Hello, i have a friend that's selling a 1975 Gibson SG all original good condition and he want 1200 us dollar for it. I'm thinking about buying it but i wont be able to try it out, he lives too far away.

I play mostly metallica, megadeath, iron maiden, guns n roses, ac/dc and rage against the machine. I have a epiphone les paul right now, i like the sound of it but the neck is **** .. alot of fret buzz etc etc. I have a jcm800 and vox ad30 amp.

Should i buy the guitar ? will i loose the warm & fat tone i get from the LP ?
SGs have a more trebley tone than Les Pauls.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
I play basically the same music as you, and the LP is the best in my experience.
Buy a gibson LP and you'll ejaculate constantly for the rest of your life
Quote by lessy_p
I play basically the same music as you, and the LP is the best in my experience.
Buy a gibson LP and you'll ejaculate constantly for the rest of your life

A gibson LP is alot more expensive i also find it harder to play the higher frets on a LP compare to other guitars ive played.

Is there a big sound diffrence between the LP and SG ?
You could buy a used LP for 1200 tho

I think there is a big defference but it all depends on your setup really
Yes. You might like it though, they're a bit brighter and more defined.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
LP's are great and really versatile, the only thing it really can't copy is a strat with SSS formation.

I love SG's almost as much, especially when it comes to the huge weight difference.

If you can, visit your local guitar shop and try out the SG he has. Should give you an idea of what you're going to sound like.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
If you're willing to use eBay, I see used Les Paul Standards go for $800 there occasionally. Kep an eye on it, you can find some great deals.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
If you're willing to use eBay, I see used Les Paul Standards go for $800 there occasionally. Kep an eye on it, you can find some great deals.

I live in sweden and guitar gear in general is ALOT more expensive here
I'd say go for the SG, but still try to go to a local guitar shop and play a new one to get an idea. As stated earlier, the SG is brighter than the Les Paul and much lighter, and high fret access is a breeze. I love the SG's personally and I've owned LP's as well, which are undeniably nice, but for a lot of rock, any metal, and for comfortability and convenience, the SG ranks a tittle higher for me personally.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

If it's an SG standard, then it's a fantastic deal, as long as it's in good shape.

Les Pauls are a lot fuller and boomy than SGs, but I like the way an SG plays better. It's going to sound a lot better than your epi, unless my some miraculous coincidence you got great epi that sounds better than a 33 year old SG...
If I wasn't me, who else would I be?

Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded (02)
G&L Legacy Special
Peavey Special 212
Martin DXR1
I'd ask him how what the frets are like on it and how recently he got them dressed. With that old of a guitar I'd imagine they would be in rough condition.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
GO FOR IT EVN IF IT IS A BAD GUITAR in a few years people are going to pay up to 3000smackers for that think of it as a life insurance that matures.
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
I'd get it.I (love) my SG's.
when you say you hate the neck of your Les Paul,do you mean you hate the shape/feel?
Or is it just a bad quality neck.If you don't like the feel of the neck (ignore this if it's a really cheap bolt on) then chances are the SG's neck won't fair alot better.If someone offered me a nice old SG for $1200 aud I'd be all over it immeadeatly.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Pretty. Odd.

Personally, I don't think I have ever seen a LP Standard for 8. Plenty of LP Studios, I don't think I've ever seen one for less than a grand. MAYBE you could find one from the early 90's/80's for around that price. Just after the vintage era and just before "newer" ones....
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

An SG is DARKER toned (not brighter, as the general consensus on here appears to be; the SG has no maple top on it) but it's also got a tighter bass response thanks to its lighter weight. Consequently it's a great rock guitar.
The problem here is that Gibson pickups had increased in output by 1975, but moderate output pickups simply don't sound any good in an SG because, I think, of the way they're positioned relative to the strings and the wide expanse of mahogany. If you're getting it, I'd change the pickups (although keep the stock pickups, because they're probably not too bad).
Also, I've heard varying opinions on Gibson's 70s output; try first.
Rock Pig is right. as a general rule; lighter = bassier. heavy = brighter.

lots of exceptions (woods used, bridges, pickups, amp settings) but thats how i've always thought about guitars. the LP is articulate because it's brighter, the SG is powerful because it has punch to it.
Simple. $1200 for a '75 SG (all original? case?) will definitely earn itself back when this lil' crisis is over. As an investment, go for it ^^
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by greendayispunk
GO FOR IT EVN IF IT IS A BAD GUITAR in a few years people are going to pay up to 3000smackers for that think of it as a life insurance that matures.

i disapprove of that- if you don't like it, why not leave it for someone else who might actually play it? guitars were built to be played, and collectors are the reason that us real guitarists are denied access to the best guitars in the world. I think the fact that collectors generally ignore norlin era gibsons is a godsend to guitarists.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.