Soon I will be looking for a new job, and I've decided it's time to re-graduate from my crappy little practice amp to something I can at least use to play with a drummer on stage.

My only requirements:

- Must be under $500 CDN. I'm just looking for something cheap and effective. There'll be plenty of time to worry about stacks and whatnot in the future.
- Loudness is pretty much the one thing I'm looking for. But it's also gotta have a decent enough tone. Probably thinking 100W combo or something.
- ABSOLUTELY. NO. TONE. MODELLING.
- I'm not a brand***, but I refuse to buy Marshall or Peavey. I owned both before, and I'm just not interested in them anymore. As well, it's too bread-and-butter. I'm pretty open to any lesser-known brand names.
- As an owner of a 7-string, it should at least be able to handle some pretty rockin' low-end, but it's not an absolute requirement. ^^

Anything that fits that description?
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Peavey valveking man. Yes it goes against what you want but it is a good amp. The peavey modeling amps are **** just like any other modeling amp. It's just pure tube tone man. If not that go for a fender tube amp.
lots of missing info:

1. what type of music do you play?
2. is a tube amp important to you?
3. what speaker combos do you like? (4 10s, 2 12s...)
4. are you willing to buy used?
Last edited by JayLacelle at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by JayLacelle
lots of missing info:

1. what type of music do you play?
2. is a tube amp important to you?
3. what speaker combos do you like? (4 10s, 2 12s...)

1: Mostly progressive rock/metal, so I guess a good tonal variety is great.
2: Not important at all. Trying a tube amp might be nice though.
3: I don't really consider that important. As long as it's loud

Also I am willing to buy used, but only locally, not online.
Last edited by travislausch at Jul 9, 2009,
if you don't really care about it being tube then you may want to look into the fender FM 100 and buying a decent cab and a stompbox for distortion (its basically the most volume you can get for that price) The only all-tube amps for <500 CAN are usually pretty small (like 15-20 watts) so i guess you don't want that because they wouldn't be enough for gigs.

I know you said no modelling amps, but take a look at the VOX AD100VT. I hate modelling amps too, but the VOX ones are actually pretty decent. They have a tube preamp so you do get a warm bottom end and the models of cleaner amps work well with OD pedals. It's worth a try...i didn't think id ever buy a modelling amp but i did and i don't regret it (although i recently sold it to upgrade to something better, but it was still a great amp)
Why do you need over 100 watts? do you play large gigs?

also don't judge marshall and peavey based on single amps. they have good stuff and bad stuff just like every brand
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
what genres do you play??

and im guessing you owned peavey/Marshall practice amps and you havent even tried their tube amps
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Robino_Ibanez
Why do you need over 100 watts? do you play large gigs?

also don't judge marshall and peavey based on single amps. they have good stuff and bad stuff just like every brand

My drummer is... loud

And true, but... I just want to be different.

And WTF, I already said it, but I play progressive. Like the style of Pain Of Salvation, Dream Theater, Riverside, Porcupine Tree, Fates Warning...
Quote by travislausch
My drummer is... loud

And true, but... I just want to be different.

And WTF, I already said it, but I play progressive. Like the style of Pain Of Salvation, Dream Theater, Riverside, Porcupine Tree, Fates Warning...

sorry

get a B-52 AT112
it can handle Progressive very well
feel free to add me
Quote by JayLacelle
if you don't really care about it being tube then you may want to look into the fender FM 100 and buying a decent cab and a stompbox for distortion (its basically the most volume you can get for that price) The only all-tube amps for <500 CAN are usually pretty small (like 15-20 watts) so i guess you don't want that because they wouldn't be enough for gigs.

I know you said no modelling amps, but take a look at the VOX AD100VT. I hate modelling amps too, but the VOX ones are actually pretty decent. They have a tube preamp so you do get a warm bottom end and the models of cleaner amps work well with OD pedals. It's worth a try...i didn't think id ever buy a modelling amp but i did and i don't regret it (although i recently sold it to upgrade to something better, but it was still a great amp)

I will definitely check that recommendation out. I'm completely against even the idea of tone modelling in every sense of the word, but a good amp is a good amp.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
sorry

get a B-52 AT112
it can handle Progressive very well

I second the B-52

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
I second the B-52

I took a look at it on Musician's Friend. Daaaaaaaaayum, that is a sexy lookin' amp. But the MSRP on it is like $1000. Guess I gotta save my pennies...
Quote by travislausch
I took a look at it on Musician's Friend. Daaaaaaaaayum, that is a sexy lookin' amp. But the MSRP on it is like $1000. Guess I gotta save my pennies...

arn't they like $350?
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Acoustic DG-22 Ebony
Bugera 6262 combo
Blackheart Little Giant Half-stack
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by RaggityAnne08
arn't they like $350?

*Aren't

And according to Musician's Friend, the manufacturer's suggested retail price is something like $1080. Not sure what the street price is.

Also, just a reminder, < $500 CANADIAN. Not American.
If you're open to solid-states, The ampeg VH-140 has plenty of gain on tap, and is very loud. NOt sure about the price though.

However, for that budget, I would look into maybe a B-52. Those are 60W tube, which is all you'll need to jamming, and maybe small shows. Plus the gain on hand is killer.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by travislausch
$359.99

MSRP: $1,099.00

Either it's a discontinued product, used or blem product, or Musician's Friend is just GIVIN' them away. :|

the B-52 are discontinued and MF probably has plenty of them in storage so they cut of the price
feel free to add me
End of the day you have 1 of three choices...Marshall, Fender, Peavey...

Marshall for some nice High gain
Fender for a more "earthy sound"
Peavey between the two..
KM
Quote by JohnnyMcFly
End of the day you have 1 of three choices...Marshall, Fender, Peavey...

Marshall for some nice High gain
Fender for a more "earthy sound"
Peavey between the two..
KM

I thought there were other amp brand names
Musicians Friend ships to Canada, and if you convert your Canadian money to US, and add shipping, I think its around $600??? The Canadian dollar is decent right now.

(for the B-52)

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.