I've been using a GNX3000 through the FX loop on my Fender Champ 25se for a while now, but my GNX is starting to act up (had it over 3yrs now).

I'm going to have to change up, but I'm not sure how I want to go. I really like the clean channel on my head, but the distortion channel sucks balls.

I tried my friends ML-2 Metal Core pedal, but as I thought - it sucks even worse....

what I'm thinking is either the Ibanez tube king, or the Blackstar dual distortion. But I'm wondering whether one of these pedals will give me the tone I keep hearing, or are they just going to turn my amp into a swarm of bees like the ML-2?

Also, would the Blackstar pedal (since it has a direct out) work as a preamp to my FX loop?

Here's what I'm running.....

Fender Champ 25se (I converted from a combo to a head) which has a solid state preamp and a tube power section (2 6l6gc and a 12ax7a) to 2 Eminence Texas Heats. Typically I run my GNX straight to the power amp via "power amp in" jack - to skip the preamp.
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Maybe try looking at an OD pedal like an Ibanez Tubesceamer or Maxon OD808. i hear you should use distortion pedals through tubes amps instead of distortion pedals.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
I would use an OD pedal to drive the gain I already have, problem is the gain I already have sounds like ass (solid state preamp). So I basically need something that sounds good as its own gain or something that takes the place of my preamp.
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
have you tried using the dist. pedal with the clean channel?
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Quote by JKMV11
have you tried using the dist. pedal with the clean channel?

of course.
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
So your gonna be going off the pedal's distortion metal sound alone using the clean channel? Or are you using the pedal with the distortion channel? I'm confused lol
What would be ideal is to use a pedal as a preamp through my fx loop and just take the amps tone out of the picture altogether. But if I have to, I'll use a pedal for my distortion through my amp's clean channel.

basically, my amps distortion channel is totally out of the question
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Quote by phatsack
What would be ideal is to use a pedal as a preamp through my fx loop and just take the amps tone out of the picture altogether. But if I have to, I'll use a pedal for my distortion through my amp's clean channel.

basically, my amps distortion channel is totally out of the question

In the event your doing that, i would strongly recommend the Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Pedal. Fantastic pedal.

If your doing the other thing, idk to be honest lol
Quote by Aurex
Knightmare you are the winner

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Washburn Paul Stanley Sig
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
so, anybody know if the Blackstar pedal can be used as a preamp (straight to poweramp)?? Or does it have to stay in the front of a preamp?
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Quote by phatsack
so, anybody know if the Blackstar pedal can be used as a preamp (straight to poweramp)?? Or does it have to stay in the front of a preamp?

Well I think can be used has a preamp on its own if you put the volume high enough, will it sound good? That's another question. You could also get a good rack preamp
No it should have no problem driving a power amp. Ive done it many times used a stomp box in place of the onboard preamp. A tube pedal with the tube power amp should work pretty good. Just gotta make sure its a pedal where the tubes are driven with sufficient voltage. Some have tubes but try to run em off 9v which doesnt do much for tone, just a gimmick to raise the price. The blackstar looks like a decent pedal as it runs off 300v.
Quote by Sguit
Well I think can be used has a preamp on its own if you put the volume high enough, will it sound good? That's another question. You could also get a good rack preamp

my thoughts exactly, for both points
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre