This question has been plaguing me for months, ever since I started learning theory and actually playing guitar a lot. I mean, what do I use to make on. Do I just play around with sounds until I find what's right or do I use all of those theory forumlas and such...possibly both. But I just wanted some insight on personal experience with songwriting or tips

Thank You So Much!

Logan S.
read up on progressions.

another easy thing u can do is to learn 1 rock song then make 1 that's kinda like the one u learned by changing somethings here and there.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Play what sounds good. Read up on progressions, but remember: theory is not a set of rules. There are no "theory formulas" as you seem to think. Theory describes what you hear, it doesn't rule what you play.
Find out how the theory you know fits into rock music. For example, if you understand chord progressions, then you'll soon realise that rock music uses the I-IV and V chords of a scale quite alot.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Sup you basically just find your own sounds that sound good to you and just really put them into a pattern in which you think is good. Same thing for solos to, ive already written two of my own thats in standard and d tuning but thats really all there is to it. hope this
Helps

Trever 597
. Do I just play around with sounds until I find what's right or do I use all of those theory forumlas and such...possibly both.QUOTE]

I don't know **** about theory or formulas, so I just mess around. I've composd one song, my problem is lyrics
i come up witha riff, or sound i like, then build around it. when i hit a bump, i turn to theory to push me in a direction and see if i find something that sounds good with it. i use theory more to assist, not guide. i'll use it to maybe figure out a good chord/note to start the chorus or bridge on. also i usually dont apply it directly, say i have a E jam, where i play with F and D(not applying theory here) around the E(root E on A-string, 7th fret) to give that chord some variation without going through a whole I-IV-V progression, but my chorus then i'd go and play the open A and 2nd fret B to fill out that IV-V portion.

hope that makes sence. thats how i wrote my 1st song where i knowingly applied some sort of theory.
There are alot of different ways...but I like to consider 2 things.

Harmony- Lyrics that can be sung alone. They have a cadence to them
Chorus of *Dirty Deeds* by ACDC
Chorus of *I love Rock and Roll by Joan Jett

Great song with Harmony throughout is *War* By Element Eighty

So take The Lyrics and create a cadence that sounds good Acapella...

Then you have the Melody...The Melody can carry bland lyrics..or a bland Melody can support great lyrics. Combine the two.

This is one of The things that made TooL so sucessful.

Most songs are simple so you can get away with one..but there is too much competition out there to stand out. NuMetal has gotten a bad rap because there are alot of songs that have Melody with no Harmony..or Vice Versa. This is why Bands are so successful when compared to solo artists.
I record with a friend that is such a natural with Harmony..and Im good with Melody.
I can write an instrumental that I cant find the words for. So it helps to find someone that compliments your not so great points.

Melody and Harmony can be subdivided into a million and one disciplines or areas of study...so dig in and get the most out of it that u can.

I like to write songs in drop tunings because it's very easy to play with intervals and come up with a rhythm. You dont have to record in drop tuning..but it really makes it simple.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Jul 11, 2009,