My guitar is a Brazen Fantasy Deluxe.
-Swamp Ash body
-5pc maple/rosewood neck
-Flame maple fingerboard
-Push-pull pot integrated in the master tone dial to split the pickups.

That said, this is what I want:
-On the gain side I want something that's good for general rock, hard rock, alt, and classic metal.
-I want the neck to be as creamy as possible.
-For the bridge and mix positions with split coil, I want a nice sparkly, jangly, acoustic sound.

Any suggestions that can be purchased from Guitar Center? I was looking into Bare Knuckles, but would also like to hear about some cheaper options, like Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio... preferably models that fit without extra routing: picture.
Last edited by G.9 at Jul 10, 2009,
Blackouts? I have them in my Explorer and I can get almost all sounds out of them! Even singlecoil-esque bluesy sound and cristal clear clean tones, but I mainly use 'em for the nice high gain metal sound!

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
Well, I'd prefer passives for a simpler, less costly installation.

Also, this is for my softer musical side. For metal I've got a S7320 loaded with two Bare Knuckle Painkillers.

I emailed Seymour Duncan and they suggested Custom Custom in the bridge and APH-1 in the neck. Anyone second?
BKs get my vote. Definately get over on their forums and ask about.

But otherwise, what SD recommended sounds good, otherwise maybe a classic JB/59 combo?
I already did. They suggested Crawlers or Abraxas sets. But that'll put me back $340 (covered calibrated) for a $645 guitar, whereas a SD or Dimarzio set will be a third of that price. I'll have to get a quote from this particular US dealer I buy from, but based upon the BK website...

So... anyone second the JBBridge/59 neck over the Custom Custom bridge/APH-1 neck?
Its pricey, but Seymour Duncan Custom Shop '78 model. I got one, best pup I've ever heard.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Its pricey, but Seymour Duncan Custom Shop '78 model. I got one, best pup I've ever heard.

Calibrated set is $300, right? If I'm going to shell out that kind of money, I'd rather go for Bare Knuckles.
well a prs dragon II (neck) is a very creamy sounding neck pickup. the santana model is similar but with less output. its almost too fat for me but that isnt a problem with coil split. as for a bridge pickup, something like a dimarzio tone zone or norton might be a good bet.
Quote by G.9
Calibrated set is $300, right? If I'm going to shell out that kind of money, I'd rather go for Bare Knuckles.

Why would you need a calibrated set first of all? Get it for the bridge and combine it with something else and why would you think Bareknuckle pups are better? Just saying. Its a Custom Shop pup, build to order by the Maricela Juarez.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Why would you need a calibrated set first of all? Get it for the bridge and combine it with something else and why would you think Bareknuckle pups are better? Just saying. Its a Custom Shop pup, build to order by the Maricela Juarez.

You hadn't suggested a neck, so I just made a rash assumption.

You know what they say about hype, but it does count for something. When it comes to boutique/customs, BK's have a pretty loud fanbase. When I asked down at sevenstring.org for pup suggestions for my S7320, I can't remember anyone suggesting a SD. Obviously, this is just one community I'm talking here, and I myself don't have too much experience. BK's are also all made to order.
go do the dimarzio pickup finder?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson