If you have a floyd rose, get F-spaced
If not, get regular
Quote by Nietsche
Don't drive. Stay in doors in a padded sterilised germ free room with a strait jacket eating vitamin pills at the appropriate intervals

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by cptcomet
Weird Kid: Do you play by ear?

Me: No, I play by hand.
Quote by brocmartens90
Regular.

um, he said Strat

The reason its called F spaced is because F stands for Fender. All Fenders use that spacing.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by MonsterOfRock at Jul 10, 2009,
Quote by MonsterOfRock
um, he said Strat

The reason its called F shaped spaced is because F stands for Fender Floyd Rose. All Fenders Floyd Rose equipped guitars use that spacing.

Um, I fixed your post.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by MonsterOfRock
um, he said Strat

The reason its called F spaced is because F stands for Fender. All Fenders use that spacing.

F also stands for Floyd Rose and lots of brands make strat shaped guitars, so your Fender theory wouldnt exactly work there.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Oosh. at Jul 10, 2009,
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Um, I fixed your post.

Do your research before you correct me mate. F stands for Fender. Floyd Roses use F spacing as well.

I challenge you to find a Fender guitar that doesnt use F spacing. My Strat certainly does.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Anyone, seriously, find a Fender that uses regular (gibson) spacing, then start an arguement.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Quote by MonsterOfRock
Do your research before you correct me mate. F stands for Fender. Floyd Roses use F spacing as well.

I challenge you to find a Fender guitar that doesnt use F spacing. My Strat certainly does.

Turns out we're both right.
F-Spaced pickups were released after the Floyd Rose, which used the same string spacing as most Fender guitars, hence the term.

Quote by FAQ@DiMarzio.com
What is F-spacing?

All of our full-size humbuckers except the X2N® are available in two polepiece spacings. F-spacing refers to the wider of the two spacings. For proper string alignment and balanced output, F-spaced humbuckers should be used in the bridge position on all guitars with string spacing at the bridge of 2.1" (53 mm) or greater. On these guitars, if the nut width is 1-11/16? (43 mm) or greater, F-spaced pickups can be used in the neck position as well.

Why are there two different spacings?

A long time ago (in the 20th century, actually) the electric guitar world was divided between Gibson and Fender designs. One of the differences between the two was string spacing. In general, Gibson chose a narrower string spacing at the bridge than Fender, and therefore the polepieces on Gibson humbuckers were closer together than the magnets on Fender pickups. When guitar shops started installing humbuckers in the bridge position of Strats, it was obvious that the strings didn?t line up with the polepieces, and if the E strings were too far outside, the sound could suffer. Our first humbuckers followed the original Gibson spacing, and we call them standard-spaced. When we released our first humbuckers with wider spacing, Floyd Rose bridges were very popular. Floyd string-spacing is the same as Fender spacing, so we naturally called the new pickups F-spaced.

So it stands for both, although some Gibsons use F-spacing (90s Les Pauls and Les Paul Jr.s), and modern American Standard Strats don't use F-spacing (they use a 2.0625 spacing, which is bigger than the 2.01 measurement for the F-space), as well as vintage American Strats, who have string spacing of 2.2875, which is much bigger than an F-spaced design.

There's more spacing than Gibson's usual 1.9 and Fender's usual 2.01, as I've just proven.

Btw, you could've just edited your post.
Damn you're impatient.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Last edited by Justice4AllOne at Jul 10, 2009,
Quote by Oosh.
F also stands for Floyd Rose and lots of brands make strat shaped guitars, so your Fender theory wouldnt exactly work there.
BUT he said he has a strat. It has nothing to do with the body shape, it has to do with the bridge

People telling him to get a regular spaced pickup, the F-spaced pickup was made for guitars with Fender's string spacing, which includes all tremolo bridges. It was NOT made just for Floyd Rose guitars. Go take a Gibson and a Fender stratocaster, ANY Fender stratocaster and compare the string spacing, and you'll find that the Fender will have wider spacing and will need an F-spaced pickup. It's a ball park measure. Unless Fender suddenly decided to go with Gibson's string spacing lately then you get an F-spaced pickup.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 10, 2009,
Glad you done the research Justice

The word "F-Spaced" is most likely something DiMarzio made to distinguish, whereas Duncan refers them as "Trembuckers" and other 'trem' variations. Basically refering to tremolo bridges, FRs are merely a 'type' of tremolo bridge.

And yes, the slight variations in individual spacing aren't actually great variations. From what I've heard its for some kinda resonating purposes.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
F-spaced.

Fender bridges have the same sized saddles as the Floyd bridges.

If you get a regular spaced pickup, your poles will be off by nearly 7/16" by the high e string.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
straight from barenkuckle's site:
Wide or F(Fender) spacing is typical of trem equipped guitars and is 53mm as per original Fender spacing.

get F spaced for a fender. and btw, i would reccomend the d activator X or maybe the d sonic, the regular d activator'll sound too bright with a strat and a XXX
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Measure it. If it's 53mm from the centre of the low e pole to the centre of the high e pole then it's F-Spaced.
Quote by MonsterofRock

Quote by Justice4AllOne
Turns out we're both right.
although some Gibsons use F-spacing (90s Les Pauls and Les Paul Jr.s), and modern American Standard Strats don't use F-spacing (they use a 2.0625 spacing, which is bigger than the 2.01 measurement for the F-space), as well as vintage American Strats, who have string spacing of 2.2875, which is much bigger than an F-spaced design.

There's more spacing than Gibson's usual 1.9 and Fender's usual 2.01, as I've just proven.

Justice4AllOne has just "One"
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?