I have:
Ibanez S Prestige
Line 6 Valve 112
Line 6 Toneport GX
Acid Pro 7
and will be getting Guitar Rig soon

I will be using the preamp in my Line 6 Valve and run it through gearbox and Guitar Rig, since it has all the presets and sounds I use live, since I can't get the sound I want from just software.

From the recording side I think I'm covered, but what would be helpful for mastering/finalizing/tweaking the instruments and what would help me get the right sound that I want, as far as plugins?

Do you have any suggestions for something that would either enhance/clean-up the tone, or anything like that?
wait if your getting sounds from the valve 6 then why do you need guitar rig? maybe im not getting it? anyways you have a really nice guitar and if you use guitar rig 3 you can get some really nice tones. which genre of music are you doing as that will be somewhat important on what plug-ins you want to get. also are you planing on recording real drums or programming a sampler (such as EZdrummer,BFD, superior drummer,steven slate drums....) once i get how youre recording i can help with that too. as for mastering on most daws you can do a tad of editing on the master track. You can also download mastering software (ive heard of ozone master and T-racks although theres many mastering software) For most, mastering isnt super necesarry and if you ever want to get a serious CD going, youll want to get your cd mastered by a pro. Even Devin Townsend on his complete solo album ,Ziltoid the omnesiceint(sp?), he got it mastered by a pro. Mastering is pretty much a whole new skill from recording and its best to have someone whos done it a bagiilion times.
Last edited by MetalBass 77 at Jul 10, 2009,
My bad, I forgot to mention. I use this method for recording distortion mostly. When I plug the preamp directly into the computer, it has a lot of static, and sounds just too raw. I used Gearbox and POD Farm for emulating different amp cabs, so basically running it through a clean channel software-side.

I want to see what I can get from Guitar Rig as far as modeling amp cabs and I want to see what tone I can get from their clean amps.

I will be working on projects ranging from metal to rock, to various genres that utilize both skill-sets.

As for the drums, right now I'm using the standard set in Acid, and Guitar Pro for making the midi tracks. My laptop's not strong enough for anything like EZdrummer or DKFH, so I'll be looking into that a bit later, maybe even making tracks with samples.

I'm looking for something that will help liven up the sound for heavy guitar tracks, as well as add depth to clean tracks.

And thanks about the guitar compliment, it's my baby .
Quote by a13xr3d
My bad, I forgot to mention. I use this method for recording distortion mostly. When I plug the preamp directly into the computer, it has a lot of static, and sounds just too raw. I used Gearbox and POD Farm for emulating different amp cabs, so basically running it through a clean channel software-side.

I want to see what I can get from Guitar Rig as far as modeling amp cabs and I want to see what tone I can get from their clean amps.

I will be working on projects ranging from metal to rock, to various genres that utilize both skill-sets.

As for the drums, right now I'm using the standard set in Acid, and Guitar Pro for making the midi tracks. My laptop's not strong enough for anything like EZdrummer or DKFH, so I'll be looking into that a bit later, maybe even making tracks with samples.

I'm looking for something that will help liven up the sound for heavy guitar tracks, as well as add depth to clean tracks.

And thanks about the guitar compliment, it's my baby .

oh ok i get it. as for plug-ins im guessing you wont really need any synths or piano. also EZdrummer/DFH take very little ram up. i only have 512 mb of ram and i can run drum kit from hell,reaper, and 4 instances of guitar rig. it really doesnt take much ram. However i want to get another gig of ram so i can finnaly use superior drummer to its full capacity. for livening up i think the plugins you have are enough , adding the tube compressor on guitar rig gives a really raunchy sound if thats something youd like to have. anyways what you have seems to be pretty good, you also may want to try guitar rig by itself.

EDIT: yea im primarily a bass player so my 7 and 6 string guitars are both washburn (awesome quality for a cheap price), but i got to try my friends prestige and it was freaking amazing.
Last edited by MetalBass 77 at Jul 10, 2009,
I just tried the demo of Guitar Rig. It really didn't work with what I was going with, so I guess I'll stick with POD Farm. lol, anything I try I always seem to go back to line 6 .

I tried out a LOT of guitars, and it came down to this vs Vai's Jem. The tone on the Prestige and how it plays is just amazing! But it's hard with recording, since it doesn't have the deeper tone from heavier guitars. But oh well, I guess my music will be that much more unique, lol.

I tried out DFH before, and I couldn't get it to work right, and it was lagging a bit. I'll just wait until I get a better computer. (might be getting a 17" Macbook Pro)
Quote by a13xr3d
I just tried the demo of Guitar Rig. It really didn't work with what I was going with, so I guess I'll stick with POD Farm. lol, anything I try I always seem to go back to line 6 .

I tried out a LOT of guitars, and it came down to this vs Vai's Jem. The tone on the Prestige and how it plays is just amazing! But it's hard with recording, since it doesn't have the deeper tone from heavier guitars. But oh well, I guess my music will be that much more unique, lol.

I tried out DFH before, and I couldn't get it to work right, and it was lagging a bit. I'll just wait until I get a better computer. (might be getting a 17" Macbook Pro)

im using a pc laptop but if youve ever read tweaks guide he says a macbooc is the only laptop he'd recommend for recording so thatd def be a good way to go. make sure you get as much ram as you can, seeing as ram is actually quite cheap for how much better it makes your computer ( 20$ for one gig for my toshiba, it will make my comp x3 faster than it is now) Your prob gonna want to save cash but if you can afford it, get superior drummer 2.0 with your new mac. the default kit is pretty decent but with some customizing you can get a kit that sounds so real it isnt even funny. drum kit from hell sounds really nice off the bat, problem is its been used by alot of people so by home music producers/recorders they can tell its dfh. This doesnt make it bad as its still a really good sounding metal/rock kit and, im using it on all of my songs until i can get more ram for superior drummer and an external drive to hold all 25 gigs it takes up. weird my friend was thinking about a jem too but i think it was a bit too expensive for him (he went thorugh a guitar phase and bought guitars he didnt really need, if he saved he couldve gotten 2 jems)
Thanks for the info. Hopefully soon I'll get a Toneport UX8 and a couple of sm57's and record that way, especially since my amp has a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker.