Right, I've just quit my heavy metal band a few days ago after realising it wasn't really the kind of music I want to be playing.

Just chilling around at home today, put on a Jethro Tull record (Songs From The Wood). How freakin' creative those guys are always hits me like a brick when I haven't listened to them in a while. They also have a really cool sound. Anyway, inevitably it got me thinking about what I want to play. I started thinking about stuff I liked from different bands, and some cool **** started forming in my head.

Real epic stuff, those jangly Tull-esque folk guitars, orchestration done on the keyboard (think nightwish, rhapsody, etc), pounding 80's sounding drums (sisters of mercy, that kinda ****), and more 80's stuff with the vocals (thinking more along the lines of bon jovi).

obviously finding the right musicians will take a while, but now I have more of a idea of where I want to be going.

do you guys think that with enough song writing practice and stuff it'll sound good, or is it just a mash up of too many different sounds?
sounds like it could be done. it all depends on who you end up working with. I'm sure it'll have some tweeking to do once you get it all together obvious.
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
Music doesn't come straight from your influences, it comes from your heart where your influences lie. I'm big on jazz but I'm also big on death metal, I can promise you that I will never write a Cannibal Corpse-esque song that suddenly breaks into an upbeat 40's swing.

What I'm trying to say is, don't try to force all your influences into a song, it will come naturally.
Quote by pwrmac
a Cannibal Corpse-esque song that suddenly breaks into an upbeat 40's swing.

I would so listen to that.
Quote by Geldin
Quote by pwrmac
a Cannibal Corpse-esque song that suddenly breaks into an upbeat 40's swing.
I would so listen to that.
So would I
Quote by Nietsche
So would I

+1

In the end youcan have al these ideas and you'll be able to hear that in what you play, but you are going to have other band members, with varying tastes in the music they listen to. Then whenever somebody takes on their influences they will add something of themselves to the sound. So you are going to have, for example, 4 members each with their own style of playing which has been influence by various artists.

What I'm trying to say is, go with the idea, but it's not going to turn out exactly how you imagine it. Just get together some like minded musicians and see what happens. Don't force your sound.
That sounds awesome. Do it, maybe try writing a few songs on Guitar Pro or something to see how it sounds.

Although it might be more realistic to find a band who want to do various strange mixes of styles with that being one of them, rather than a band who would play just that style and be content with it. Either that, or doing it as more of a solo project than a band.

I love imagining strange mixes of genres like that. I'd love to hear some kind of Robert Johnson-style blues cross gothic metal.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jul 10, 2009,
Haha, now I'm tempted to do it for fun. It'll have to be an instrumental since I fail at death growls, but yeah, I'll do it. Should have it ready within a day or 2. I'll post a link here when done.
I think it's a really cool idea.
Make sure you post some info/samples when you're done.
From my personal experience, a bands sound comes from the combination of styles of the band members. Not a grandiose vision of one member.
Why do we even have a bandleading forum? Honestly, you get to it through the MT forum. How do people who not notice it manage to breathe without being reminded?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by pwrmax
Haha, now I'm tempted to do it for fun. It'll have to be an instrumental since I fail at death growls, but yeah, I'll do it. Should have it ready within a day or 2. I'll post a link here when done.

Thank you! I look forward to it. Instrumentals are fine. My band's got the right people to play this - our bassist plays brass and woodwinds too, I play stringed instruments, and our rhythm guitarist is a classically trained pianist. I'll see if they're interested in trying something similar out.
I never thought I'd do it but I did it and it's on my profile I actually hate it and I think it sounds terrible but peer pressure got me to upload it. Guitar Pro's RSE fails at 7-string guitars and kick drums, which is why the drums are just MIDI. Doesn't sound very Death Metalish but I think my concept went through.
Quote by pwrmax
I never thought I'd do it but I did it and it's on my profile I actually hate it and I think it sounds terrible but peer pressure got me to upload it. Guitar Pro's RSE fails at 7-string guitars and kick drums, which is why the drums are just MIDI. Doesn't sound very Death Metalish but I think my concept went through.

dude not even gonna lie, that sounded freakin epic hahahaha xD
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
do you guys think that with enough song writing practice and stuff it'll sound good, or is it just a mash up of too many different sounds?
I would say it's not enough sounds.

I think it could definately sound good. But you're limiting yourself if you want to use only those elements. It's good that you're thinking about things you personally like in music and want to combine, but I'm sure you like a lot more.

By all means go ahead and write some songs like that, but when you're writing a song and you think of an intricate drum beat, don't dismiss it just because you think it should be 'pounding'.

This may be completely obvious to you, but it's something I have to think about
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Just write the stuff you want to write rather then limiting yourself to your ideas.
But if what you describe will be the outcome, I'm curious for the result.