The string gauge for the string I am having issues with is 52. The harmonic is an issue with all frets but is most noticeable when played open. I can mask the harmonic by changing the tone nob on the guitar but then I have to use a sound I dont want for some songs. Note the ringing harmonic sound that plays along with the open note. My boss chromatic tuner can't even get a good c note reading because of this ring. The only way I can tune it correctly is if I strike the string with my thumb which doesn't play the harmonic sound whereas when striking the string with the pick it does.

Please refer to the youtube link below for a demonstration of the problem. Anything you can possibly think of that may contribute to an OPEN note played with the harmonic problem please reply. Please dont refer to any fret buzz problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9QmmdB1bUs
I've heard having the pickups too close to the strings can cause wierd issues with harmonics. Could be that?
i've tried messing around with the pick ups. Didn't help any there so I put them back to what I originally had them.
Is this something that started happening all of the sudden? It could be that the guitar needs to be set up for drop c if it hasn't already. Do the other natural harmonics sound normal?
Quote by higglor
Is this something that started happening all of the sudden? It could be that the guitar needs to be set up for drop c if it hasn't already. Do the other natural harmonics sound normal?

not really all that sudden. I've just been putting up with it for so long and i am not fed up with it. What does it take to set up a guitar for dropped C? What small checklist could I go by to make sure i did everything i needed too?
I'm not sure of everything, but the intonation has to be setup for drop c and maybe some truss rod adjustments, not sure about that one though. Your intonation is good when each string is in tune open and on the 12th fret harmonic. I watched your youtube video and this problem is similar to what i'm having with my guitar, which was set up for standard tuning and is now in drop c.
Last edited by higglor at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by higglor
I'm not sure of everything, but the intonation has to be setup for drop c and maybe some truss rod adjustments, not sure about that one though. Your intonation is good when each string is in tune open and on the 12th fret harmonic. I watched your youtube video and this problem is similar to what i'm having with my guitar, which was set up for standard tuning and is now in drop c.

I checked the intonation and made some adjustments. As far as the truss rod goes I always adjust that so I have the best action I can have w/o fret buzz. Im thinking I might need some better quality pick ups?
Maybe. Have you ruled out everything else? Bad guitar cable, bad speaker cable, amp problem, input jack, etc? It still does it after intonation adjustments?
dude i had a similar problem. I think the tunings low and causing some weird harmonic, I ended up trying a hair band around my headstock near the nut.... later replaced by bandana looks cool, fixed problem. Ive used hair bands and other things, when in need, but Ive learned to control it cause i know how to hit the open for the harmonic, or regular or muted, which adds a cool variety.
How did you learn to control it. I'm experiencing a similar problem.
Quote by Sgt.Zen
dude i had a similar problem. I think the tunings low and causing some weird harmonic, I ended up trying a hair band around my headstock near the nut.... later replaced by bandana looks cool, fixed problem. Ive used hair bands and other things, when in need, but Ive learned to control it cause i know how to hit the open for the harmonic, or regular or muted, which adds a cool variety.

Can you show a picture maybe of how you have that set up?

I can rule out all the guitar cables and pedals I have. I have a fender mustang that sounds just perfect.

One other thing i COULD try is lowering the gauge of my strings. However the strings I am using now are whats recommended for dropped C. If I get a smaller string gauge and still have the problem then it has something to do with that particular tuning for a guitar that may or may not be set up for it.

The only way I can mask it right now is messing with the tone nobs on the guitar. It can mask the harmonic but also make a sound that isn't bad but not always what you what for a particular song.

Your solution however seems to be a likely fix. The more I think about it the more I feel that the problem lies with the nut.
my guess is there's some string buzz, and the fret it's hitting on is in the perfect spot to cause a weird harmonic affect. if you slide your finger along can you tell exactly where the harmonic is coming from? because if it's right on top of a fret this is most likely the problem.
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
my guess is there's some string buzz, and the fret it's hitting on is in the perfect spot to cause a weird harmonic affect. if you slide your finger along can you tell exactly where the harmonic is coming from? because if it's right on top of a fret this is most likely the problem.

I really have this issue no matter which fret I play on. Its just sounds worse on a open C but even if I set the action really high for that particular string its still bad. I can honestly say that the string isn't coming in contact with any frets.

I am leaning toward the quality of the pick ups. The guitar in the video is a cheaper h-100 ltd model and the pick ups that come with it are nothing great.

Now everybody else who has this problem would any of you agree that it sounds worse ore is more noticeable when playing with the neck pick up and not so much with the bridge? This is why I am thinking the pick ups are the problem. Not so much that something is wrong with them but they are just poor quality and can not pick up the lows as nicely as better pick ups would. Thats my best guess as of now.
^I honestly don't think it is the pickups. I mean, I have a squier and had it for the last week in Drop C and didn't hear any kind of strange harmonics, and the pickups in it are stock
could be a weird wiring problem giving you strange feedback... i mean... weird. i don't know i hope you get it sorted out, at least it's not a weird warped neck like i thought it could have been
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
could be a weird wiring problem giving you strange feedback... i mean... weird. i don't know i hope you get it sorted out, at least it's not a weird warped neck like i thought it could have been

its possible considering its pick up related i think. The only thing is its only happening on the that string. If there was a problem with the wiring wouldn't i have feedback problems with the other strings as well?
Quote by pete-c
Random thought, do you still get issues when it's unplugged?

I dont think I hear it. I dont think im capable of hearing it w/o the amplification. To me it just sounds like fresh strings that are nice and crisp when its unplugged.