I own a Les Paul Studio i cannot afford a new guitar so im thinking of upgrading the pick ups in mine I am considering buying an EMG Alexi Signature HZ for the bridge and a Seymour Duncan SH-8 invader for the neck i will probably get someone to intall them for me because i dont want to risk messing up my guitar

Anyone know why i should or should not do this???
you could probably do it yourself, theres a wiring thread floating around here, there are guides in there.

also, this is just my opinion, but EMG HZ's aren't anything special, and nor are Invaders...
Don't waste your money on a emg hz. Tell us what you play and what amp you have and what you don't like about your tone.

Installing pickups is quite easy, just look up soldering tutorials and follow a diagram.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
^That's a custom wound HZ made especially for Alexi and has a boost based on his old Jackson booster built in. I personally think his usual sound is awesome, and if this is supposed to emulate his pre-AYDY sound then I would recommend it, possibly as the ONLY good HZ.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
If you have a terrible amp, then they won't do anything.

You could get his sound with any humbucker really. Scooped mids and high, treble, gain and bass. So what amp are you playing through?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life

You could get his sound with any humbucker really. Scooped mids and high, treble, gain and bass. So what amp are you playing through?

Alexi doesn't scoop his mids, dude. He boost mids and treble and actually has lower bass and gain. If you look at his JCM800, his mids are set to 7.2 with treble at 7 and bass around 5. On his Lee Jackson preamp, mids and treble are maxed out, he uses the More Bass output, with the mid shift on 3 (out of 5 I think) and he bass on 3. He gets a lot of tone from the super strong high mids, as well as his boosted passive pickup. It definitely contributes to his tone.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

^

Alexi's tone is fantastic, and he's one of the few guitarists who manages to cut through. He actually states in interviews that he has to have tonnes of mids. Also, his booster isn't just a gain boost - it's a preamp with an EQ and gain boost, which he uses to dial in more mids and treble.

Also, the Alexi HZ is a NEW pickup. It's a distinct pickup from the others. Bear in mind, too, that Alexi has chosen an HZ over an active model for years, and he only used a Blackout very briefly.

I'm really excited about getting hold of one of these sets, because the ESP-made MM04 preamp in Alexi's custom shop guitars is super expensive to buy.. and the Jackson preamps are pretty much impossible to get hold of.
Quote by -MintSauce-
^

Alexi's tone is fantastic, and he's one of the few guitarists who manages to cut through. He actually states in interviews that he has to have tonnes of mids. Also, his booster isn't just a gain boost - it's a preamp with an EQ and gain boost, which he uses to dial in more mids and treble.

Also, the Alexi HZ is a NEW pickup. It's a distinct pickup from the others. Bear in mind, too, that Alexi has chosen an HZ over an active model for years, and he only used a Blackout very briefly.

I'm really excited about getting hold of one of these sets, because the ESP-made MM04 preamp in Alexi's custom shop guitars is super expensive to buy.. and the Jackson preamps are pretty much impossible to get hold of.

Yeah, me too! I'd give up my DiMarzio D Activator X for one of those! And if I don't care for the pickup itself, I'll just get Phil to make me a J-50BC copy and use the booster with it

He also has an EMG81 in his Arrowhead, but that's only his practice guitar. He recorded Blooddrunk with the Blackouts, and the sound of the album suffered dearly for it (still sounds great, but is kinda muddy). If he had his old Jacksons or this new pickup set at the time, their tone probably would have been a lot better. I think Roope used the boosted HZ and sounded better than Alexi on that album

EDIT: A reason why you should NOT use a Seymour Duncan Invader int he neck, however, is simply that the pickups is FAR too string and bassy to go in that position. I'd choose a lower output Duncan like the 59 for that, and hook both it and the EMG up to the boost so you won't have to worry about going back and forth between the active boost circuit and the passive pickup.

Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by JoePerry4life

fail. he has quite a bit of mids. That's why his tone hit real heavy. Cant do that without mids. high treble gain and bass is right though. i think hz's are ok.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Neale
I own a Les Paul Studio i cannot afford a new guitar so im thinking of upgrading the pick ups in mine I am considering buying an EMG Alexi Signature HZ for the bridge and a Seymour Duncan SH-8 invader for the neck i will probably get someone to intall them for me because i dont want to risk messing up my guitar

Anyone know why i should or should not do this???

we need to know what amp(s) you currently own. we need to know.
Quote by Shinozoku
Yeah, me too! I'd give up my DiMarzio D Activator X for one of those! And if I don't care for the pickup itself, I'll just get Phil to make me a J-50BC copy and use the booster with it

