So I am in the market for my first Valve Amplifier. I have been researching the past few weeks and tried out various brands. I initially had my heart set on a Peavey Valve King 100 Head for $1150 AUD (actually good price over here!)

I am thinking of getting a Bugera as well since they are great bang for your buck and seem to have most of the reliability issues sorted. Then today I was in a little out of the way music store near the city and I found a Marshall JCM-2000 TSL 60 Head for $1495 used and a Marshall JCM-2000 TSL 100 Head for $1800 used. I tried the 60 and it sounded great but kind of lacked that raw power Gain i'm after. Maybe a TS-9 would fix this? Also looking at a Genz Benz El Diablo 100W head for $1800 from memory?

My question is what do you think would be the best value? The Bugera would be a bit of a throw around amp really, the peavey is great from what i've heard and well the Marshall's will probably give me more in the long run I suppose being the best quality (so I would believe anyway correct me if i'm wrong).

I play a mix of heavy punk rock (A Wilhelm Scream, Rise Against), Metalcore and experimental Nu metal kind of stuff. Sounds i'm after would range between a7x, Underoath, Bullet For My Valentine, Escape The Fate etc.

looking to spend no more than about $2000 AUD on the head, and will be pairing with an Orange 4x12 cab with v30's

any input is appreciated as I am a total noob to valves

EDIT: I will be playing gigs with this amp small to medium sized venues, halls, theatres etc
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jul 10, 2009,