I saw this on Dream Theater's new DVD on the extras when Portnoy is showing you his stuff on stage. He has a little single drumpad on the side of his set and he uses it to count the band off during live performances and it only comes through their monitors/in-ears. I think that's a pretty sweet idea and want to do it myself if its not expensive. I'm kinda OCD when it comes to tempos live. I know live songs are usually faster but sometimes if you go too fast it doesn't sound right. Is there something I could hook up and put at my feet when I'm playing guitar in my band to do that? I know it'd have to be something I could set by my pedals and then I could run it back to our mixer and then put the fader on nothing and then have the aux up so it comes out of our monitors only. Is the only thing I could do a drum pad/trigger kind of thing?
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
I think it's a little much much no? Tapping your foot isn't good enough?

she has the right idea. Whoever starts the song needs to learn the tempo. tempo changes during the song live are inevitable and are what make sit exciting. But if your drummer or bassist cant start at a decent tempo ten they dont know the song well enough.
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Take up jazz, seriously. Learning jazz is the best thing that ever happened to my playing and it helps me keep a consistent tempo.
Ok maybe I should reword that. I don't mean keep tempo the entire song. I just mean to count the song off. I'm just really OCD and sometimes. Maybe I just need to get over my OCD haha
Quote by anthsband
Ok maybe I should reword that. I don't mean keep tempo the entire song. I just mean to count the song off. I'm just really OCD and sometimes. Maybe I just need to get over my OCD haha

A metronome with headphones?

I've been in a few bands where the drummer did that.
shred is gaudy music
Stop saying OCD.
You don't have OCD.
I hate that almost as much as people saying "random".

Anyway, on topic, I imagine you could do it fairly easily.
I'd say if you have a solid drummer, just let him count it.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Have your drummer count off with the hi-hat. Really, something this elaborate is just unnecessary.
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Stop saying OCD.
You don't have OCD.
I hate that almost as much as people saying "random".

Anyway, on topic, I imagine you could do it fairly easily.
I'd say if you have a solid drummer, just let him count it.

almost EVERYONE has OCD in some way shape or form.
Most people just dont have it an extreme noticeable way like cleaning the doorknob of every door they open blah blah blah, but lots of people have a weird obsessive thing they do in some situations. I myself used to have heaps but grew out of most of them.
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

Quote by druz15_UG

I don't believe that at all.
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
Maybe you could use a click track like some drummers do. I think the drummer counting off the intro with the high hat is the best idea so far though.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Quote by druz15_UG

Most people just dont have it an extreme noticeable way like cleaning the doorknob of every door they open blah blah blah, but lots of people have a weird obsessive thing they do in some situations. I myself used to have heaps but grew out of most of them.

No. Obssessive Compulsive disorder has specific diagnostic criteria. You are not "OCD" just because some things irritate you or because you like to have a things a certain way.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Get your drummer to give you 4 stick clicks at the right tempo before you start. Simple, cheap and it works, theres really no need for anything more elaborate then that tbh.

HTH, Aidan.
if it is really a serious problem and you don't want the audience to hear then just stick a mic somewhere that goes monitors only - then tap it. simple...

Nothing wrong with stick clicks though

Quote by druz15_UG

ok while that may be true to an extent since psychological disorders are all a spectrum, saying that is about as pointless as saying a triangle is a special case of a square with one side being 0cm long
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by doive

ok while that may be true to an extent since psychological disorders are all a spectrum, saying that is about as pointless as saying a triangle is a special case of a square with one side being 0cm long

but it's not, as the criteria for a square is that its four sides must be of equal length, you're thinking of a rectangle
/technicality

either way that guy had no right to abuse TS for saying he has OCD, maybe he does?
'08 Gretsch White Falcon

A bunch of funky pedals

Quote by druz15_UG
but it's not, as the criteria for a square is that its four sides must be of equal length, you're thinking of a rectangle
/technicality

either way that guy had no right to abuse TS for saying he has OCD, maybe he does?

You seriously classify that as "abuse"?
Quote by SteveHouse

Quote by tayroar

Quote by crazy8rgood

Quote by 36mikeyb36
to keep beat live, you have to be able to keep the beat on your own,

4 lousy beats in isnt gonna keep him from slowing down

practice with a metronome