I play guitar now if i picked up a bass i can play but i would play with a pick. If i started playing bass with a pick am i a bass player or a guitar player playing with a bass, if so what would make a bass player unique what skills do bass players have that guitarist don't
Most bassist I know are really quiet
Equipment

Piece of shit Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr 15

GAS
Vintage V100
Orange Micro Crush
Vox wah pedal
Epiphone Valve Jr
IMO i think bass players should pluck...but thats just me.
i think thats kinda what makes bass playing bass playing...
I recently joined a metal/rock n roll esque band and I had never used a pick untill I did.
I used to look down upon people who used picks because I assumed it was because they couldn't play with their fingers.
I can play twice as fast with my fingers... but I still value the tonal quality of using a pick, especially in metal and chugging riffs.
i play in a thrash metal band and or bassist my best friend plays guitar was kind enough to switch to bass but he plays with a pick more like hes still playing guitar so i been breakin his balls like ur just a bad guitar player playin bass lol but is he just a guitar player playing bass
I agree with aerotrooper. I think bassists should use their fingers to play not a pick. I personally think the sound is better when you use your fingers than with a pick.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Quote by Casketcreep
I recently joined a metal/rock n roll esque band and I had never used a pick untill I did.
I used to look down upon people who used picks because I assumed it was because they couldn't play with their fingers.
I can play twice as fast with my fingers... but I still value the tonal quality of using a pick, especially in metal and chugging riffs.

yea for sure not every ones cliff burton playing 200 bpm on pulling teeth solo all finger playing but my question is if anybody who plays guitar picks up a bass and plays with a pick r they a bass player or someone playin a bass r there qualities that r nessecary like slapping popping etc if not every guitar players a bass player and its difficult to play guitar with ur fingers
i think a bass is really important every one always jokes on bassists but they need to lay down a consistent wall of sound but thats something any guitars can do
A bass guitarist plays the bass guitar IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHETHER OR NOT THEY USE A PICK, I may be feeding the trolls slightly but it seriously pisses me off when people argue for or against picks, a good bassist will learn how to use both

/raeg

Bassists require more finger strenght to play at high speeds.

/thread
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jul 10, 2009,
the 3 qualities of a good bas player are as follows.
da riddim (1,2,3,4)
da mind (I'm not gonna solo all day long, this single E is better, the next song I bet a solo will sound ok though)
da feel. (this here plus this here... it makes me wanna make love... play that around the womenfolk, they will too... giggity!)

together they form "da groove"

which makes you... da Bruce.

or, you know, almost as cool.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
the 3 qualities of a good bas player are as follows.
da riddim (1,2,3,4)
da mind (I'm not gonna solo all day long, this single E is better, the next song I bet a solo will sound ok though)
da feel. (this here plus this here... it makes me wanna make love... play that around the womenfolk, they will too... giggity!)

together they form "da groove"

which makes you... da Bruce.

or, you know, almost as cool.

2 much shrooms bro lol i have no idea wat u said i don't speak hippy
Quote by RaiderFootball1

wat u? hippy? I'll have you know I'm not a hippie. what are YOU saying?

don't hate if you can't spell

but you need to be able to hold a beat, hold back for the sake of a song, and know which combinations of notes will add the right feel to a song. a good bassist in my opinion would be Jack Bruce, because he exudes all those qualities. a good bassist is referred to as having a good groove. ex. Jack Bruce- now that dude has a GROOVE! the best groove ever!
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

In relation to your first question, no.
You would be a guitarist with a bass.

You haven't learned to play bass, so don't think you can play one.
Sure, you can make music with it, but in the same way that I could play some Sabbath on a banjo. It sure as hell ain't playing a banjo.
He would be a guitarist with a bass even without using a pick. What makes a bass player does not depend on the plectrum, nor on his fingers. It's that he plays the bass. Simple as that.

Odd outbreak of silly people lately, but then again, this is the internet. You're smart if you know 1+1.
Neil Gaiman's The Sandman

D E A T H of the E N D L E S S
Quote by RaiderFootball1
yea for sure not every ones cliff burton playing 200 bpm on pulling teeth solo all finger playing but my question is if anybody who plays guitar picks up a bass and plays with a pick r they a bass player or someone playin a bass r there qualities that r nessecary like slapping popping etc if not every guitar players a bass player and its difficult to play guitar with ur fingers

