Im thinking of buying a Gibson SG.

Not too cheap though. has to be well built.

Whats the best price to go for?

Not epiphone, I wanna something good.
Turtles R awesome. dont agree? YOU GO TO HELL, YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

PSN: Purple-munky

Gear...
Ion - acoustic guitar.
Cort KX1Q - i smashed it
Fender Super Champ XD 15w
Stagg G-310 - i smashed it.

I played this a couple of days ago and think it is eons above the Epiphone SG's.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by Pac_man0123
@ CarbonDeath

That's hardly even an SG shape o_O

Yeah not being exactly an sg shouldn't matter, but it's light, has two horns almost symmetrical and a smaller body. Compared to my friends G-400 it blows it out of the water.

EDIT: Plus this neck is to die for. I don't know what it is, but it's just the perfect combination of thin and thick.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Last edited by CarbonDeath at Jul 10, 2009,
That Hagstrom looks so nice! How much do they go for?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
That Hagstrom looks so nice! How much do they go for?

lol, $240 or something ridiculous. I played it thinking,'Man this is going to be crap.' Put it down and was just amazed. It play's like a lighter SG but the neck feels better and is a bit lighter. I don't know, I fell in love.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Yeah, I have an original 1970's Hagstrom 3. It has that same exact body style with a strat style headstock and 3 single coil pickups. Instead of knobs it has switches. It is Just amazing and the neck is so thin and nice. But as For SG's. The SG Special worn is pretty nice. I actually like the feel of them over the Standards becuase of the finish. But don't be afraid to check out some of the Higher end epiphones. I play an Epiphone G-400 1966 reissue and it compares to the Gibsons for feel and cosmetics, but you wioll want to upgrade the pickups.
Quote by vinnie-watt5
Im thinking of buying a Gibson SG.

Not too cheap though. has to be well built.

Whats the best price to go for?

Not epiphone, I wanna something good.

do you want an actual cheap gibson sg or just a cheap sg copy? if it's the latter then the epiphone g-400 provided you find a model that is in good condition
First of all, High-end epiphones > Low-end Gibsons. That being said, I also enjoy the occasional Tokai.

But if you must get a Gibson, I would advise against the faded series, I didn't like it as much as a Standard SG. The only fadeds worth looking at are the ones eith Ebony fingerboards and crescent moon inlays. I haven't tried one, but they look sexy
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Tokai SG75 in my opinion. A lot better then Gibson SG Special and your not paying for the headstock.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by wolfy808
First of all, High-end epiphones > Low-end Gibsons. That being said, I also enjoy the occasional Tokai.

But if you must get a Gibson, I would advise against the faded series, I didn't like it as much as a Standard SG. The only fadeds worth looking at are the ones eith Ebony fingerboards and crescent moon inlays. I haven't tried one, but they look sexy

High-end epiphone > low end gibson is nonsense in a fair few cases:

firstly some people like the faded finish for reasons other than the price

secondly, epiphone's elitist series were more consistent (while they were in production) than low end gibsons, meaning people who like that kind of guitar will probably like most of the elitist epi's they play. so it's a safer bet if you can't try before you buy. however, while most people who like gibsons in the first place will probably absolutely love one out of about 30 odd gibsons more than they'd like an elitist epi. and that's not because the rest suck - it's because the rest just aren't right for them, whereas one of these remaining guitars might be "the one" for someone else. so much variation that a perfectly good guitar is often mistaken for "a lemon" because it just wasn't right for the person who played it first.

^and to say a korean/chinese made tokai is better than a gibson is ridiculous. the tokais are nice guitars but it's the same thing as the high end epiphones really - oh and they aren't usually as good as high end epiphones. the old MIJ tokais, however...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 10, 2009,
Yeah, good point. All companies have their share of lemons and gems. Of course I was referring to the overall line of guitars in general. I would much rather play the Gibson Les Paul studio in my local store over an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul, but another studio I tried fell pale to the Epiphone elitsit I demoed.

EDIT: Yes, it may seema bit ridiculuosus, however, if he wants a cheap SG, a good MIJ tokai will definitely be a better buy. (Which were there Tokai's I were referring to, a Junior in my high school owns one, and we both agreed it was better than the SG fadeds we've both tried.

