Some of my fingers freeze up and I get sloppy. So I was wondering what kind of exercises or techniques could train my fingers so that they move smoothly and clean. I did chromatic stuff like 1 - 2 - 3 -4 , 1 - 3 - 2- 1, Stuff like that. What others?
Thanks
3nps scales? What kind are those? And also any scales in particular that are really hard so I can practice them? I mostly play minor pentatonic scales and those aren't too hard so I don't really know any hard scales.
Work on your muting techniques and practice with a metronome. There are no "hard" scales. Make up your own "tongue twisters" with your fingers that will make your brain think in different ways and play them as cleanly as possible.
Quote by Splagl
3nps scales? What kind are those? And also any scales in particular that are really hard so I can practice them? I mostly play minor pentatonic scales and those aren't too hard so I don't really know any hard scales.

Scale's aren't "hard" and the'yre not a technique - what you should be doing is looking to construct exercises from the scales you know, something that has a little more to it than simply playing the notes in sequence.

Ultimately though it doesn't matter what you practice, how you practice is what matters, when your fingers freeze up it's simply because you haven't practice the thing you're trying to play enough, either that or you haven't practiced it the right way. Like people have said slow down and focus on getting the movements perfect, concentrate on accuracy, hitting things cleanly and in time. Approach EVERYTHING you play with that in mind and things will improve.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 10, 2009,
take a look at lessons and simply try any exercice you find there-some are really helpfull.Also,check out Freepower's videos and topics around,they are very usefull.
Quote by steven seagull
Scale's aren't "hard" and the'yre not a technique - what you should be doing is looking to construct exercises from the scales you know, something that has a little more to it than simply playing the notes in sequence.

Ultimately though it doesn't matter what you practice, how you practice is what matters, when your fingers freeze up it's simply because you haven't practice the thing you're trying to play enough, either that or you haven't practiced it the right way. Like people have said slow down and focus on getting the movements perfect, concentrate on accuracy, hitting things cleanly and in time. Approach EVERYTHING you play with that in mind and things will improve.

Thanks for that. That's a really good way of explaining it.
Thanks
dont forget to use alternate picking
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Here are 3 exercises which I got from Morello and Satriani guitar lesson videos:

D -------------------------------------------------------------
A ---------------9h10h12---------------9h10h12---------
E --8h10h12---------------8h10h12----------------------

D --------------9h10h12---------------9h10h12----------
A --9h10h12---------------9h10h12----------------------
E --------------------------------------------------------------

G --------------9h11h12---------------9h11h12----------
D --9h10h12---------------9h10h12----------------------
A --------------------------------------------------------------
Also try it with any other scale. Make it as fluid as possible.
Morello also uses this technique in some solos.

e -----------------------------------------------------------------------5h7h8h10-
B ----------------------------------------------------------5h7h8h10--------------
G --------------------------------------------5h7h8h10----------------------------
D ------------------------------5h7h8h10------------------------------------------
A ----------------5h7h8h10--------------------------------------------------------
E --5h7h8h10----------------------------------------------------------------------
Practise things like that everywhere on the neck. Again as fast and fluid as possible.

e ------------------------
B ------------------------
G --4--1--5--2--6--3--
D --3--2--4--3--5--4--
A --2--3--3--4--4--5--
E --1--4--2--5--3--6--
Do that all over the neck, change strings, and so on.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz