So I have an EHX russian Big muff, which as some of you know, has terrible battery life. So i was thinking, if I used a SPST switch to break the connection (the red wire coming from the battery connector) would it not drain the battery if I leave it plugged in?
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
put a dc jack on it and power it with an adapter. easier solution than a switch and it'll save you money in the long run versus batteries. i know it doesnt answer your question but it's definitely a better solution.
You could modify it to hav 2 9V battereis in parralell, or switch it to DC, but make sure to insulate it well.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by walker-rose
So I have an EHX russian Big muff, which as some of you know, has terrible battery life. So i was thinking, if I used a SPST switch to break the connection (the red wire coming from the battery connector) would it not drain the battery if I leave it plugged in?

Yes, that would work.
Ive tried powering it with a DC jack and it worked but it buzzed horribly!

How would running 2 9v's in parallel help? Im going to do what I was asking about but id just like to know what it would do.

Thank you guys for the replies!
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Having 2 9Vs in parralell, would keep the voltage the same, but increase the amount of battery life(not sure what term it is)
How long would it normally be, that you pedal can work on batteries?
No. At best it would only lengthen the time between battery changes. But then when you had to change it it would be two batteries instead of one. You would still get teh same operating time per battery. Also, I am not sure if it would work at all.
Quote by cedricsmods
No. At best it would only lengthen the time between battery changes. But then when you had to change it it would be two batteries instead of one. You would still get teh same operating time per battery. Also, I am not sure if it would work at all.

that's what I meant, It would make a longer time between changes, but It'd make you change 2, or 1 since it's in parallel.
It would increase the time you could have it on without switching batteries.
No offense timbit, but you seem to have really weird, semi-unhelpful advice (and I don't mean that in a good way)

Walker, I think your SPST switch idea would work great, in effect it's just a killswitch in the pedal right?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
^its more like a killswitch for the power. if i remember correctly, quite a few people were doing that a couple years ago. it was sorta like the battery saving fad of the time. these days most people seem to use daisy chains, but the spst switch is still a great option.
I see. Might have to try that out sometime. Thanks Jimmy!
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by jof1029
^its more like a killswitch for the power. if i remember correctly, quite a few people were doing that a couple years ago. it was sorta like the battery saving fad of the time. these days most people seem to use daisy chains, but the spst switch is still a great option.

So it's essentially this?

For those wondering: That's my single greatest invention ever, "LED Breadboard 2000". It's simplistic yet elegant design allows it to be duct taped to any guitar for instant LED effects!
Quote by walker-rose

Are russians considerably different to americans then (schematics, not tonality)? My USA lasts forever on a battery.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Hunter nailed it.

Walker, does your Muff have the battery ground tied to a stereo input? (so that the battery is disconnected when no cable is plugged in?) Of course even if it does you could still add the spst switch.
Quote by bv310
No offense timbit, but you seem to have really weird, semi-unhelpful advice (and I don't mean that in a good way)

No offence taken.