But of course personal preference varies from person to person.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Last edited by wolfy808 at Jul 10, 2009,
yep - but a MIJ tokai might not be easy to find as they are very sought after guitars for obvious reasons. the korean and chinese tokais are still very good guitars for the price and often require just a little bit of tweaking to make them gig-worthy guitars. They are about on the same level as the PRS SE series quality wise.

but if you can afford a gibson, and there's a shop you can get to which sells them, try them all out and see if there's one that really does it for you. And if possible go used - you're likely to get a better guitar for cheaper! Although TS you'll need to specify how much you're willing to pay before we can recommend any alternatives.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by ElvenLord
This. ESP guitars are just great

Too bad he wants something that actually resembles a SG and all the decent LTD vipers have emg 81/85.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
Too bad he wants something that actually resembles a SG and all the decent LTD vipers have emg 81/85.

and what's wrong with emg 81/85? maybe the ts wants them maybe not it's not that hard to change pickups.
Last edited by azn_guitarist25 at Jul 10, 2009,

ESP LTD Deluxe series Viper-1000, with Seymour Duncan pickups.

Also comes with a flame maple top and EMG's, but that's less traditional. Either way, excellent quality, costs way less than any Gibson SG.

The SG special isn't that great. Anything below the Standard isn't really worth buying, but that one's kind of expensive.
TS, Pity you are over the water or I'd have suggested the Vintage 'Fool' tribute guitar
http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html
Scroll down a bit.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by wolfy808

you sir are wrong in my belif anyway

i have an 07 epiphone tony iommi and a 07 gibson sg special faded ad the faded runs rings round it it plays much nicer then my freinds standard also (i dont really know if i just got lucky cos i have seen some shoddy quality ones but in my case i got a one piece body with nice grain and a lovely neck and sound with no cosmetic floors whatsoever) but you are right about tokai get a usg75 if u can richtone sells em for about 500
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Quote by Blompcube
yep - but a MIJ tokai might not be easy to find as they are very sought after guitars for obvious reasons. the korean and chinese tokais are still very good guitars for the price and often require just a little bit of tweaking to make them gig-worthy guitars. They are about on the same level as the PRS SE series quality wise.

but if you can afford a gibson, and there's a shop you can get to which sells them, try them all out and see if there's one that really does it for you. And if possible go used - you're likely to get a better guitar for cheaper! Although TS you'll need to specify how much you're willing to pay before we can recommend any alternatives.

actually there easy to find
richtone has loads of them
theirs also loads on ebay
im considering buying the mij sg actually its like 500
GEAR
Orange AD-30 Combo

Trust me, get a faded. It was my first guitar, and I still play it to this day. Its got great feel, and is punchy as hell. I personally like the faded finish too.
Gibson.
Quote by steve!
actually there easy to find
richtone has loads of them
theirs also loads on ebay
im considering buying the mij sg actually its like 500

ah, yes.. i thought the MIJ tokais were very expensive and only sold in japan - my mistake. Well, most of them are pretty expensive, but i would imagine the MIJ SG is at least just as good as a gibson SG special judging by the price - maybe better. Even the chinese tokais i've played were quite nicely built though the quality control is a bit inconsistent.

^@ the 2 people above me: you can't really make blanket statements about any particular model gibson make as they are so varied. my '07 les paul studio faded is a fantastic guitar, but that doesn't mean they all are, and in fact, mine has the 'wrong' neck profile - they are marketed as having the fat '59 rounded profile like the les paul sunbursts, but i've not played a single les paul studio which has had a neck anything like that, and mine in particular has something more of a '60s profile. i wouldn't like it as much if it had the "correct" neck profile, mind! the same level of variation applies to the SG special though - it's just common sense. they are also sometimes hit and miss, as some are just generally better than others.

Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by Blompcube
ah, yes.. i thought the MIJ tokais were very expensive and only sold in japan - my mistake. Well, most of them are pretty expensive, but i would imagine the MIJ SG is at least just as good as a gibson SG special judging by the price - maybe better. Even the chinese tokais i've played were quite nicely built though the quality control is a bit inconsistent.

^@ the 2 people above me: you can't really make blanket statements about any particular model gibson make as they are so varied. my '07 les paul studio faded is a fantastic guitar, but that doesn't mean they all are, and in fact, mine has the 'wrong' neck profile - they are marketed as having the fat '59 rounded profile like the les paul sunbursts, but i've not played a single les paul studio which has had a neck anything like that, and mine in particular has something more of a '60s profile. i wouldn't like it as much if it had the "correct" neck profile, mind! the same level of variation applies to the SG special though - it's just common sense. they are also sometimes hit and miss, as some are just generally better than others.

exactly liek i said before i love my faded sg special its a one piece body and its lovely
but iv seen and played ones that were multipul pieces had **** grain really bad quality rosewood on the neck and played like ****
you need to play a few to find a good cheap gibson
GEAR
Orange AD-30 Combo