Hello there,

excuse me for perhaps opening a thread in a wrong part of the forum.

I am new here.

So, i am working on the song: "Mans Road" of the band America.

And I'm trying to learn the chords for this song. But I see no difference in the
G#-Chord an in the full F-Chord.

Can't find a picture for the G#-Chord like the one in my musicbook, from which i learn playing guitar.

And searching in the internet, i found for every chord many different types.

So, thank you for an explanation.

George
To play G# just move the 4th fret with that F shape.

Last edited by mick13 at Jul 10, 2009,
It's a moveable barre chord. You can use the same shape in every position to make different major chords.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Well, a F-chord is based around the F major scale and the G# chord is based around the G# major scale. Totally different chords/scales. It seems you can't tell a difference in chord shape, I hope. Shape wise, they can be similar if you use the chord shape you are using for F and just move up the G# on the 4th fret.
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by mick13
To play G# just move the 4th fret with that F shape.

That diagram shows the chord on the 3rd fret, which is not a G#. Whoever made that diagram can't cut out the first fret like that.
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Warheart1188
That diagram shows the chord on the 3rd fret, which is not a G#. Whoever made that diagram can't cut out the first fret like that.

um, what would that 4th fr. mean?
Warheart118 is a prick. He clearly thinks he knows it all, but can't even read a chord diagram.

You can just move that chord up to whatever fret for that note.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Basically the Fmaj bar chord is just the Emaj bar chord half step (1 fret) up. This is the most basic way to get any chord outta your guitar except the open chords by which I mean the open Fmaj is just a barred Emaj :>

1st fret = Fmaj, 3rd = Gmaj, 5th = Amaj, 7th = Bmaj, 8th = Cmaj, 10th = Dmaj, 12th = Emaj... :>
The skipped frets are the #& b chords, half step up = # (sharp) chord, half step down = b (flat) chord. So if you move the Gmaj from the 3rd to the 4th fret, youll get the Gmaj + half step = G#maj (Gsharp major). Since your'e now just a half step away from the next higher chord, the Amaj, it G#maj represents also the Amaj - half step which is the Abmaj (A flat major) chord!

Same goes for the Am bar chord ^^ move two frets up and you'll have the Bm chord, + 1 fret Cm, + another two = Dm chord and so on.
Last edited by moza83 at Jul 11, 2009,