I have a Strat currently on 9's and I want to put on some 11's for more tone and sustain. I now I need to put more springs, maybe widen the slots in the nut, do the truss rod adjustments and check intonation, but what do i need to look 4 when i do the truss rod adjustments? i heard it has to be credit card thin off the neck at the 7th-9th fret when i fret the first fret and the 21st fret on my strat. is that correct?

when i do truss rod action what does counter and and non counter do?

im gonna try different bands of stings too and would probably use elixrs or ernie balls.
i ddon't have 60 bucks for the pros in hawai, but im trying to work out some deals. but if i can't, i want to do it myself if possible.
Do you know how the truss rod works? You tighten/ loosen it to adjust the amount of bow in the neck.

In your situation, I would suggest putting the strings on (setting everything else up like you described) then tuning up slowly, maybe stopping a step below where you normally play. See what the neck is doing, then make adjustments as needed; there isn't really a rule except to get the action how you like it.

You'll find that turning the truss rod one way tightens it up, and the other way loosens it. Check around on some more sites for real nice pictures and to find out which way does what (I can never remember).

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I find the best way is to just put the strings on, wait about an hour or two, and then adjust to taste. Most likely, the action will be quite a bit higher because of the increase in string tension, so tighten the truss rod until the neck straightens down and the string height is at YOUR personal preference. Then check for any string buzz when fretting or bending, and then fine tune your adjustment.

Good luck!

Edit: To the guy above, it's Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey ( ) and tightening the truss rod straightens it out, and loosening it puts a bow in it. That's how I remember anyways......
Gear:
-Saga strat, modded with guitarfetish p/ups
-epiphone abomination (don't know what it's called) with scalloped neck and power rails gfs p/up
-Fender Twin Reverb
-Blues screamer pedal
-Boss Turbo overdrive
Last edited by The_7th_Nerf at Jul 10, 2009,
Quote by guitarcam123
sounds like you should just take it to a pro
sounds like you should answer his question or stay the hell out of the thread, spam-boy.

Quote by jpsguitarguy
I have a Strat currently on 9's and I want to put on some 11's for more tone and sustain. I now I need to put more springs, maybe widen the slots in the nut, do the truss rod adjustments and check intonation, but what do i need to look 4 when i do the truss rod adjustments? i heard it has to be credit card thin off the neck at the 7th-9th fret when i fret the first fret and the 21st fret on my strat. is that correct?

when i do truss rod action what does counter and and non counter do?

im gonna try different bands of stings too and would probably use elixrs or ernie balls.
1 - Don't measure from the fretboard itself, measure from the fret. a credit card is way too thick. Thickness of the e-string is more than I leave. You just want something positive.

2 - Probably less confusing if you don't use the word action when talking about truss rod. Looking into the end of the rod, clockwise tightens the truss rod. That compensates for the strings' tendency to bow the neck, ends forward. Get it close an hour after you tension your strings. Get it closer the next day. Get it perfect the day after that. Remember, you still want a gap.

Different brands won't have much difference in tension, if the gauges are the same.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
It only cost me a fiver for my guitar shop guy to set up my neck for .11s
But i would definitely take it to a pro, since if you muck up your nice new shiny fender, you're not gonna be happy
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
make sure you be very gently with the nut.

dont force the strings in.

some people use graphite or nut lube.

If you force the bigger size string in you could break or chip it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
sounds like you should answer his question or stay the hell out of the thread, spam-boy.

You're so brutal sometimes

But listen to SYK, and you should be able to change up pretty easily, because in my experience there isnt too much adjusting needed. But, every guitar is different.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.