Page 1 of 2
OK I've had my schecter for about a year now and I wanna upgrade the pickups.
ATM They have alnico humbuckers or something of the sort.. they're not terrible but they're nothing special.
The guitar is pretty much permanently in drop c and used for teh br00t3lz
I don't know a great deal about differences in pickups (passive/active/etc) so what would you recommend. Oh and should i attempt installing them myself? Local stores would probably charge me wayyyy to much but i don't wanna screw the job up.
Price range.. bout.. $100.. $120US each.
Thanks
Pickups are pretty easy to install yourself. You just have to follow the wiring diagram from the company (or general for that type of wiring).So with a soldering iron and solder you can DIY.

As for specific pickups, it depends what you want in the each position. Do you want the bridge to be a high output gainy one for the br00t4lz and the neck to be more laid back and smooth for leads? or what specifically?
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
i would recommend a dimarzio D sonic
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Hmm... I want one to be pretty harsh.. like I'm aiming for some pretty rough guitar work, like (don't hate me) Bring me the horizon, parkway drive, as blood runs black, august burns red, etc etc. And neck a bit smoother i guess for solos and the occasional clean channel play.
Hmm, would you mind telling us the wood type of the body of the guitar?
Definitely go with Seymore Duncan. Just go to their website and read the descriptions to all their pickups, then choose the one's you think would best fit the tone you're looking for. You will not be disappointed.
mexican_shred here's some info

Schecter Omen Extreme 6 FR Electric Guitar Features:

* Style: Double-cutaway solidbody
* Body: Basswood
* Construction: Bolt-on maple neck
* Scale Length: 25.5"
* Fingerboard: Rosewood
* Frets: 24 extra-jumbo
* Inlays: Vector
* Pickups: Schecter Diamond Plus high-output alnico humbuckers
* Electronics: Vol/Tone (with coil-splitting)/3-way toggle
* Bridge: Licensed Floyd Rose locking tremolo
* Binding: Multi-ply black/creme purfling with creme on top and headstock, creme on fretboard
* Tuners: Schecter
* Hardware: Black chrome

Any kind you might recommend? I'll have a looksy though.
Alright, so basswood is a pretty neutral tone wood. So that means we have some open options. For a neck pup with smooth leads and good cleans Dimarzio's Paf line(paf,paf pro, paf joe) and the air norton are wonderful in that aspect. As for the bridge for le br00t4lz, you have alot of choices. Personally i like the D sonic in this case, but my suggestion is to go to the sites of seymour duncan and dimarzio( and other pup company sites) and read through the pup description, listen to the "clips" and see which one you like the feel of for.
TS, you do realize that between the modelling amp and the digital multiFX... there'll be practically ZERO difference when you do a pup swap.

In fact, your Distortion Factory will suck away any tonal nuances and characteristics from your guitar and pickup.

That said, I really wonder what's your tone like, running a distortion pedal in front of a modelling amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 10, 2009,
ATM i sort of like the SD blackouts, but like the EMG 81/85 setup abit more... sounds a bit more.. crunchy and metally? ha
How hard would it be to take my current pickups out, and hook these ones up?
I don't exactly have expertise in soldering.
Quote by braydz
ATM i sort of like the SD blackouts, but like the EMG 81/85 setup abit more... sounds a bit more.. crunchy and metally? ha
How hard would it be to take my current pickups out, and hook these ones up?
I don't exactly have expertise in soldering.

You'll need to change your pots if you're changing from passives to actives.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I have no idea how i would do that.
Oh and i tried to respond to your comment b4 but the forum closed for a bit.
For the schecter i use the onboard gain which is pretty good.
And I've sold my df7, i have a big muff usa tone wicker now which is for my tele mostly.
Would it be hard to get these pickups installed? Because a guitar store would probably charge me upwards of $100AU to do.. they rip you off here.
Quote by braydz
I have no idea how i would do that.
Oh and i tried to respond to your comment b4 but the forum closed for a bit.
For the schecter i use the onboard gain which is pretty good.
And I've sold my df7, i have a big muff usa tone wicker now which is for my tele mostly.
Would it be hard to get these pickups installed? Because a guitar store would probably charge me upwards of $100AU to do.. they rip you off here.

Its not hard, but if you're doing it for the first time, you will need the better part of 8 hours. There are a few tutorials around you can use for reference.

While I admit that alnicos aren't the most ideal for metal IMO, you should change your amp first. That will make a massive difference to your tone. With a modelling amp, you'll notice only maybe 10% improvement in tone. With a good amp, you'll notice massive differences in your tone. Maybe 40% difference, if I had to put a number to it.

