skip the massive wall of text if you want

I've always just played how it felt easiest, and my teacher never told me to use more or less of the pick, but I was just practicing sweeping and noticed that even though I'm not picking each individual note, it looks as if I am because when the pick comes into contact with a string there's a bit of resistance between the two and so it bends back in my fingers a bit. So I tried doing it with just the very tip of the pick, like half a mm, and it still does get some resistance but the tone doesn't sound as buzzy. I'm playing a poorly set up Squier through a Peavey 258, with headphones plugged in that weren't designed for anything more than listening to tv or something (I use them anyway coz I can pick up more unwanted noise). So I've never worried too much about the tone, I've only been playing 9 months anyway. With just the tip of the pick, it gets rid a lot of the buzzy sound, it's not a nice tone but it's not all fizzy like what you see on beginner youtube videos. But it's also quieter, are you just meant to compensate for this by turning up the amp? Also it's harder to pick properly, so am I just meant to improve my accuracy and it'll be easier?

ok easy version: to get better tone and clarity is it best to try and use as little of the pick as possible? Only talking about single string stuff btw not chords
the best way to play the guitar is with your ****.

thats how the champions play
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
It really depends, but in the situation you described you probably don't want a lot of attack noise. Using just a little of the pick will get better tone and clarity.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I'm not sure about changes in tone because I've only noticed significant changes in my tone when I angle my pick or change how hard I'm physically hitting the string. In terms of how much should be hitting the string generally I'm going to say it's a personal preference thing but I've noticed the longer I've been playing and the more I focus on accuracy the less of the pick I use.

Hope that helped a bit
playing with your pick slanted at an angle ( 30 - 45 degrees up or down) reduces friction on the pick which alows you to play faster. for better accuracy try holding your pick about midway through instead of all the way back, lots of people hold the pick the same for strumming as well as picking which just messes up your accuracy.
Changing the level of your pick should be a matter of style while you are playing, not a permanent thing. Playing with less contact, as you noticed will give a thinner tone and less volume, which is a fine way to play gentler parts and leaves you to give emphasis where required by using a bit more if the pick. This lets you be more subtle than just relying on the vol knob.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Changing the level of your pick should be a matter of style while you are playing, not a permanent thing. Playing with less contact, as you noticed will give a thinner tone and less volume, which is a fine way to play gentler parts and leaves you to give emphasis where required by using a bit more if the pick. This lets you be more subtle than just relying on the vol knob.

So if I was playing hard rock, something like AC/DC, I'd use more of the pick? What about shredding? It's not really aggressive but it's not gentle either
When you are playing chords let a bit more pick stick out. When you're playing faster single note lines, bring it in a bit, and only use the tip. You can adjust your attack on either by tightening or loosening your grip.