anybody here ever homebrew beer? if so I have some questions for you

I'd like to try my hand at making some good beer myself. This isnt necessarily about me being underage, although that does play a factor (mainly in making it harder for me to do)

my main purpose behind it is that all the beers I've tried have been, in my opinion, complete swill (budweiser, etc. all cheap pilsner lagers, hell its keystone most of the time... YUCK) and as Ive learned from tobacco -- quality can make a BIG difference in this kind of stuff's taste.

and no, Im not talking about the brew your own beer kits. Im talking real brewing from scratch

anyway, I'd like to do some brewing myself. I was just wondering how hard it is to procure ingredients (especially since Im underage) and where to get them, also generally how long does the initial brewing take? I know you have to wait like a week or two after its all done, but how long does it need to be out in the open on the oven/etc? I'm probably going to do it at a friends house whos parents are never home, so if its like 4-5 hours or less no problem, but if its gonna be an excessive amount of time, it may not be so simple.

also, Im assuming an oven, pots, ingredients, and bottles are all I'll need to make beer on my own, seeing as it is a fermented alcohol and not distilled. is there anything I may be overlooking for this venture?

thanks a lot for your advice guys.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Jul 10, 2009,
*sticky*
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
Quote by spiroth10

my main purpose behind it is that all the beers I've tried have been, in my opinion, complete swill (budweiser, etc. all cheap pilsner lagers, hell its keystone most of the time... YUCK) and as Ive learned from tobacco -- quality can make a BIG difference in this kind of stuff's taste.

Why don't you just buy better beer? I mean, Bud was never going to taste like anything else but utter arse.

My gf's stepdad brews his own sometimes and he leaves it for about a month. Not really something you can hide.
tooheys extra dry FTMFW
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
I make homemade wine but not beer. Want to try though someday. I too am interested in this.
ಥ_ಥ
Quote by GArrigan
tooheys extra dry FTMFW

Amen. ED Platinum for the ultimate in wastage.

@TS: Honestly dude, if your main goal is to make beer that's better than anything you can buy, even cheap stuff you can look forward to failing miserably. I've done quite a bit of brewing and it can be hard, specially starting out, to get something that is even drinkable let alone on par with James Squire or Lowenbrau. Even with the kits it can be challenging, actually brewing from scratch is waaaaaaaaay more effort than you think. My advice is find someone to buy you a homebrew kit with all the stuff, make a few kit ones and see how you go. You'll be PISSED if you go to all the trouble of organising the malt, roasting the hops and everything else only to end up with a big tank of camel's piss.
Last edited by Waylanderau at Jul 10, 2009,
Quote by CoreysMonster
just get one of the following beers:

How... how could you?
Quote by Waylanderau
Amen. ED Platinum for the ultimate is wastage.

@TS: Honestly dude, if your main goal is to make beer that's better than anything you can buy, even cheap stuff you can look forward to failing miserably. I've done quite a bit of brewing and it can be hard, specially starting out to get something that is even drinkable let alone on par with James Squire or Lowenbrau. Even with the kits it can be challenging, actually brewing from scratch is waaaaaaaaay more effort than you think. My adivce is find someone to buy you a homebrew kit with all the stuff, make a few kit ones and see how you go. You'll be PISSED if you go to all the trouble of organing the malt, roasting the hops and everything else only to end up with a big tank of camel's piss.

Or worse, Budweiser
ಥ_ಥ
drink cider instead mate :p (nice cider by the way.. not the kind you buy in a massive 3 litre bottle, go to the park and and enjoy a nice 4 hours on a park bench with your "crew" flicking bits of gravel at pigeons)
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
Quote by Baby Strange
If you drink crap beer it'll taste like crap. Real ale is the way forward.

