Have a budget of upto 800.

I'd like to spend less than 500 though.

I want a steel string, but I don't know if I should get a cutaway or an acoustic/electric...what are some good body and neck woods I should consider?

Also how do the tops of acoustic guitars work (I've seen things like spruce or laminate), please explain.

I'm also gonna be playing some classical, so should I get something with (it looks like a painted on pickguard...what is that?).

What are some good brands I should be looking at?
Godin Groupie says buy an Art and Lutherie or a Seagull
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I don't play acoustic but I'm currently looking at a Guild GAD-25. All solid mahogany with mother-of-pearl dots and headstock inlay. It's $679USD though. And doesn't have electronics.
1999 Fender '69 Thinline Telecaster Reissue
Ibanez TS-9
Vox AC4TV

Last.fm
Steel string = Martin/Taylor. 500 is a good chunk, and if you're willing to spend up to 600 you can get a decent guitar. personally i like non-electric acoustics, and then for shows etc. you can sit, and have a mic into the sound hole.
Guitars and Bass:
Fender Strat Mex.
Epi Junior
Epi Special
Ibanez Artcore (AS73)
Kawai Hand Made bass
Ibanez Acoustic
Yamaha Classical

Recording Stuff:
Korg D12
tascam 4track
peavey mics etc.
Lower end Takamines are fairly good and can go for that price. Higher end Yamaha's can get to around there and are fairly good.
I don't really know anything about woods, but Queensland Maple is gorgeous, but probably hard to get if you're not in Australia because it's an Australian wood.
What models should I be looking at?

Yesterday at GC, I played a very nice looking Dean Performer Series acoustic and it looked soo nice with its pearl designs.

How are the Solid Wood guitars listed on ebay, the one with all the intricate designs on em ?
NO DEAN PLEASE, Epiphone Masterbilts are awesome,

i'd recommend , try Parkwood guitars out
Quote by tubguy92
I want a steel string, but I don't know if I should get a cutaway or an acoustic/electric...what are some good body and neck woods I should consider?

Whether or not you want an acoustic/electric is entirely up to you, but as a beginner, I'd suggest a standard guitar, sans electronics. I think you may find that you wont use them enough to justify the additional cost at this point in your playing. As for body woods, mahogany, rosewood, maple, and various forms of imitation wood are common and often matched with certain types of spruce or cedar for the top. Neck wood makes less of an audible difference, but mahogany is by far the most common.

Quote by tubguy92
Also how do the tops of acoustic guitars work (I've seen things like spruce or laminate), please explain.

You can think about it like this. If you flap your hand you can make a little breeze. If you hold a big piece of cardboard, or something similar (like a guitar top), you get a LOT more air movement without adding much more work. This is analagous to the movement of and electric guitar string versus a guitar string attached to an acoustic top. As the strings move, they generate greater movement of air, and thus more sound (which is just moving air) than they would if used on a two-by-four, or electric guitar. The sides and back serve to create the necessary air pressure change and direct the sound toward the front of the guitar.

Quote by tubguy92
I'm also gonna be playing some classical, so should I get something with (it looks like a painted on pickguard...what is that?)..

No idea what your thinking of. You don't mean the rosette that goes around the soundhole, do you?

Quote by tubguy92
What are some good brands I should be looking at

In your range, most likely not Martin or Taylor. I like Blueridge and Breedlove, but the best way to decide is to go to a store and try them of for yourself.

Quote by jjennings216
Steel string = Martin/Taylor

I'm not sure what this meant, but a "steel string" guitar just means it is built for steel strings. I figure you may just be generalizing, but there are thousands of other manufacturers who make steel string guitars and Martin and Taylor produce some classicals too.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Jul 10, 2009,
Quote by tubguy92
How are the Epiphone Masterbilts?

Definitely check out the Masterbilts. I got one a few months ago and I love it. When I was at GC, I played just about everything they had under $1000 (and some that cost a lot more than that just for fun ), but I kept coming back to the Masterbilts. They felt better, played better, and sounded better to me than even the Martins that were under $1000.

Really you should just play everything in your price range and see which ones sound the best to you. You're going to like a guitar that you know feels best to you a lot better than one that someone else told you to buy.
always get a solid top.

go to your local store and play all the guitars from $300 to $500 and see which feels best. if you don't play at all, at least hold them and see what's comfy. bring a guitar playing friend to play the guitars that interest you and see which sound the best to you.

good brands in that price range would be yamaha (check the 700 series), seagull, blueridge, taylor, martin, maybe art and luthier, walden if you can find any, and i was also impressed with the higher end alvarez regent series guitars. i'm not so hot on the epi masterbilts. i've seen 2 with bulging problems at the bridge and i find their sound to be less than consistent, so maybe not so great for a beginner to choose.

cutaway is a personal sort of thing. you'll be fine if your guitar doesn't have one.

i wouldn't worry about the woods - just have someone play the guitars for you till you hear something you like.

good luck and have fun!
consider a cedar top, but also keep in mind that strings can make a big difference in brightness.

btw, not all bright guitars are twangy. taylors are bright but never twangy where some gibsons are twangy but not bright. just sayin'...

Quote by tomsy49
Im in the market for a new acoustic guitar. I know that i want a solid top and it should be around 500 give or take 100 i guess. I would like a warm sounding guitar rather than a bright and twangy one. I also prefer a non electric acoustic. Any help from you guys will be great.