Hi all,

Me and my guitarist are useless at getting a decent tone so I'm trying to get some advice on getting a good mix between us both.

I use either a Yamaha RGX or Squire Strat with an Marshall AVT250 and do the majority of the guitar work.

Other guitarist sings mostly and uses a Fender Tele Custom with a Fender Hot Rod Deville amp and delay/chorus foot pedals.

The music we play is fairly indie-ish The Cribs, The Rakes, Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon, etc style.

Can anyone give us some advice on amp settings or even pedal recommendations?
Quote by tom_bola16
Hi all,

Me and my guitarist are useless at getting a decent tone so I'm trying to get some advice on getting a good mix between us both.

I use either a Yamaha RGX or Squire Strat with an Marshall AVT250 and do the majority of the guitar work.

this is why. we can't give you setting reccomendations, because we don't own your amp, or know where you are playing, your settings should change depending on your surroundings.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Last edited by SOADriff at Jul 10, 2009,
You have some good gear there. If the other guy can't get a good tone with his rig there's something wrong with him.

Simple solution:
He needs to play the trebly indie lead sections.

You need to not even try to be as trebly as him, or you'll end up fighting for high end and bursting each other's eardrums. And you'll lose out 'cause he's got that little bright switch. It's like turning your treble up to 11.

Think of yourself as somewhere between the bass and the other guitarist and you should have a decent full sound with clarity.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
All I can say is don't try to be identical. I tend to use more highs and less lows than the other guitarist, so I'm more middy whereas he is more scooped. We compliment each other nicely.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
All I can say is don't try to be identical. I tend to use more highs and less lows than the other guitarist, so I'm more middy whereas he is more scooped. We compliment each other nicely.

+1

It took me 5 years of playing terrible backyard punkrock shows to figure that one out LOL we even got filmed on TV at a festival once but we could never figure out why they cut our clip.....

As was said your guitars should compliment each other and but you'll need to use different sounds to achieve that
Mark and Ax are right. Don't try to sound the same, and don't compete for volume or highs/lows/mids/whatever. Once you add another guitar player, it means it's not just about you anymore. Competing for tone could destroy your band's live sound completely. Don't EQ your amp the same way you do when you're by yourself. An EQ curve that sounds like garbage when you play alone could be the key to getting great live sound and great dynamics with your other guitar player.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Cheers most of you for the feedback.

Think of yourself as somewhere between the bass and the other guitarist and you should have a decent full sound with clarity.

Yeah, I always thought it was something along these lines, but I suppose lazyness has meant we probably haven't really stuck to it in practice.

What about when we switch over i.e. I do lead and he switches to rhythm mid-song? Is that when it's an idea to use pedal boosts?