I've had one ale once, it was an unfiltered brew from a local microbrewery and it was wonderful. very rich, multi-layered flavor. Sure you could still taste that it was beer, but it was rich, heady, fruity... even a bit aromatic I'd say. lol Im describing it like I would pipe tobacco haha, idk if Im using beer lingo or not lol.

see, if I ask anyone to buy for me now though, they're just going to buy me the cheapest crap available and take the rest of the money I give them. I dont really have a reliable source who'll buy me whatever I ask for -- Im lucky to get alcoholic goats piss if I ask for a beer lol.

being underage sucks.

still though, difficulties aside I would appreciate learning how to brew it anyway. I mean, along with growing my own tobacco and processing it into pipe tobacco, brewing beer seems like something I'd really enjoy doing as a lifelong hobby.

so any information you guys have would be wonderful. Most of what I see online through google pertains to the kits you can buy instead of actual brewing.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Jul 10, 2009,
I know how the Zulu tribes make beer, if you're really desperate.
"I want the theatre without the drama. I want the opera without the soap."

Is this the part where I say I'm a girl?
Quote by spiral_static
I know how the Zulu tribes make beer, if you're really desperate.

if I was really desperate Id be drinking keystone lol. but I think even whatever the zulu tribe makes is better than that ****.

seriously, I think the process of making keystone is having employees drink bud light all day and then piss into cans and seal them. seriously -- that **** is bad. it also happens to be the underage drink of choice it seems -- due to price -- when will kids my age learn -- quality over quantity?
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Jupiler beer is totally awesome.
I'm going to drink a lot if it tonight. And tomorrow. And the day after tomorrow.
Hell yeah, I love vacation!
i am gonna be brewing some this week it's pretty easy takes about 3-4weeks,
Just get them beer kits. and it's nice cause you can get it pretty strong allso 10%+
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Last edited by Nexium at Jul 10, 2009,
Quote by GArrigan
tooheys extra dry FTMFW

Gah, you Aussies have no taste in beer. It's one of the better well known ones from Oz, but still...eww.

TS, making a quality beer at home is difficult and would require top notch equipment and ingredients. Anything else will taste even worse than bud. Just go out and buy some good stuff, it's better than anything you'll ever make at home.
Quote by Nexium
i am gonna be brewing some this week it's pretty easy takes about 3-4weeks,
Just get them beer kits.

Exactly. In any beer-loving nation, there are many brewing stores with beer brewing kits for beginners, with directions. If not that, you can just buy a book on how to brew beer and follow the recipe. Often times, it is the simplest way. Once you get more experienced, you can experiment yourself with proportions of grain and malt and yeast.

I highly suggest a beginners brewing kit to get started with. It will include a big pot, carbouy, and siphon tube that you would have to get separately if you didn't buy a kit.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I've always been tempted to brew beer in the spare bathtub of our flat. Unfortunately, we've given the bathroom to the new chick who's moving in. My plans have been foiled... by myself >

From my experience though, homebrew doesn't taste so good unless you add something like raspberries to take away the incredibly.. uh... what's the word for it... **** taste.

But what's wrong with Budweiser? Although I'm guessing you mean the 3% U.S version and not the 5% UK version. Or has my American friends been telling me fiddly pies about the watered down strengths of beer over there?
Matter is void. All is vanity. All is nothing. Nothing exists.

But damn does whisky rule
Quote by Talonwolf
I've always been tempted to brew beer in the spare bathtub of our flat. Unfortunately, we've given the bathroom to the new chick who's moving in. My plans have been foiled... by myself >

From my experience though, homebrew doesn't taste so good unless you add something like raspberries to take away the incredibly.. uh... what's the word for it... **** taste.

But what's wrong with Budweiser? Although I'm guessing you mean the 3% U.S version and not the 5% UK version. Or has my American friends been telling me fiddly pies about the watered down strengths of beer over there?

Bud just doesn't taste nice.

The homebrew kits produce passable beer, not great though. You do get to decide the alcoholic content so it tends to go a bit further than regular beer.
Also, as mentioned you do get all of the bits you need in one package which is handy.

Elderflower wine/champagne is nice but goes off pretty quick.