I've been looking for a Solid State amp to keep at home, preferably a pretty large size. I came across the Valvetronix VT100 2x12 and was wondering if UG knows much about it. I don't have any experience with Vox. Any help would be great.
Kramer EVH 5150
'85 Kramer Baretta Reissue
Randall KH120RHS Hammet Stack
BOSS OD-20
BOSS GT-10
George Lynch Dragon Wah
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah
The valvetronix is pretty decent, but only as a starter amp. I'm sure there are better SS amps. out there.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Brilliant amp. nowhere near as heavy as other 100 watters and amazingly versatile. DO IT!
What's your budget and what do you play? A lot of hard rock or metal I take it from the looks of your other gear.
I don't really have a budget. I'd prefer to spend less than 1000. I don't want a stack, and I'd like it to be Solid State. I play everything from acoustics to black metal.
Kramer EVH 5150
BOSS OD-20
BOSS GT-10
George Lynch Dragon Wah
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah
Why solid state?
Nothing wrong with em.. just usually people upgrade to tube.
My mate has a Vox 100w stack... says it's good but can get muddy tones with too much distortion. But i think they're pretty versatile from what I've heard.
The only problem I've heard about the vox is that modeling amps dont accept pedals too good, but if you're happy with the sounds on it you're good to go. Any particular reason it has to be solid state? For that price you could get a small wattage tube amp like a blackstar ht-5 or something.
I want a big amp to leave at home without spending too much money. That's the main reason I want a solid state.
Kramer EVH 5150
BOSS OD-20
BOSS GT-10
George Lynch Dragon Wah
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah
Will you be playing very loud at home? There are cheap low wattage tube amps that you can crank up at your house without making your ears bleed.
Why do you want a big amp if you are just leaving it at home?
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
I agree, a 100w amp, even solid state, seems a waste in a home where 30w is more than enough.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by reincarnator
Why do you want a big amp if you are just leaving it at home?

My thoughts exactly
Flextone. It's not 100watts and it's not $1000, but 1 of the better SS amps in my opinion.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
my buddy has the 30W version of that
he said he likes it but he doesn't use distortion pedals on it cause he said it makes the tone all muddy(he has a EHX metal muff and borrowed my SD lava box to try too)
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Last edited by Shayne777 at Jul 10, 2009,
i have the 15w version and I love it for a practice amp, and im not in a gigging band so its fine for me right now. I used it at a school orchestra concert thing (im also a cellist, but there was a guitar part in the song that we were playing) and it easily filled up a medium sized auditorium. In fact some people thought that it was too loud lol, and there was a drummer in that song too.. i really dont think you would need a 100w for home practice tbh
Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD M-1000 Deluxe w/ FR
Hamer XT-series SATQ
Fender Stratocaster
'75 Fender F-35 Acoustic
Amp
Vox VT15
Pedals
535Q Crybaby Wah
Quote by KramerUSA
I've been looking for a Solid State amp to keep at home, preferably a pretty large size. I came across the Valvetronix VT100 2x12 and was wondering if UG knows much about it. I don't have any experience with Vox. Any help would be great.

I think the new valvetronix series sound great. I'm actually probably gonna go pick up the 15 watter today at GC. Unless I find something cooler on craigslist

I don't see any reason why you need a VT100 for home use. I've played the VT30 and that **** gets loud!

Lots of different amp models for different tones and effects that you can edit a bit.

If you're not gigging with it, and just want a practice amp for home, go for the VT30. The 10" speaker handles more low end than the VT15. The VT100 would be overkill
The 120 is far superior in tone. It's actually quite different from the rest of the series. I have one. It sounds and looks awesome. I love the blue grille.

EDIT: Actual Model Number is AD120VTX
UG's Prodigal Son
Last edited by lunaticfringe93 at Jul 10, 2009,
FWIW, I think the Valvetronix amps sound great for a practice amp. My little brother has one and if I wasn't in a band (and didn't have a lot of pedals) I would probably get one over a blues amp just for the versatility. It's definitely ideal for heavier stuff.
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Vetta. IMO the best solid state amp.
Main Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 Flextone III
To all asking why I need one that big: I'll be using it at home but in large rooms and outdoors that needs to drown out drums while not pushing the amp.

Otherwise: My only problem with it judging from your comments and some reviews is how well it handles effects. I don't use stompboxes because I use a Boss GT-10. Will that destroy the amp's tone?
Kramer EVH 5150
BOSS OD-20
BOSS GT-10
George Lynch Dragon Wah
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah
There are some tube amps in that price range that can be heard over drums and unlike most solid state amps sound better at this volume anyway. Some good amps are the peavey valveking (maybe, i've heard mixed reviews,but if you're gonna use the gt-10 for distortions too it'd be alright), the randall rg50tc or any of the bugera line. They have their reliability issues worked out now I guess.
Why do people bitch about these amps supposedly not taking pedals? The built in effects are more than competent for a stay at home practice amp. OP excepted since you have a GT10. But all the other goobers with a metal zone pedal. Just use the freaking distortion amp models. Don't worry about your $40 pedal!
Hey, the new VTs to me and the band I'm in are fantastic. We use a 15w and a 30w for live and practice right now and these amplifiers just sound and react almost like real tube amps. The only drawback is the footswitch can be hard to find and is 60 dollars, but it's well worth it for its uses live. Great amps!

Edit: And yeah, I wouldn't worry about pedals with this amp, I think the clean and dirty channels sound good enough where you might not need one (unless you prefer the sound of a specific pedal) and the effects aren't adjustable in numerical parameters but you can get many good sounds using the knob and the tap tempo button.
"Don't panic, everything is falling neatly out of order"
- Douglas Adams
Last edited by Otnip at Jul 11, 2009,
Hey TS, if you can you should try it out to see if it has the tone(s) you're looking for. I know that guitar center carries them even if you don't plan to buy it there, you can still try it.
I have the Vox VT30 and it's a good amp for the price. I use it for practice in my bedroom and rarely have it at more than half power or volume.

You're talking about solid state amps though, the Vox amps are hybrids.
Yes, I use a Squier bass.

Quote by ccam555
0/10.

- Looking to improve this somewhat.