EDIT... on second thought I think you may need approx 4 - 6 hours. I took 8 hours to change all my wiring, pots, pup selector and pickups.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Yeah i know i need a new amp but I'm getting one end of year for sure so I'm getting my guitars all nice and how i want them now so they'll sound sweet with my new amp.

With the wiring and stuff.. i could probably do.. but i just don't understand how I'm sposed to fit everything in and do this and that like... you can't connect it all up outside the guitar then put it in, gotta hook bits up inside... sounds hard.
Quote by braydz
Yeah i know i need a new amp but I'm getting one end of year for sure so I'm getting my guitars all nice and how i want them now so they'll sound sweet with my new amp.

With the wiring and stuff.. i could probably do.. but i just don't understand how I'm sposed to fit everything in and do this and that like... you can't connect it all up outside the guitar then put it in, gotta hook bits up inside... sounds hard.

You get your amp then you use your pickups to tweak your sound. There are too many variables which impact how pickups sound through the amp. That's the reason that some pickups sound good in some guitars and not others.

Therefore, you always get your amp first, see how your guitar sounds through that amp then only get pups to tweak to final sound.

Getting your pickups before your amp will lead to wasting money, because you may find the amp brighter than you expected and your bright pups make it sound sharp or the tone may be too bright, lack thump, lack harmonics etc etc etc... there are simply too many variables with questions marks for you to be able to effective make pup changes effectively.

You mean you want to know how which wires to connect where, how many wires you need is etc amirite?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I know but doesn't it make more sense if i get the pickups in the guitar i want.. that way i can try out amps and it will give me the exact sound I'll be getting? Eh either way whatev.

Yeah i need like some pretty detailed instructions. Not just connect this to this.. like.. wtf is one.. how do i get in to that part of the guitar and what not.
Quote by braydz
I know but doesn't it make more sense if i get the pickups in the guitar i want.. that way i can try out amps and it will give me the exact sound I'll be getting? Eh either way whatev.

Yeah i need like some pretty detailed instructions. Not just connect this to this.. like.. wtf is one.. how do i get in to that part of the guitar and what not.

Seymour Duncan's site has comprehensive wiring diagrams you can use as a reference.

Honestly, you caught me on a bad day, otherwise I'll give you a tutorial on understanding the wiring and how you should go about wiring things. Today, I just don't feel up to it.

Regarding getting into the innards of the guitar, you just take a screw driver and unscrew the cover plates behind your guitar... nothing to it. All the wires will be exposed there.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Haha fair enough.
What do you personally think would be more suited to that guitar for the metalz
From the youtube vids ive heard i like the emg 81/85 setup.. sounds crunchy and gritty.
The blackouts sound more... for like instrumental metal stuff like between the buried and me whereas I'm playing more high gain stuff.
Quote by braydz
Haha fair enough.
From the youtube vids ive heard i like the emg 81/85 setup.. sounds crunchy and gritty.
The blackouts sound more... for like instrumental metal stuff like between the buried and me whereas I'm playing more high gain stuff.

I can't say... I don't have sufficient experience with both the EMGs and the Blackouts to be able to make such a decision. I'm more biased towards passive pickups.

If you want something boutique and passive, I'd recommend a Bare Knuckle Miracle Man, Painkiller, Nailbomb or Warpig for the metalz.

You could also look at the new EMG X series.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
try EMG 81/60, that's the best combination of EMG's, you can have nice metal tone and decent cleans. by the way that's what James Hetfield uses, that gives an idea of the heaviness you can get out of them
Yeah this guitar is like permanently in drop c.. so i won't be playing any metallicas on it ha
Just need something that's gritty and can work well with large amounts of gain a what not.
EMG 81/60 I'll have a look at though.
The EMG 81/60 is probably a good choice if you want to go active.

For passive options, you have quite a few options. Probably a DiMarzio D-Sonic would be a good choice for a bridge pickup. PAF Pro and Air Norton = superb neck pickup choices.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Are you aware that the reason EMGs are termed 'high gain' is because the name stuck from the days when passives could not push tubes strongly enough. These days, a number of passive pickups can push just as much signal as actives pickups can.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Well frankly I'm open to anything
If it makes it easier and they're around the same price/quality.. I'll have a passive pickup.
EMG was just a starting point.
What's some good passive combos (don't have to be same brand) i could try?
Passive probably make it easier to switch pickups too.
Quote by braydz
Well frankly I'm open to anything
If it makes it easier and they're around the same price/quality.. I'll have a passive pickup.
EMG was just a starting point.
What's some good passive combos (don't have to be same brand) i could try?
Passive probably make it easier to switch pickups too.

