Firebirdz
1,228 IQ
I really like punk music from the 70's and 80's(PiL,Sex Pistols,Clash sorta stuff) and i wanna listen to some more 'recent' punk stuff.
Anyway, what Bad Religion would you guys consider best to begin listening to them?
lavazza
K**e sold out
7,304 IQ
Start at the beginning, the early albums, 80-85, and when you like it go on (apart from Into the Unknown, that´s something strange, boring, indie.....)

Of and please use the recommendtion thread or the top page Bad Religion thread

so

please close
Last edited by lavazza at Jul 10, 2009,
hardrock1315
Thought @ Work
3,512 IQ
Start with 80-85 or How Could Hell Be Any Worse. Then, if you want more modern-sounding, and increasingly poppier music, go through their albums chronologically. Suffer, No Control, and Against the Grain are good albums for faster, melodic but not quite as poppy songs that are in between the two extremes of Bad Religion's sound. Generator and Recipe For Hate are good, but have slower songs and less of a punk sound. Stranger Than Fiction is okay. For the most part, The Gray Race, No Substance, and The New America are pretty bad. Their most recent albums (The Process of Belief, The Empire Strikes First, and New Maps of Hell) have a newer, poppier style. In my opinion, the new records are BR's best work. Everyone else probably disagrees though.

I don't really consider Into the Unknown a Bad Religion album. It's a wierd, spacey pscychedelic rock album that sounds like nothing BR did before or after it.
Last edited by hardrock1315 at Jul 12, 2009,
axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
Scientists have proven (one assumes) that all Bad Religion albums that weren't on Atlantic were and still are good.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
captain_jack
call me Caleb
429 IQ
Quote by axeslash
Scientists have proven (one assumes) that all Bad Religion albums that weren't on Atlantic were and still are good.

Recipe for Hate is good too

TS, Suffer and No Control are my favorite BR albums. I think they'd be a good place to start because they're pretty much in between the earlier, rougher, almost hardcore punk sound and the newer, more "produced" and melodic sound. As far as albums to avoid, I pretty much agree with hardrock. I have BR's entire discography and the albums I don't ever listen to are the ones he listed as being bad.
Lots O' FX
Ug's BallsOutDeathmeister
320 IQ
Personally i started with Suffer, Stranger than Fiction, and Empire Strikes First. Then get How Could Hell be Any Worse?, Process of Belief and Against the Grain. Then just get everything else in any order, stay away from any of their albums between Stranger than Fiction and Process of Belief (except for the Gray Race which is decent.)
Mr_Jubby_Jubs
Lil' brudder
186 IQ
I'd recommend suffer, Recipe for hate and empire strikes first.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
mitchrushton182
271 IQ
I started with suffer and i liked it so much that I bought against the grain the next day which is also awesome so either one of those would be a good start.
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V
599 IQ
Get All Ages. It's a compilation of pre-Stranger Than Fiction songs. Then get The Empire Strikes First. You're spending what, $15? $20? And you'll get a great taste of their whole career, except the mid-90's. But you won't be missing a whole lot there.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
chin386
Banned
10 IQ
Start with 80-85 or How Could Hell Be Any Worse. Then, if you want more modern-sounding, and increasingly poppier music, go through their albums chronologically. Suffer, No Control, and Against the Grain are good albums for faster, melodic but not quite as poppy songs that are in between the two extremes of Bad Religion's sound. Generator and Recipe For Hate are good, but have slower songs and less of a punk sound.

Web Hosting
Laptop Akkus
David_Bowie=GOD
2,524 IQ
This doesn't help, but I noticed last night at warped tour that Greg Graffin looks just like my doctor. Was a good show.

Oh and Empire Strikes First
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
DempseyPunk
go fly some kites
1,175 IQ
80-85
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Sakarias
21st Century digital boy
10 IQ
Hey man, it's great that you've decided to give Bad Religion a try.

Musically, it's actually quite different from the stuff you usually listen to, like Sex Pistols and The Clash, you'll notice as you listen.

Anyway, you should start out with Empire Strikes First (My favourite one) and Stranger Than Fiction. Two records with a varied and balanced sound that give you an all-around idea of what Bad Religion is all about.
You get the really intense D-beat songs, the more heavy, simple stuff, the wonderful 3 part harmonies and of course the brilliant lyrics.
Records like Suffer and No Control are great, but they pretty much only represent Bad Religion the way they sounded back then (mid/late 80's), and you wanted some "recent punk stuff".

So Empire Strikes First and Stranger Than Fiction are your best shots, man. Enjoy.