hey i just got home and i borrowed a Fender FM 65 DSP amp off a friend and it just died!

the light comes on, it makes a faint buzz and the RCA input works barely but apart from that it is completely toast

wats happened?
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
could be a whole number of things. youll need to give more details. or you can tak it to a guitar tech
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
well...

led works

RCA input works

Guitar input works

Effects dont work

Makes a buzz, tried different guitars, different power sources, different leads

seems to be a problem with the amp itself
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
4. Get killed onstage

Quote by Holy Katana

Not much your gonna be able to with it Im afraid. With it being partially digital most shops wont be able to do anything with it. And most of the time diagnostics and repair of a SS will be close to or more than the cost of a new amp. As its not your amp your friend may not be to understanding of his amp just quitting.
yeah its really wierd...could it be the DSP? i heard you can replace those fairly cheap
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
4. Get killed onstage

Quote by Holy Katana

Could be? But theres no way to be sure with out the proper test equipment. Tools that very few of us have nor do most shops. You could start throwing parts at it might fix it, might not. Its the down side to SS amps the way they are made they arent really made to be fixed. When they design em ease of repair is not even considered only how cheap the per unit cost is gonna be. Not sure where you "heard" the DSP unit is cheap. And how easy it would be to replace would depend if it was a plug in unit(easy) or hard mounted to the main board(not easy).
I've never heard anyone talk about removing the DSP and swapping it out easily. Search on the fender.com forums for an answer. If it can be done, I'm sure it has been discussed over there. I would think that capability would add significant cost to the amp. I think Tackleberry is right. There is just not much you can do if you've diagnosed it to the computer chips that genereate the effects (which is what I think you are saying). I'll sell you my 212 100w at a UGr bargin if you want. I don't use it anymore. PM me.
hey new development

I was jiggling the input lead a bit and now theres fully functioning STATIC and CRACKLING

i can EQ the static, change the levels and also add effects to the static

so i think it can be narrowed down to the input and that somehow it doesnt recognize the guitar(s)
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
4. Get killed onstage

Quote by Holy Katana

Those a 'fairly' easy to replace/resolder. I've never done it with my amp but you should be able to find some tutorials on how to replace an insert jack on youtube. There are some pics in the first post of the Guitar Set Up QnA Sticky in EG if you want to get an idea of what I'm talking about. It's for a guitar obviously, but the ideal is the same. Good luck.