amps sparkle

These do not come standard with an FX loop. I believe Dr. Z charges an extra $150 to have them put in.

Celestion G12H-30 speaker. And yes, that is a built in fan blowing on what I bellieve to be the output transformer. Its very quiet and unpluggable if I want to.

After market Fender kick back legs. Thank you previous owner!

My rig is close to being temporarily complete! Korg DT-10 tuner, TS9, Carbon Copy. Im really into country/indie/alternative/pop/rock/acoustic kinda things. Think Goo Goo Dolls. thats the closest I can get to describing my band's sound. What im missing for now is an A/B box, a compressor, an EQ pedal, and a new OD. Im looking at the MXR 10 band, taylor a/b, Visual Sound Comp66, and Visual Sound Open Road (or Fulltone OCD). Then I'll be in acoustic/electric heaven with my T5, amp, pedals, and whatever PA system a show will provide! Overall I think im well on my way to building a very versatile rig.

Please let me know if there are any other types of pics you'd like to see or if theres anything you wanna know about the amp/rig
Nice
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
That's an awesome amp.
How's the reverb? Does the single knob control detract at all from its range?
obviously we demand sound clips of the amp.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
HNAD!

That first pic makes my eyes hurt
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
NICE!!
idk why but Dr. Z amps doesnt impress me

but HNAD!!! nonetheless
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Roc8995
That's an awesome amp.
How's the reverb? Does the single knob control detract at all from its range?

the reverb is deffinitely very deep. Its another thing that made me get this instead of the Vox. Vox's reverb knob doesnt seem to do much on the AC15 or 30's. but on this amp if you put it at about 1/4 it adds some depth to the sound, 1/2 you've got yourself a very nice fender type reverb, 3/4 there's a lot of potential for ambient Angels and Airwaves type of stuff, and beyond that it sounds like you're playing in the Bat Cave. I dont have a HUGE need for reverb so between 1/4 and 1/2 is just enough to add the level of depth im looking for. Dr. Z also sells a stand alone reverb unit now for anyone that is interested.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
NICE!!
idk why but Dr. Z amps doesnt impress me

but HNAD!!! nonetheless

Dr. Z seems like one of the more "accessible" boutique brands to me. that might be what turns you off? Its certainly not a dumble lol and its not a high gain amp, which seems to be more your thing. tone heaven for my country ears though lol
Quote by Bright Light
Dr. Z seems like one of the more "accessible" boutique brands to me. that might be what turns you off? Its certainly not a dumble lol and its not a high gain amp, which seems to be more your thing. tone heaven for my country ears though lol

i play classic sometimes too
and yea its not probably my thing

and maybe because i haven't tried one
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Hey we have the exact same pedals!!!

HNAD

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
i play classic sometimes too
and yea its not probably my thing

and maybe because i haven't tried one

yeah i dont see you liking a MAZ 38. especially if you tried it in a store because you wouldnt be able to crank it. Its a very clean amp. the sweet spot for break up is not easy to get to in terms of volume. Im gonna have to get an attenuator for it for sure. There are 2 inputs though, a hi and lo. the lo input gives 3db less gain to get to that spot a bit easier

luckily for me I can crank this thing any time of the day as long as its not like 10 PM lol. I was deffinitely in classic rock territory once I cranked the volume and master

EDIT: Dr. Z's Prescription Extra Strength or Prescription Jr. have more gain on tap than the Maz. You might like those? although for their price I imagine there'd be better choices for you
Last edited by Bright Light at Jul 9, 2009,
definitely don't see those much at all on here! great amp! crank that **** and have some fun!
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by jc349
Hey we have the exact same pedals!!!

HNAD

haha seem to be very commonly used pedals these days. Im planning on replacing the TS9 soon. I might keep it around as a clean boost while I use either an OCD or a Visual Sound Open Road for some more dirt
it has a "HI" input. i wish my amps were so polite, lol. gorgeous amp. clips when you can. wow.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Sweet!!!! :cheers HNAD
Sweet, Dr. Z makes great amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
What wine do you find goes best with this amp?

Only joking, nice amp.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I played the Maz 18 Jr version of this amp and was quite impressed. You can 'hear' the quality if that makes sense. Great looking amp. Clips would be awesome.

HNAD

Me, too. Played the 18W version, & as I said in another thread, you can't beat Dr Zs tone for the price. Any other amps <$1500 US can't even come close IMO.

Alf, Alf, Alf. Don't condemn an amp if you haven't tried it!! Rule #1!! Any jackass can make a good amp sound bad , so don't base your decision on someone else playing it! Amps at this level really must be played & "felt" to be fully appreciated. Try one & see (but alas, no, they really won't do your uber-metal without some serious pedals in front).

Happy NAD. Love to see teh goood stuff!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
haha thanks for the comments everyone. I will try and do clips in the next few weeks. I'll have to get an attenuator to really crank it in front of an SM 57. Probably going with the Dr. Z Break Lite. I'll do some clips of me putting it through its paces and showing what the T5 can do with its electric half.
Sexy amp but i want the t5 more.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by gstacey1
Sexy amp but i want the t5 more.

haha i cant blame ya. I got a great deal on that guitar, too. $1300 used. they're normally 2k new so i was pretty glad to find this. Probably not something I would have bought new. If I was spending that kinda cash I'd have gotten a Taylor 614ce in honey brown