My teachers been teaching me arpeggios.

Granted arpeggios are neat and fun to play. However, I want to learn lead. We did pentatonics a few weeks ago, but that was it.

I want to learn all of em. Lydian, Mocrian, Dorian, etc.

Theres also another teacher at the shop that gives lessons. I'mthinking of taking some from him, and then between his lessons, take the first guys lessons. What do you think?
What the hell is Mocrian?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra

I think he meant Locrian.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
well considering amazing lead players use sweeps and sweeps use arpeggios...
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Quote by jambi_mantra

Colin Mochries Own scale!

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Maybe you could just ask him to teach you that? He might even have a reason for teaching you those first.
Quote by DirtyMakik
Hand Solo... got it?

Hand... Solo!

*makes fapping movement*

aww forget it.
Quote by cukd7x-a2-
well considering amazing lead players use sweeps and sweeps use arpeggios...

Ya, you have to learn to crawl b4 you can walk. You have to take it one step at a time. I'm sure the other guy will tell you the same thing.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
Yeah, its Locrian. I was typing fast.

Theyre just scales, darn it. Why, oh why, cant I learn them? LOL

I still want to try this other guy. He seems more practical.
Quote by neptune1988
Yeah, its Locrian. I was typing fast.

Theyre just scales, darn it. Why, oh why, cant I learn them? LOL

I still want to try this other guy. He seems more practical.

there are also some great resources on this site. you can do some private practice. here is one link that might help.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=999592

good luck.
--Einstein

--Einstein
you can always ask this current guy if you want to learn more scales and practice them some more. I wouldn't jump out unless you don't like his teaching style.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Quote by neptune1988
My teachers been teaching me arpeggios.

Granted arpeggios are neat and fun to play. However, I want to learn lead. We did pentatonics a few weeks ago, but that was it.

I want to learn all of em. Lydian, Mocrian, Dorian, etc.

Theres also another teacher at the shop that gives lessons. I'mthinking of taking some from him, and then between his lessons, take the first guys lessons. What do you think?

Ever heard of Yngwie Malmsteen?
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by pak1351
learning the caged system?

Learned about 2 or 3 months ago. Been using it ever since. UBER-useful. Especially if you play blues.

by the way, I realized I should have put this in the MusianTalk forum. oh well.
I teach guitar and the majority of pupils i get who leave, tend to either think i'm not teaching them the right stuff or get frustrated because i don't show them the tabs they want to learn. Ive been teaching for 10 years and have taught about 100 pupils. I always bring on kids who want to do fast lead guitar if that is what they want.

Make sure there is an understanding what you want to do. Make sure as well you are not treating the guitar lesson as a practice session. This is very common. Lessons are supposed to guide you and spot any weaknesses and teach you to teach yourself. A lot of kids think i should be showing them everything they are doing. If you go to your teacher and say you have learned x or y he will take that into consideration.
Last edited by Atomik1 at Jul 10, 2009,
Quote by Atomik1
Make sure as well you are not treating the guitar lesson as a practice session. This is very common. Lessons are supposed to guide you and spot any weaknesses and teach you to teach yourself.

Thanks Atomik1. I needed to hear that. Ive only had about 5 lessons so far and I was guilty of exactly that last week. I could see the disapiontment on my teachers face. Not cool.
Thanks for the reminder!
Quote by BrashPersona
guitar teachers ..... Booo

Posts like these, even though I'm an 09'er, bother me something chronic. They're just flipping pointless.

Atomik hit it right on the head (And now I will copy what he said in a less orderly fashion because I can't speak English for **** ). The teacher is their to give you an idea of what's essential to learning guitar, and you must dedicate yourself to learning these things by yourself, not have him/her (I actually had a female guitar teacher) baby step you through everything just so you can forget one day after the lesson...

Considering you've only had about five lessons I'd say give him some time and focus on what he's teaching you, arpeggios aren't necessarily a bad idea for leads even if you aren't up to learning them.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.