He also has an EMG81 in his Arrowhead, but that's only his practice guitar. He recorded Blooddrunk with the Blackouts, and the sound of the album suffered dearly for it (still sounds great, but is kinda muddy). If he had his old Jacksons or this new pickup set at the time, their tone probably would have been a lot better. I think Roope used the boosted HZ and sounded better than Alexi on that album

EDIT: A reason why you should NOT use a Seymour Duncan Invader int he neck, however, is simply that the pickups is FAR too string and bassy to go in that position. I'd choose a lower output Duncan like the 59 for that, and hook both it and the EMG up to the boost so you won't have to worry about going back and forth between the active boost circuit and the passive pickup.

yeah dont get an invader. It honestly sucks... a lot.. For neck buy another hz or a sd jazz or 59 as stated above. I think hz is the best option because itll look real wierd with one emg and one duncan honestly. I'd sacrifice tone for looks because it looks stupid imo.

WHAT AMP??!!?! DO!?>! YOU1>!?> HAAAVEEEEE?!?!?>1!!1
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
it'll look real wierd with one emg and one duncan honestly. I'd sacrifice tone for looks because it looks stupid imo.

like anyone can read your pickup bobbins in the dark when your mashing riffs on stage.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by Shinozoku

They make an invader for the neck postition you know.. I have one in my ibanez, theyre not as bad as everyone thinks.

But TS you really need to know what music u wanna play to have one in the neck.
Bands I've seen:
Jet
Metallica
Lamb of God
Baroness
A Day To Remember
Underoath
Northlane
In The Walls
Saints Alight
Live As A Monster
Bleach The Skies
Red Ribbon Army
The Amity Affliction
Madisonfoxx
Buried In Verona
Quote by dave2233
They make an invader for the neck postition you know.. I have one in my ibanez, theyre not as bad as everyone thinks.

But TS you really need to know what music u wanna play to have one in the neck.

Ah, I forgot that. As long as he doesn't get the bridge model then

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Ah, I forgot that. As long as he doesn't get the bridge model then

yeah, i have a set of invaders, i dont mind the neck one that much though, i just got myself a good eq pedal for me cleans and it sounds ok aye.
Bands I've seen:
Jet
Metallica
Lamb of God
Baroness
A Day To Remember
Underoath
Northlane
In The Walls
Saints Alight
Live As A Monster
Bleach The Skies
Red Ribbon Army
The Amity Affliction
Madisonfoxx
Buried In Verona
Quote by Shinozoku

I think Roope used the boosted HZ and sounded better than Alexi on that album

That just reminded me.. didn't he use an X2N in his 'Wildchild' guitar that got stolen? I think Roope's used an X2N, then an SH-8, then an HZ-H2F. He's probably far enough out of the industry's attention to not be bombarded with endorsement deals and free products, like I'd imagine Alexi does.

Edit: And a '59 would be great in the neck. Most metal pickups will turn to **** in the neck position, because there's way too much bass, and they're not voiced for that. The '59 is a little tamer, so whilst you don't get insane output, you also don't get all of the bass coming through.
Last edited by -MintSauce- at Jul 12, 2009,
Quote by -MintSauce-
That just reminded me.. didn't he use an X2N in his 'Wildchild' guitar that got stolen? I think Roope's used an X2N, then an SH-8, then an HZ-H2F. He's probably far enough out of the industry's attention to not be bombarded with endorsement deals and free products, like I'd imagine Alexi does.

Edit: And a '59 would be great in the neck. Most metal pickups will turn to **** in the neck position, because there's way too much bass, and they're not voiced for that. The '59 is a little tamer, so whilst you don't get insane output, you also don't get all of the bass coming through.

Pretty sure all his Jacksons had the J-50BC. Sure you ain't thinkin of Chuck Schuldiner? He used an X2N. Roope as far as I know has used an Invader, an EMG 81, and the H2.

Stupid name.

Quote by Shinozoku
Pretty sure all his Jacksons had the J-50BC. Sure you ain't thinkin of Chuck Schuldiner? He used an X2N. Roope as far as I know has used an Invader, an EMG 81, and the H2.

think you're right. chuck used x2n. pretty sure neither alexi nor roope used dimarzios.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Yeah, very few guys use the X2N, let alone as effectively as Chuck did. Only guy I can think of now is Michael Romeo (forget Josh Rand xD To be fair though, I need to hear more of their stuff, I actually love me some Stone Sour from time to time...).

But yeah, TS: Go for a Duncan 59 or Pearly Gates with the HZ in the bridge, you'll be a lot more pleased I think.

Stupid name.