SO i really like kt88s and unfortunately they cant fit in Bugera 6262s. What other amps are kt88 compatable?
EL3n Smaller pre-type of EL34. Beautifull coke bottle glass. No NOS spotted, but good used tubes are cheap

6L6 Low cost, reliable tube. Break through of the beam tetrode.
KT66 Better construction 6L6, made in UK
7581A Better construction 6L6, made in USA
5881 Better construction 6L6, made in USA
EL34 Real pentode Can do higher voltage. Works very nice in Class A also.
6550 larger 6L6
KT88 Upgrade of 6L6, designed by TUNG-SOL. Real Pentode, and this something like a big EL34.
KT90 Original idea by EI - Yugoslavia. Modification of EL519 to work like KT88.
K100 So called higher power KT88 from China. Can be anything from 6L6 to KT88, with another jacket.
EL509 Something like larger EL34, but with magnoval socket
EL156 Somthing like very large EL34, but 10 pin socket
EL152 German army tube. Larger than EL34, but with army socket
GU-50 Russian army tube. Same as EL152, but yet another socket. Best and finest tube of this list. Strong a s tank.

http://www.jacmusic.com/KT88/kt88.htm

Reading that, it's just a 6L6 alternative?
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
I think he might mean the bottles are too large for the spacing of the 6l6's in his Boogera...

This...

to this..

But I honestly have no clue. TS, your wording is kinda sketchy... clarify please?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Jul 10, 2009,
Plate dissipation on the KT88 is a lot higher than the 6L6. So...depending on how things are bias-wise and voltage-wise, your OT and/or PT may go POOF!

It's usually OK to go down in power, but not up.

The KT88 also takes 50% more heater current, so depending on how close they toleranced the power transformer heater wiring, you may fry that too because of the extra current draw (.7 amps/tube...so...2.8 amps more. Ouch).
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
There are some Splawns that come stock with KT88's if you order it that way - like a Nitro, Pro Mod, Super Comp for example. These amps are based off the Marshall tone stack. I do know that you can mod the EL34 versions to KT88s, but you can't mod a KT88 version to EL34. Can't speak to Bugera's.

Alot of B00TEEK High gain amps can carry KT88's

the Baron K88 is the Cheapest b00teek amp that carries KT88 that i know of.... it costs 1400 new
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Friend of mine went on tour w/ a homemade amp, plays in a death metal band. Two preamp tubes up front, 12AX7 PI, two KT88s. Great tone. Built it into a cakepan.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by DLrocket89
Plate dissipation on the KT88 is a lot higher than the 6L6. So...depending on how things are bias-wise and voltage-wise, your OT and/or PT may go POOF!

It's usually OK to go down in power, but not up.

The KT88 also takes 50% more heater current, so depending on how close they toleranced the power transformer heater wiring, you may fry that too because of the extra current draw (.7 amps/tube...so...2.8 amps more. Ouch).
This.

Quote by Kingyem0c0re

Reading that, it's just a 6L6 alternative?

KT88s are KT versions of 6550s, they're really clean sounding, and like DLrocket says, they draw a ton more current than your typical 6L6 will, not to mention they're big bottles and have trouble fitting in a lot of amps size-wise.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 10, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Alot of B00TEEK High gain amps can carry KT88's

the Baron K88 is the Cheapest b00teek amp that carries KT88 that i know of.... it costs 1400 new

A bare bones Titan is $1250.
Quote by Silenced7
A bare bones Titan is $1250.

ooh
now im definitely getting that
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Here is the Email i got from Bugera in response

Well, in case you are a qualified electronic technician,. Yes. Look, the KT88 have more power than 6L6, it needs some modification of the circuit. 6L6 can be swapped with 5881, but not with KT88 / 6550 without any effort.
I would not really get an amp just so that I could use KT88s.

What exactly do you like about KT88s anyway?
Quote by al112987
I would not really get an amp just so that I could use KT88s.

What exactly do you like about KT88s anyway?

im just looking to investigate other amps because i tend to like most amps that ive heard with kt88s. Sounds a bit tighter, less harsh mids, more of a balance between el34s and 6l6s
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
ooh
now im definitely getting that

100 watt base model is 1250. Contour control is an extra 50 bucks, and a tube loop adds like 100 or something.

I mean, realistically, the only reason they get more expensive is the 200W power section.
Quote by Atomik1
i thought 6550s were equivilant to el34s?

No, 6550's are more similar to 6L6's, but beefier. The KT77 is the KT version of the EL34, the KT66 is the KT version of a 6L6.

Various Splawns and VHT's can take KT88's, as can the Randall RM100 and RM50. If you want amazing flexibility and some of the best KT88 tone you can get, check out a Randall RM4 preamp with the VHT 2/90/2 power amp (or get the Randall RT2/50 power amp and load both sides with KT88's and run them in stereo or mono).
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores