Hi guys
Sorry if this sounds silly or is really simple, but i'm not too confident in my own knowledge of the guitar, anyway here goes!

I recently bought a Jackson JS30DK, it's the one with the bolt on neck and floyd rose (as you may have guessed haha). I decided the other day i would give it a 'proper' tune again instead of fiddling with the fine tune pegs as per as i'd been going a bit ott with the wammy with it being new n all. Anyway, unbeknownst to me the high E string had snapped above the locking neck, so it was fine when i was fine tuning, but when i undone the neck obviously the string just came off and as such i'm going to need new strings. I figure that since it's my best guitar i'm going to splash out on some quite nice strings and then have it restrung - which leads me to my main question:

Does it matter if the gauge of the new strings is different to the ones on there now? (if so why, just out of interest) and if it does what would be the 'deafult' gauge on there straight from the shop so i know what gauge to look for in the new ones?

thanks in advance
J-Hetfield3
As long as its not a radically different gauge, you should be fine. Off the shelf guitars are probably fitted with 10s or something.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Putting a much higher/lower gauge strings on will change the tension of the neck making it bow away or toward the strings slightly. A quick tighten or loosen of the truss rod can fix this. There shouldn't be too much of a difference between putting 9's or 10's on a guitar. I think as above says most guitars come equipped with 10's
nope it doesn't matter what gauge string you put on as long as the bridge is still in it's proper place and also the neck is still straight
You might need to adjust the tension springs in the back to compensate for the different tension of the new strings. Ideal is to have the bridge plate level with the body when at rest. Get that right when its about in tune and set the bridge height, re-tuning with each change. FR's take a while to set nicely at first but getting used to the routine is far better than paying a shop/tech to do it every time.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Stock for guitars with Floyd's is .09's so that's what you should get if you were happy with the previous setup. Just make sure you change strings one at a time. Replace the missing high E first and bring it up to pitch, everything else should fall back into place, from there replace from the low E upwards, bringing each string up to pitch and checking your tuning before replacing the next string.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 10, 2009,
^ By replace one at a time, do you mean cut one, restring it, cut another, restring that etc?
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Exactly, replace them one at a time so that there's only ever one string off at a time, and you only ever remove a string when the guitar is approximately in tune.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
thanks for the replies guys, yea i heard about the replace one at time thing - i totally would have just cut them all off at once had i not heard tho! haha

time to order some strings me thinks!

cheers again
j-hetfield3
it doesnt really matter if you take them all off. thats what i do and its not that much more work. and then you can clean the fretboard and under the strings WAAAYYYYY easier. and i usually leave strings on for at least 2-3 months so it really needs a cleaning when i change them. just make sure you secure you bridge in place by putting something under the fine tuner section of the bridge. and then take the strings off, clean na d polish guitar (optional), and then restring.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B