So recently I've been trying to work on my sight reading abit. I've become able to play some basic stuff at moderate tempos but nothing that I'd normally play. I've got the Basic and Advanced Reading Studies for Guitar books that I use as well as some online stuff I found. I've heard that to be really proficient, you have to look ahead but I have trouble looking more than 2 or 3 notes ahead on a good day. Any insight would be appreciated.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Practice many different rhythms in different meters. Make sure you can immediately play any note you see on any string and not just in open position.
first, practice with your eyes closed so that you really get a feeling for where each fret is. then yes, sight reading requires you to read ahead. If you can't read ahead that far, play slower.
the goal for me is to learn what "NOT" to read..scale and arpeggio passages...as in reading word text...not reading "the and for when where".. then your reading speed increased dramatically...the challenge for ALL guitarists and most musicians is rhythm and intervals

the intervals can be dealt with by learning how to make wide jumps on the fretboard without losing tempo

i start with octaves up and down the neck then build a scale from each octave point then the 7th tone of the scale then the sixth and so on

then try three note sequences notes 5 - 6 - 7 in all octaves etc .. then try 1 -2 5 -1 2 b5 etc until you feel really comfortable in all octaves of the scale and can jump from 3rd position to 15th and not get lost...takes time and lots of effort but well worth it

much of this type of exercise is self discipline and demands constant practice

play well

wolf
the main thing i find helps is not starting.

make sure you've spent enough time reading before you even start to play that you know where the melody etc. goes. this will also help you pick out the tricky sections that you can run over in your head a couple of times. lot of music is repetitive, so you can use this time to get ahead a bit.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
As you gain more experience reading, you stop reading notes and start reading groups of notes instead. When you are reading a book, you don't read by letter or syllable. Instead, you read by entire words or groups of them. When you look at a word, you instantly recognize what it is because of your familiarity with the combination of letters. Just constantly practice new pieces. If you have books, you should have a multitude of sheet music available; don't play through a single piece more than twice a day.
You get out of your instrument what you put into it.