Me and my two friends have been in a heated debate about how to pick this lick. I won't go into our debate with you, but let me pour some tab on to start:

A:
|-10p7----7-10p7----7-10p7----7-|
|------10--------10--------10---|
|-------------------------------|

B:
|-10p7----7-10p7-10p7----7-10p7-10p7----7-|
|------10-------------10-------------10---|
|-----------------------------------------|

Do you prefer to alt pick these types of licks or do you eco pick them?
Obviously economy is more efficient, but I mean it's 2 strings and my alt picking is way better, is it worth it to just ride out the long run with eco or learn it with my alt technique now so i can play the song and maybe switch over if/when i get good eco later in my career?

(p) is pulloff
(talking about lick A specifically)
1. alt picking: D(p) D U D(p) D U D(p) D U etc.
2. eco picking: U(p) D D U(p) D D etc.

Also when extended to lick B, eco picking requires 2 consecutive U strokes for those pull offs - really annoying - but same question applies i guess: tough it out or just alt it?

(FYI lick B is from fade to black and lick A i am learning in 2 other songs: Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing and Helloween - Gorgar)
I Would use economy, but I use that for everything.
I have no idea why I would use alt when economy is so much faster.
Quote by Reedd
I Would use economy, but I use that for everything.
I have no idea why I would use alt when economy is so much faster FOR ME.

fixed.
Well, lick A just requires a Downstroke, a pull off and then an Upstroke and thats it. For that particular excercise I would just alternate pick.

For lick B I would also use alternate picking becuase with all of the pull ofs it makes really no sense to do economy picking.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
For those licks I would down pick the high E string, and upstroke the B string.

I believe it is called inside picking..
Inside picking is too restrictive. I would economy pick.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by MetalGS3SE
Inside picking is too restrictive. I would economy pick.

Some would say the same about economy picking.

The only techniques that are restrctive are the ones you haven't mastered yet.

So why do you think its too restrctive? I've never had a problem with it in my 12-13 yeard of playing guitar.

TS - just play it which ever way is more comfortable for you. There is no set way you HAVE to pick something.
Why is inside picking too restrictive?

EDIT: forget that question, srob just asked it

srob - Only using downstrokes on the e string is almost impossible, not even hetfield could do that. It's 16th notes at at least 140/150 bpms... Unless you just do 2 picks per cycle, which is lame because there shouldn't be a hammer-on.

To everybody, thanks for the responses. Could you guys give me reasons for your preferences so I can better choose for myself?
Sweep/eco pick for the first and alt pick for the second.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

When you say alt pick the 2nd lick.... is that alt picking each stroke or each note.

To clarify, when you have 10p7 10p7, some would say if you're alt picking to D stroke both notes because you're essentially "missing" the upstrokes on the 7's, like with strumming. Others would say to just D the first pull off and U the second pulloff.
Quote by srob7001
Some would say the same about economy picking.

The only techniques that are restrctive are the ones you haven't mastered yet.

So why do you think its too restrctive? I've never had a problem with it in my 12-13 yeard of playing guitar.

TS - just play it which ever way is more comfortable for you. There is no set way you HAVE to pick something.

What I should have said was "relying on simply inside picking is too restrictive". I also meant it physically. I tend to feel sort of "claustophobic" when picking inside the string. It works for those small occasions, but it tends to get cramped between the strings. I'd rather pick outside the string if possible.

If it works for you, fine. But I've found that you can play things more quickly and efficiently when working in the open space outside of the strings.

I P R O G

Why is inside picking too restrictive?

EDIT: forget that question, srob just asked it

srob - Only using downstrokes on the e string is almost impossible, not even hetfield could do that. It's 16th notes at at least 140/150 bpms... Unless you just do 2 picks per cycle, which is lame because there shouldn't be a hammer-on.

QUOTE]

Well that's how i play it and I can play the Fade to Black solo right along with the cd.

My picking styles are never the same as anyone elses I swear, but they work for me.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
What I should have said was "relying on simply inside picking is too restrictive". I also meant it physically. I tend to feel sort of "claustophobic" when picking inside the string. It works for those small occasions, but it tends to get cramped between the strings. I'd rather pick outside the string if possible.

If it works for you, fine. But I've found that you can play things more quickly and efficiently when working in the open space outside of the strings.

See, I look at it from the complete opposite side as you do. Inside picking alows me to have minimal picking movements without haveing to cross over strings. Less movement equals faster picking.

But I will agree, it doesn't work for every occasion. So I do know both methods, but when I can, I prefer to inside pick things.
Quote by srob7001
See, I look at it from the complete opposite side as you do. Inside picking alows me to have minimal picking movements without haveing to cross over strings. Less movement equals faster picking.

But I will agree, it doesn't work for every occasion. So I do know both methods, but when I can, I prefer to inside pick things.

To each his own, I suppose . I use inside picking often, especially during my slower stuff. But if I speed things up, I tend to get tangled in the strings when staying inside. If I move outside, I can go well beyond my speed limit while inside.

I P R O G

WHY IS THIS SUCH A BIG DEAL TO PEOPLE?

Economy picking is just alternate picking that you have to think about a little bit. It's barely more difficult, but is much more efficient. If you can't do it, or don't want/like to, fine. But economy, believe it or not, is more efficient and faster once you can do it right.

Ranting aside, economy will be faster, and better, but only if you can do it. It's probably not worth the time to learn unless you plan on using it for other things, as you can play that riff pretty easily either way.
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
To each his own, I suppose . I use inside picking often, especially during my slower stuff. But if I speed things up, I tend to get tangled in the strings when staying inside. If I move outside, I can go well beyond my speed limit while inside.

Keep on keep'n on brotha

Like I said to the TS...it's very good to know both ways.
Quote by Ninjake
WHY IS THIS SUCH A BIG DEAL TO PEOPLE?

Economy picking is just alternate picking that you have to think about a little bit. It's barely more difficult, but is much more efficient. If you can't do it, or don't want/like to, fine. But economy, believe it or not, is more efficient and faster once you can do it right.

Ranting aside, economy will be faster, and better, but only if you can do it. It's probably not worth the time to learn unless you plan on using it for other things, as you can play that riff pretty easily either way.

No picking style is "better". If you're going for effeciency, circle picking is the most effecient, being that it utilizes the least amount of muscles. But there are other things to consider than speed. Alternate picking will give you a much harder attack on all your strokes, while economy will give you a much more buttery sound. Depends on what you're going for.
I don't really think about it, I just pick
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Great help... I'd like to be able to not think about it too, but I'm still learning and I want to develop my technique the best way I can...
Ah, good idea. I have trouble from not doing what you are now. I personally would alt. pick it but I have little to no experience with economy.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by timeconsumer09
No picking style is "better". If you're going for effeciency, circle picking is the most effecient, being that it utilizes the least amount of muscles. But there are other things to consider than speed. Alternate picking will give you a much harder attack on all your strokes, while economy will give you a much more buttery sound. Depends on what you're going for.

If you're good at economy, it will give the same sound as alt. The transitions are a bit smoother, yes, but the attack should be the same.

If you want more attack, do all down =P
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
Personally, I'm better at alt picking so I alt pick almost everything, those 2 licks included.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I would pick the first like this:
down, pull off, down, up, down, pull off, down, up...

And the second like this:
down, pull off, down, up, down, pull off, down, pull off...

Easy pattern to alt. pick. (^_^)
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal