I'm playing in an alternative band now and my Ibanez just doesn't cut it. I mean, it's okay when I play metal but when I'm playing other stuff, the neck is really a pain in the ass to play with especially since I use a lot of chords in our songs(Honestly speaking, I find it hard to sweep with too). I find the neck very wide when I play chords in the higher register. I need something that really fits my hand like a mold. Something that isn't too wide for me to handle. I'm not too sure if it's the paper thin neck that's causing the pain or if the neck's too wide for me tho. Can someone recommend me a guitar with a neck that's not too fat or too wide? I want a nice, thick fat tone and I've thought of an LP but I'm not too sure about it because the last time I tried it, I didn't really like the fat neck cos of my tiny Asian hands but then again, I wasn't much of a guy who played chordy stuff at that point of time. Perhaps a strat?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
I like using a Les Paul for when I play rhythm, its better than my friend's Strat imo.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Well you can't really go wrong with an LP or a Strat for Rythm, i'd try different ones out with different necks and see what fits you. Go to your local music shop and explain you're problem it would probably be easier...
You could try a different LP with a slimmer neck profile....I'm not too sure which model exactly, but I'm sure someone else will..

Also...SG's have thinner necks, really comfortable for me (also tiny Asian ). But it doesn't quite have the fatty tone hunky LP's carry.

A strat really isn't the way to go if you're looking for that LP tone.

So all in all, I would say try some different LPs, you should be able to find one that you like. I mean I have some pretty dainty hands, and their neck's are fat, but nothing un-manageable.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

What type of music to you plan to play on it?
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
les pauls necks r like baseball bats get a ESP eclispe or somethin japanese guitar japanese neck(thin neck) plus wit EMGs 80 60 i has a pefect deep real strong punch for chords etc
There is no one perfect guitar for rhythm playing. Les Pauls and Strats are great for rhythm depending on what style of music you are accompanying. Crunchy or clean the Paul will have so much sweet bottom end. A strat will have a nice punchy tone. That's why they make different guitars.
Last edited by danohat at Jul 10, 2009,
i like using my les paul for rhythm playing. it makes it very easy.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Schecters have thicker necks..maybe a C-1 Classic?
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
he said he got small hands if u ever played a paul the neck is thick as **** ESP got a strong metal hard rock punch perfect for rhythm and lead just use the pickup selcetor n like i said it got a thin neck u can get a good one 4 $400 or $500 go on youtube check some ESP reviews and some vids i think its perfect for wat you said u need
Quote by M Power
Try a 60s slim neck profile gibson

+ ya there not as bad as normal gibsons
Fender American Special Telecaster
Blackstar HT-5
Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
BBE Sonic Stomp
Mojo Hand FX Recoil Delay
Empress ParaEQ
Quote by Alter-Bridge
What type of music to you plan to play on it?

Mostly alternative(RHCP), grunge, classic rock.

I just remembered, I saw a jazz/blues band at a gig on the other day and the guitarist used a PRS SE Custom Semi-hollow Soapbar. Should I look at that? I really loved his tone, it was very warm and roundish. My budget won't allow me a Gibby. I narrowed(Not really narrow, actually ) down to:

PRS SE Custom Semi-hollow Soapbar
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter C1 Classic
Greco/Burny/Tokai LP
And perhaps some MIM or CIJ strat?

Keep the suggestions coming though, I'm very open for other suggestions.

EDIT:Oh wait, I just remembered, the Epiphone Dot too.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Last edited by Broken-pick at Jul 10, 2009,
For rhythm, the LP is a good way to go. If the neck is comfortable in your hands, I'd really recommend it. But the best thing to do would be to go to a guitar store and just try out a lot of different guitars till you find one you like. Don't be afraid to go try some out one day, then go a different day and try some out again. You don't have to buy on your first trip, remember :p
My Flying V has a great rhythym tone and the neck is a hybrid profile between the 50's and 60's Gibson contours. But it would make a terrible guitar for an alternative band

Look around for a V-shaped neck, something like a Dean Cadillac or a Strat with the V-shape?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
ESPs have really nice necks, and they make a few guitars with the same scale as an LP, which is the best for rhythm I find. Look into the Eclipse, EX and Viper
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
You could go for a Schecter. Almost any model any type of C-1 (Hellraiser, Classic etc.) You could go for a tempest as well. ESP is also a nice choice. This may seem a little off the wall but try a Washburn they're really underrated. They have a Les Paul-ish model but with better access the the upper frets
Quote by Broken-pick
I'm playing in an alternative band now and my Ibanez just doesn't cut it. I mean, it's okay when I play metal but when I'm playing other stuff, the neck is really a pain in the ass to play with especially since I use a lot of chords in our songs(Honestly speaking, I find it hard to sweep with too). I find the neck very wide when I play chords in the higher register. I need something that really fits my hand like a mold. Something that isn't too wide for me to handle. I'm not too sure if it's the paper thin neck that's causing the pain or if the neck's too wide for me tho. Can someone recommend me a guitar with a neck that's not too fat or too wide? I want a nice, thick fat tone and I've thought of an LP but I'm not too sure about it because the last time I tried it, I didn't really like the fat neck cos of my tiny Asian hands but then again, I wasn't much of a guy who played chordy stuff at that point of time. Perhaps a strat?

That's what she said? I fail.

But I think a LP would do fine.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -