Could anyone fine me or does anyone have one of these readily available. sorry i am quite a n00b.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
There's no such thing. There's an E minor scale and an E phrygian scale but those are 2 completely separate things.
you do the minor scale.. but start and end on the third mode (phyrgian)

A w B h C w D w E h F w G w A

this is the minor scale in A, the w's stand for whole-steps and the h's stand for halfsteps

now transpose that to E:

E w F# h G w A w B h C w D w E

and it's Phyrgian mode (or third mode is)

G A B C D E F# G <-- wait... thats G minor phyrgian

wth..

use that one xD
Opus Pocus =]
G w A w B h C w D w E w F# h G

ok so..

E Phyrgian minor is

E F# G# A B C# D# E

there it is..

on the 6th or 1st string it's

0-2-4-5-7-9-11-12
Opus Pocus =]
it's E Maj ?? =]

ok.. now i'm confused :P

maybe it dosen't exist for a reason
Opus Pocus =]
hes not completely wrong he just said it the wrong way.

here you go bro. if you go down to the music store and pick up a music theory book and a couple of scale finders it'll help you out tremendously
The Phrygian scale, or mode, is the third of the seven musical modes. It is similar to the natural minor except for the lowered second. The Phrygian scale is the minor scale that appears when a major scale is started from the third note (third scale-degree). Thus, a C major scale played from "E" is an E Phrygian scale. This is why the term "mode" is more appropriate than "scale".

The E Phrygian mode is the same as a C major. So what's the difference? There is no difference; it's the chords that create the magic. Playing an E Phrygian scale over a C major chord will sound exactly like playing a C major scale (because they are identical). However, playing an E Phrygian scale over an E minor chord will sound "Phrygian".
so basically, i can use the normal e phyrgian, over an e minor song, like voodoo child, and it will sound phyrgian?
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by Highway60Bob
so basically, i can use the normal e phyrgian, over an e minor song, like voodoo child, and it will sound phyrgian?

Well phrygian has a flat 3rd making it a minor mode so theoretically it could work.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Highway60Bob

No, E phrygian can be used over A minor. B phrygian works over E minor.
Quote by pwrmax
No, E phrygian can be used over A minor. B phrygian works over E minor.

No, that's not how modes work.

E Phrygian has nothing to do with A minor and would/can never be used in the key of A minor or over an A minor chord. In that context those notes would be A minor and only A minor.

Likewise B phrygian doesn't even EXIST over an E minor chord or progression, in that context those notes are E minor

TS, you're halfway there but it's not as simple as just "choosing" to use a mode, you have to choose the correct chords to play over too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Highway60Bob

yeah you got it bro..ignore them fighting over it. music is theory. you just do it the way you understand it and you'll be ok for now.
wow. this is confusing me.
Quote by ultimatedaver
Quote by steven seagull
E Phrygian has nothing to do with A minor and would/can never be used in the key of A minor or over an A minor chord. In that context those notes would be A minor and only A minor.

E phrygian is just a different mode of A minor, is it not? I probably said it in the wrong context, I should have just said E minor scale in E minor. But if you follow the chords progression strictly then it shouldn't matter if you call it B phrygian or E aeolian since you will be using the same chord tones and embellishing tones.

But I do agree, it shouldn't be called B phrygian in E minor. I just want to give TS the opportunity to use a "phrygian" scale and still make it sound good.

EDIT:
Quote by Highway60Bob
wow. this is confusing me.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1042392
Last edited by pwrmax at Jul 10, 2009,
i just wanted to spice up my soloing by learning a new mode.... =[
Quote by ultimatedaver
Quote by Highway60Bob

Look up Marty Friedman's Melodic Control video if you didn't already, you can do amazing things with something as simple as a minor scale.
Quote by Highway60Bob

That's not what modes do though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by pwrmax
No, E phrygian can be used over A minor.

Then it wouldn't be phrygian, it would just be A minor in a different octave.

Yeah you can use E phrygian over an E minor chord, it shares the same intervals but the second. The b2 might sound exotic or something
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by pwrmax
E phrygian is just a different mode of A minor, is it not? I probably said it in the wrong context, I should have just said E minor scale in E minor. But if you follow the chords progression strictly then it shouldn't matter if you call it B phrygian or E aeolian since you will be using the same chord tones and embellishing tones.

But I do agree, it shouldn't be called B phrygian in E minor. I just want to give TS the opportunity to use a "phrygian" scale and still make it sound good.

E Phygian is the 3rd mode in C major, which yes is relative to Am. But, think on it this way, Despite having the same notes and the same chords, an Am progression and a C progression will sound completely different. You can't play Am over C and you can't play C over Am because the progression dictates the function of the scale. So if you try to play E phrygian over Am, what you're really playing is still Am.

And it definitely DOES matter what you call it. Phrygian has a specific sound to it, if you're not achieving that sound you're not playing the mode, and calling it Phrygian will only cause confusion.

HOWEVER

For simple rock and blues music, you can sometimes get away with playing Dorian over a minor progression (So A Dorian over an A minor progression) and Mixolydian over a major progression (C Mixolydian over C major progression). It won't be truly modal, but it does imply it.