I play the RR3 in my sig. But its not the new RR3 Pro, its the older RR3, with Duncan Designed Detonators (Korean made, based off of SD Invaders) Disregard the Cube in my sig because when I get back from Germany in about a month He will be sold. With that money and some extra pocket cash Im going to buy a B52 AT112 All tube Combo. After this Im gonna have just over $200/121 pounds/143 euros left. Im wanting to replace my sub par pickups with it.

I play Metal along the lines of Old Metallica, Sabbath, Maiden, Quiet Riot, Judas Priest, Dio, Accept, etc. But also newer sounds like- Rammstein, Papa Roach, Three Days Grace, etc.

In the Bridge- Im looking for a high output pickup with a lot of sustain. Decent Cleans are Good, but the neck pickup will be the source of most of my cleans. Wanting to reach tones such as the chorus of "Mann Gegen Mann" by Rammstein, A very high output song, and the Chorus of "Children of the Damned" by Iron Maiden.

In the neck- I want a smooth sounding, clean pickup sounding a little like the intro to "Fade to Black" by Metallica, "Ohne Dich" by Rammstein and the intro to "Bible Black" by Heaven and Hell. But I also want to play some smooth distortion with it, like the lead in Bible Black when Tony starts up. And on Fade to Black when Kirk starts up with the lead part.

For Reference-
Bridge-
Chorus of Mann Gegen Mann: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GZF9FC86UY
Chorus of Children of the damned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m27qo-i0Vhk

Neck-
Fade to Black: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R_mvGY6NUM&feature=related
Ohne Dich: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pkLDEEs20U
Bible Black: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwFTBj376zk

Much apologies for the Berlin Wall of text. Any help is greatly appreciated.

tl;dr Playing through B52 AT112, Bridge= High Output/ Sustain. Neck= Smooth Cleans, smooth Distortion. Heavy Metal, budget= Just over $200
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Duncan Blackouts me thinks. Heavy tones, but not bad when it comes to the cleans.

Edit: Or maybe SD's with a SH-6 in the bridge and an SH-2 in the neck. I should probably note that i am not sure of the prices of these. But i think the 6 and 2 combo is like 150 USD.
Quote by Aurex
Knightmare you are the winner

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Washburn Paul Stanley Sig
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
Last edited by Knightmare444 at Jul 10, 2009,
Sorry, Forgot to mention in the OP. Looking for passives. Im on the SD site looking at the SH-6 right now though.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Maybe a different brand even. I don't have much experience with pick ups outside of seymour duncans, so i couldn't really throw you in the right direction. But maybe Dimarzio's?
Quote by Aurex
Knightmare you are the winner

Gear:
Jay Turser Les Paul
PRS SE Custom 24
Washburn Paul Stanley Sig
Fender Stratocaster
Fender CD-60CE
Line 6 Spider III 120
VK112 w/Man o War
bridge: seymour duncan SH-6, dimarzio D activator

neck: dimarzio evo 2, dimarzio air norton
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
out of the evo 2 and air norton, what would you recommend? Also, '59?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

What wood is the RR? The SH6 can be quite bright. I'm more for the D-Activator... I think it has a little more balanced sound betweent the 2 choices you have there.

Depending on how you like your neck tone, the Air Norton can be the more suitable one. The Evo 2 is very smooth, and very Vai-ish, and so quite a unique tone in that sense. If you're slanting towards a Vai-ish sound, go for the Evo 2, otherwise the Air Norton.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
^ The RR is Alder.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Quote by VanTheKraut
^ The RR is Alder.

Which is technically similar to basswood in tone, but it doesn't absorb a lot of the lows and highs, so it comes across as less middy.

I've used a SH6 in an basswood RG and it was nice in the RG, but when I put it into an alder guitar, I found it just a tad too sharp. Personally, I'd use the D Activator for the bridge, but its really up to you. I found the SH6 sharp personally, I'm not certain if it'll come across as sharp for you too.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Which is technically similar to basswood in tone, but it doesn't absorb a lot of the lows and highs, so it comes across as less middy.

I've used a SH6 in an basswood RG and it was nice in the RG, but when I put it into an alder guitar, I found it just a tad too sharp. Personally, I'd use the D Activator for the bridge, but its really up to you. I found the SH6 sharp personally, I'm not certain if it'll come across as sharp for you too.

So does that mean its bright? I was thinking if it was bright I could put some SD invaders in because they're supposed to be really dark.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Quote by VanTheKraut
So does that mean its bright? I was thinking if it was bright I could put some SD invaders in because they're supposed to be really dark.

No no, don't think of it as bright.

The tone is very close to basswood, but then basswood absorbs a lot of the highs and lows, so it sounds very middy.

Alder does not absorb the highs or lows, so it comes across as having less mids than basswood, but that is because the highs and lows are not more present in the alder than the basswood.

I find that basswood has a softer and more subtle tone, whereas alder comes across as "harder" and more prominent.

Are you looking purely at seymour duncans or dimarzio as well?

I think you can consider these too:
Duncan Custom™ SH-5 and TB-5
Parallel Axis Trembucker™ Distortion PATB-2
Custom Custom™ SH-11 and TB-11
Alternative 8 SH-15

Although like I mentioned the SH-6 can definitely be considered as well, just that for me, when I moved it from my RG to my Alexi, I found it a little bright, but that can be because I was making comparison based on what I heard in my RG.

For alder, I'd try to go with pickups that do not accentuate one range of frequencies over the other.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Both SD and Dimarzio. Looked at some Bareknuckles but they were kinda expensive.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie