Hey
so i started playing guitar on an electric guitar (A Dean ML) and after a year of playing i finally decided to get an acoustic guitar. I got a Takamine EG510SSC and i absolutely love it. anyway my electric guitar has only ever had 9 and 10 guage strings on them and im finding it really hard to push down the frets on my acoustic guitar. Is this cause the strings are a higher guage? (i dont know what guage they are, its just what came with it) or do i need to get the action lowered (cause it is higher then my electric). I have a set of 9's ready to change strings on my acoustic but i dont want to waste them if its not going to help.

tl;dr Is it the strings fault or actions fault that i find it difficult to push down the frets on my acoustic

Thanks, Dean
Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
Usually acoustics will have a heavier gauge and higher action. To lower the action though it would need a tech to do it unless you confident you can do it yourself.
i know that its gonna be harder then an electric. but would changing the strings to a lower guage make any significant difference? like so i can build up finger strength and slowly increase the guage. or do i need to get the action lowered before i make any progress cause i cant play to save my life at the moment.

also, if i do need to get the action lowered.. would my local guitar shop do it? or do i need a luthier
Originally Posted by CaptainJack666
i can see why he likes elevators, theyre a truly uplifting experience

Join The NSW FTW Group
PM Lrn2shrd69, Greekmagician or dougie_mate to join.
It's simply a case of you not being used to the feel of the acoustic yet. Traditionally, the majority of acoustics bought and discussed on these threads are dreadnaughts, and they come equipped with .012's for strings. These are quite a bit larger than the normal gauge string for electric which is .009. The action is also higher out of necessity to allow ample room for those larger strings to vibrate freely without buzzing. I recommend that you continue to play the Tak as it is now and get more familiar with how it plays. The two types of guitars are quite different creatures and now is not the time to start swapping out string gauges and messing up the set of the guitar.
As a side note, I learned first on an acoustic, so to me(back then anyway) electric strings were too flimsy and thin. I could barely feel them under my rock hard calloused fingertips after being used to acoustic for so long, and I was always pressing the strings down too hard forcing the notes to all play sharp. I'm pointing this out because it can go either way, and in your case, you learned on an electric first so it'll take time to build up the required finger and hand strength and callouses to be successful at acoustic guitaring.
Give it time and if after a couple of months you still feel the same way, we'll be more than happy to help you out with altering your Tak to suit your needs.
^^^Righto. Spend some time and get used to it before you start swapping gauges. You're just accustomed to (cough... little girly... cough...) electrics.
Maybe it's just the feeling that seems umcomfortable to you, I mean, acoustic guitar do have a total different action than the electric. So, you've got to try to get used to the different feel. If you're not, well, go to a tech, I wouldn't risk my guitar's life being me the one who changes the action.