Yes, you don't have to change your potentiometers... and its usually a drop in.

For drop tunings... nothing beats the DiMarzio D Sonic... tighter than Paris Hilton's XXX before she released the doggy video and definitely tighter than any rapper's rhymes.

I'm leaving work now... I'll try to post some others when I get home.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Anyone have any more passive recommendations.
How about the dimarzio x2n.. has some pretty good reviews.
Quote by braydz
Haha fair enough.

BTBAM uses emg's...

EDIT: i still stand by the d sonics, they have a very tight and modern sound with a low end perfect for low tunings and metal in general. john petrucci used them for a while, just so you have a point of reference
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Jul 10, 2009,
They do look pretty like... modern heavy music drop tuning compatible hey, the d sonics.
But it has like, 2 parts to it.. one for pimpin heavy ****, one for smooth leads.... wouldn't i just want the entire bridge to be pimpin heavy **** and then entire neck to be for smooth leads?
:S Like what neck pup would go with that
only bump after 24 hours, jeez. i would go with that ebay deal, unless your guitar isn't f spaced
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Ha sorry was trying to get a response before bed.
Um f spaced means spaces for guitars with floyd trems hey?
Coz the guitar I'm putting it into has floyd trem.
Is that a good combo, those 2 pickups, for some real heavy drop tuning stuff and then get me some nice smooth leads on the neck pup?
Quote by braydz
Ha sorry was trying to get a response before bed.
Um f spaced means spaces for guitars with floyd trems hey?
Coz the guitar I'm putting it into has floyd trem.
Is that a good combo, those 2 pickups, for some real heavy drop tuning stuff and then get me some nice smooth leads on the neck pup?

You use F spaced for Floyd rose bridge types

That seems like an alright deal. Just cross check that buying them separately would be more or about teh same price.
It's actually cheaper that combo with the d-sonic in the bridge and air norton in the neck.
Is that a decent combo? otherwise I was thinkin a X2N in the bridge and something else in the neck..
I'm assuming the d sonic better for me because guitars in drop c so.
Bad thing is i don't think I'll have a crack at installing myself, looks difficult and if i **** up just 1 little bit I've just blown $150US... even though I'd be spending another $100US to get them installed.. bit of a rip.
Quote by braydz
It's actually cheaper that combo with the d-sonic in the bridge and air norton in the neck.
Is that a decent combo? otherwise I was thinkin a X2N in the bridge and something else in the neck..
I'm assuming the d sonic better for me because guitars in drop c so.
Bad thing is i don't think I'll have a crack at installing myself, looks difficult and if i **** up just 1 little bit I've just blown $150US... even though I'd be spending another $100US to get them installed.. bit of a rip.

the d sonic, air norton is a great combo. The air norton is a great neck pup, as i've been finding out the past couple of weeks. installing at first can seem daunting but if you follow the schems from the site and what comes with the pup you can do it no problem
So it's good for the heavy stuff then?
I mean heavy as in parkway drive, not.. trivium.. if you k now what i mean?
Not technical metal, just chugga chugga WEE WEE WEEE
XD
And I'm not the best at using a solder... would i have to route or do anything physical to the guitar?
Also, it has a floyd rose... aren't you sposed to like never take all the strings off at once? but you have to to put the new pups in.. :S
Quote by braydz
So it's good for the heavy stuff then?
I mean heavy as in parkway drive, not.. trivium.. if you k now what i mean?
Not technical metal, just chugga chugga WEE WEE WEEE
XD
And I'm not the best at using a solder... would i have to route or do anything physical to the guitar?
Also, it has a floyd rose... aren't you sposed to like never take all the strings off at once? but you have to to put the new pups in.. :S

the air notron is very clean and smooth. The d sonic can get chugga chugga

as for the floyd rose what you do is put something underneath the trem like a nine volt to suspend it in eh air and take off the strings while its floating like that. that way tension is still in the springs. Then restring when your done.
Ahh clever
I thought you didn't take em off coz it could warp the neck or some ****.
Is much soldering involved? What does it mostly entail.. coz I'm going from passives (i think :S) to moer passives so it can't be too much to do.
I'm just afraid I'll connect something wrong.. turn on.. and **** the pups
Page 1 of 2