Really? That's one sentence? Oh wait, technically it isn't even one because there's no period.
Quote by RaiderFootball1
i play in a thrash metal band and or bassist my best friend plays guitar was kind enough to switch to bass but he plays with a pick more like hes still playing guitar so i been breakin his balls like ur just a bad guitar player playin bass lol but is he just a guitar player playing bass

and then said

Quote by RaiderFootball1

But to answer your question, a bass player is a person who can play bass with a groove and knows the basic fundamentals of bass playing. It dosent matter at all how the bass is played. You could play the bass using chopsticks and still call yourself a bass player.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Jul 10, 2009,
Anyone who plays what they need to play to best serve the song as a whole, using whatever tools/techniques they have at their disposal is a true bass player.
Proud Member Of The Bass Militia

PM Nutter_101 To Join
First of all, please learn to type normally. It would help everybody read and understand what you are saying better. Know to answer your question, playing with a pick is opinion. There is no problem with playing with a pick, but you still have to consider bass is a different instrument. Anyone can play a guitar song on bass and a bass song on guitar, but playing the instrument has a different feel. In bass there is a lot more concentration on rhythmic patterns. The bass is also used to tie together guitar and drums in some cases. So just because you play guitar doesn't mean you can play bass, but playing like you would picking technique wise and what not is acceptable.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Playing bass isn't so much how you play the bass but your outlook towards what you're playing. To me a bassist has to be able to: 1. keep the rhythm of the song the "groove" 2. lay down the harmonic fundamentals for the song "the low end" and 3. be prominent while still fitting in. Using a pick is just like fingerstyle/slap, its a technique for making the strings vibrate with its own merits and faults. You're not a bassist just because you can fingerpick the same way you're not not a bassist just because you use a pick. It comes down to the mind set.

tl;dr pick is ok. it's all in your head
no sig for joo
Quote by RaiderFootball1
yea that pretty much is the first answer i got 2 the question i asked thx

so I gave you a good, if playful answer, the rephrased it for you after you called me a shroom eating hippie, and not only do you still type like a total moron, but you ignore my explanation of what it takes to play bass.

it appears the only answer you successfully comprehended was Caskets, which is basically a super dumbed down version of what I said.

Raider, how do you dress in the morning without getting drool on your clothes?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

ohh really this coming from da bruce n da groove guy
ur a 40 year old worn out wannabe n im goin to rutger u this summer n if ur not 50 u type like this its easier n quicker dueche bag plus i graduated with a 95 avg
People on here need to get a life from losers closing my threads for having the wrong title to people b!tch about grammar stfu ***s.
Quote by RaiderFootball1
ohh really this coming from da bruce n da groove guy
ur a 40 year old worn out wannabe n im goin to rutger u this summer n if ur not 50 u type like this its easier n quicker dueche bag plus i graduated with a 95 avg

I'm 19, pass my classes, and am an Eagle Scout. click my name. that's me. leave a comment if you wanna keep this up.

I have nothing to prove to you though, so I'm going to suggest learning manners, using the edit button, and using your gifted brain. such a commodity and should not be wasted on looking like a tool.

I'm going to bed.

I will admit my comment was a little out of line.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

eagle scout really i got a football scholarship to play at rutgers u. u really want to continue eagle scout wat a bitch. im 6 foot 3 245 pounds probaly going 2 start or get some real playing time so lets go
Quote by RaiderFootball1
eagle scout really i got a football scholarship to play at rutgers u. u really want to continue eagle scout wat a bitch. im 6 foot 3 245 pounds probaly going 2 start or get some real playing time so lets go

reported
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by RaiderFootball1
I play guitar now if i picked up a bass i can play but i would play with a pick. If i started playing bass with a pick am i a bass player or a guitar player playing with a bass, if so what would make a bass player unique what skills do bass players have that guitarist don't

you are still a bass player even though you are playing with a pick, using fingers as long as you are playing bass lines that dupports the the melody you are a bass player
I'm sure Rutgers is thrilled at what a stellar ambassador you are for the school. They should put you on the public relations committee.
Hey man, one of the guys in my band just recently realized i used a pick and was kinda jokingly giving me **** for it. I won't lie. I envy bassists who are crazy good with their fingers, but for my band's music.. I love the attack that I get with a pick. I personally can't get the same tone without it. Don't stress the pick is basically what I'm saying.

But yeah.. I would agree that you shouldn't assume that you can pick up a bass and instantly become a bass player ya know? You have a nice start due to the guitar knowledge, but the role is different. Anyway.. the pick thing is what really made me wanna respond.
monoslang.bandcamp.com

reverbnation.com/monoslang
Quote by RaiderFootball1

LoL, how the hell does your head fit through the door frame?
Guitar FTW