Ok, so I just recently bought an Ibanez RG5X1 which replaced my "Spectrum Strat" or something of that matter (came from a starter pack.) I play through a Crate VTX15 amp (not the best but it's pretty good) and I feel my new 400$ guitar doesn't sound as well as the 100$ one. I use a crappy Metal effects pedal also but my cheaper guitar handled it fine it seems. My Ibanez sounds a lot better loud but not quiet for some reason. Could it be the pickups or what?

Thanks for the help and ask if you need any more info.
Seriously, You should replace your AMP before your pickups. Think as replacing your pickups as the final tweak.

I think you just need to adjust your settings more. I have a bad habit of keeping the same settings for my guitars that are completely different
Ibanez.
Quote by kickasspats
Ok, so I just recently bought an Ibanez RG5X1 which replaced my "Spectrum Strat" or something of that matter (came from a starter pack.) I play through a Crate VTX15 amp (not the best but it's pretty good) and I feel my new 400$ guitar doesn't sound as well as the 100$ one. I use a crappy Metal effects pedal also but my cheaper guitar handled it fine it seems. My Ibanez sounds a lot better loud but not quiet for some reason. Could it be the pickups or what?

get used to playing it, quite frankly pickups do little to the tone when compared to effects/amp. Try plugging straight into the amp and play that way and see if the crappy pedal is ruining your tone.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
dont replace the pickups... just practice with what you got- you only hear a difference in tone in pickup changes with high end gear tbh... and you should only upgrade mid - high end gear and leave low end gear stock as upgrades wouldnt have that much benefit on low end gear
Ok thanks guys. I will replace my amp before pickups. And the tone is not a huge deal It just gets kind of annoying after a while especially because the other guitar might've sounded better. I probably just have to get used to it.
Quote by kickasspats

Your old guitar probably had Single Coils that you played through the pedal so it sounded fine. But Humbuckers make to much noise for it really

I'd suggest not using the Pedal and buying a new AMP (if you get a tube one a pedal would sound sweet through it)

/shrug just my 2 cents
look at a low cost tube amp and i think that that guitar will sound so much better. stay away from modeling amps cause they will rob you of tone.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by ZOMGdonuts
I'd suggest not using the Pedal and buying a new AMP (if you get a tube one a pedal would sound sweet through it)

Agreed.
"Blood is thicker then stripper sweat."
-Ballsuckulus "aka Marc Justus"
Quote by ZOMGdonuts
Your old guitar probably had Single Coils that you played through the pedal so it sounded fine. But Humbuckers make to much noise for it really

/shrug just my 2 cents

Humbuckers make less noise though that's the whole idea. I think TS might just prefer the sound of single coils
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
Humbuckers make less noise though that's the whole idea. I think TS might just prefer the sound of single coils

that's what i was thinking too as well since single coils have the 60 cycle hums which humbuckers just don't.