i just bought a new jb humbucker for my ibanez,, and for some reason it doesn't have any punch to it. i wired it the same way the stock pickups were and it sounded weak, and when i replaced it the way the web site told me, it sounded the same. i have an rg4ex1 with one volume, one tone, and a 5 way switch. can anyone lend some advice?
Quote by aguynameded
i just bought a new jb humbucker for my ibanez,, and for some reason it doesn't have any punch to it. i wired it the same way the stock pickups were and it sounded weak, and when i replaced it the way the web site told me, it sounded the same. i have an rg4ex1 with one volume, one tone, and a 5 way switch. can anyone lend some advice?

you may have wired it out of phase, making it so that other pickups are adding destructive interference instead of constructive interference.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
do you know any way that i could re wire it to make it work better? i tried the diagram on the website and it didn't work. actually, when i followed the diagram on the web site, the jb was weak, and the jazz didn't even work. does anyone know how i can wire it to sound good?
Quote by aguynameded
do you know any way that i could re wire it to make it work better? i tried the diagram on the website and it didn't work. actually, when i followed the diagram on the web site, the jb was weak, and the jazz didn't even work. does anyone know how i can wire it to sound good?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/faq/frequently-asked/installation-an/how_can_i_corre/
With humbuckers it can be as simple as changing the hot and ground connections or flipping the magnet. To correct phase problems with single coils is harder because the pick ups must be both magnetically and electrically out of phase, and it is next to impossible to change the magnetic orientation in single coil pick ups unless you have a magnetizer.

EDIT: TL;DR version: switch the hot and ground connections.
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Last edited by jeffc313 at Jul 10, 2009,
i didn't want to replace the single coil, and i didn't. i would like to not even use it, but would replacing it help at all?
Quote by aguynameded
i didn't want to replace the single coil, and i didn't. i would like to not even use it, but would replacing it help at all?

just switch the hot and ground wires on your new pickups, should correct the problem
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Ibanez switches are different from normal 5 way blade switches.
You should be able to buy a 3 way from most electronics stores.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yes. However, do you want to use the middle SC or not?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Have you soldered the two loose wires together?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO