Ok I repainted my guitar and i kind of snipped those wires, that lead to the pick ups to get the pickups out. my question is, was that a bad idea and sould i get new wires.

question two is, what is the difference between passive and active pickups, and does it have anything to do with how many control knobs there are

i know that these are stupid questions but i cant find anyone to answer them, so i turned to you ppl, so answer them dammit
your imagination is only as colorful as the drugs you are on

Pics of what your talking about on #1 and second........ Pasives are standard Pups that don't need batterys to work and Actives are battery powered Pups like those that EMG make such as the 81.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
1. Why did you snip the wires? :p And can you describe exactly which wires? Were they the wires coming directly out of the pickups, and if so, where did you snip them?

2. Actives use batteries. It has nothing to do with knobs, except that active pickups use lower value pots (25K and 50K I think).
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
First off, you're an asshat for demanding answers.

Ignorance aside:

There's not really a way to 'get new wires'. you can resolder the wires, or replace the pickups.

Active pickups have a battery-powered preamp (usually encased within the pickup by epoxy) that reduces hum and noise that standard passive pickups will usually emit.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by rhoadrunner
Ok I repainted my guitar and i kind of snipped those wires, that lead to the pick ups to get the pickups out. my question is, was that a bad idea and sould i get new wires.

question two is, what is the difference between passive and active pickups, and does it have anything to do with how many control knobs there are

i know that these are stupid questions but i cant find anyone to answer them, so i turned to you ppl, so answer them dammit

Watch your attitude there buddy...

Anyway, It probably wasn't a bad idea, you should be able to strip the ends of the original wires and just resolder them back together. After you solder them together use a heat shrink tube to re-insulate the exposed quarter inch or so of wire. You can buy like a 30 pack of heat shrink tubes at radioshack for about 5 dollars.

The difference between passive and active pickups is that active pickups:
-Use batteries to operate
-Have higher output than passive pickups do

Active pickups are generally used for hard rock and metal and most sound best when used on a distorted setting. One active pickup manufacturer that you probably already know of is EMG, check out their website for more info on their pickups.

Seymour Duncan also makes active pickups which they sell as their "Blackout" series.

Some consider active pickups to be "tone eaters" as they seem to not be as effected by the guitar's tone wood and have a "sound of their own" but this is largely up for debate.

Active pups don't require extra knobs, only enough room for a 9v battery in their control cavity. EMG also has an X-series of pickups which don't require soldering and apparently retain more of an "organic" sound from the guitar.
i got to say one of the things i dont like about this site is there seems to be an over abundance of assholes and people who want to have there asses kissed . either help someone or dont.
I just find that if the original post is polite/helpful, then every answer will be much more helpful.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by amx05462
i got to say one of the things i dont like about this site is there seems to be an over abundance of assholes and people who want to have there asses kissed . either help someone or dont.

Are you high.........really!
1) Pics would help us help him.........cause we don't see his project with our own eye thats like a blind dude discribing a mugger.
2)That post you just made is actually what we call spam and is a reportable and bannable offence.
3)We that love the GB&C we don't want respect we just want all the F**king wild guessers to shut the ---- up if you don't know what your talking about.
4)Have a nice day
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Last edited by Unherolike at Jul 10, 2009,
^it's funny because you're crazy

Now, to avoid this post being spammy, TS check out Invader Jim's tutorial on converting a two-wire humbucker to four-wire, depending on how high up you snipped the wires.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.