I am teaching guitar lessons and my amp weighs like 80 pounds and I'd prefer to not have to bring it with me all the time. Also, I'd be using this as a practice amp so I don't have to use my tube amp all the time. I was thinking about getting this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FM25DSP/reviews/#anchor

Any comments? Something better? I don't want a piece of **** but I also don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars either. It seems decent and free shipping and 2 year warranty.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
Last edited by metalzeppelin at Jul 10, 2009,
I bought the 100 watt version of the amp you are looking at to replace a Vox AD30VT (wanted something louder for cheap). The sound was alright, nothing outstanding. I've heard some good reviews for the amp though. To be honest it just didn't have much life in its sound (probably because its a pure solid state amp). I ended up taking it back in and trading it for the 50 watt version of my old amp.
Here are some options:
Depending on how loud you need to get and how much you want to spend, Vox offers some very high quality modeling amplifiers (the VT series, which has some built in effects and 22 amplifier models covering anything from completely undistorted to vintage to modern hard rock/metal). All of these are hybrid amps, which means they have a power tube in their preamp (gives their sound much better tone and life). The VT30 ($269 at musiciansfriend.com) is almost loud enough to cover a drummer at maximum volume and power level (just barely). It's fairly expensive for your price range however. If you don't need a loud amp, there is a 15 watt version for $200.

I also own a Line 6 Spider III 15. It doesn't have quite the variety of tone the Vox has (four amp models), but (1) its loud for the power output and (2) its a hybrid amp as well. It's more concentrated in the metal section (the insane setting is, well, insane), but it does have a variable gain control and a few effects to pick from. The 15 watt is priced at $99.00 and the 30 watt goes for about $179.00 (both from musiciansfriend.com)

Anyway, just my input. The fender amp will give you fair sound for the money, but I highly recommend going to guitar center or sam ash and experimenting with amps. That's how I ended up with the Vox and I won't be changing amps for a long time.
Equipment:

Dean VX
Dean Avalanche 7
Squire SE Stratocaster
Vox AD50VT
Boss OD-20
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Quote by wilseyp
I bought the 100 watt version of the amp you are looking at to replace a Vox AD30VT (wanted something louder for cheap). The sound was alright, nothing outstanding. I've heard some good reviews for the amp though. To be honest it just didn't have much life in its sound (probably because its a pure solid state amp). I ended up taking it back in and trading it for the 50 watt version of my old amp.
Here are some options:
Depending on how loud you need to get and how much you want to spend, Vox offers some very high quality modeling amplifiers (the VT series, which has some built in effects and 22 amplifier models covering anything from completely undistorted to vintage to modern hard rock/metal). All of these are hybrid amps, which means they have a power tube in their preamp (gives their sound much better tone and life). The VT30 ($269 at musiciansfriend.com) is almost loud enough to cover a drummer at maximum volume and power level (just barely). It's fairly expensive for your price range however. If you don't need a loud amp, there is a 15 watt version for $200.

I also own a Line 6 Spider III 15. It doesn't have quite the variety of tone the Vox has (four amp models), but (1) its loud for the power output and (2) its a hybrid amp as well. It's more concentrated in the metal section (the insane setting is, well, insane), but it does have a variable gain control and a few effects to pick from. The 15 watt is priced at $99.00 and the 30 watt goes for about $179.00 (both from musiciansfriend.com)

Anyway, just my input. The fender amp will give you fair sound for the money, but I highly recommend going to guitar center or sam ash and experimenting with amps. That's how I ended up with the Vox and I won't be changing amps for a long time.

No.... You lost all your credabality right there.

TS, The Vox Valvetronix is pretty nice for the money. The Fender Vibro Champ XD is also a very nice amp (Try and find a Super Champ XD as its 10" sounds a little nicer then the 8" on the vibro although you would have to get it used because they discontinued it)
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
I have a 60W tube amp that is my main amp. I'm just getting this to have something to make noise when I teach basically.
Earth without ART, is just Eh...
Quote by metalzeppelin
I have a 60W tube amp that is my main amp. I'm just getting this to have something to make noise when I teach basically.

Then really just go to your local shop and try all the little combo's and find one that sounds decent.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo