I just start sweeping a few weeks ago, and then realized i was actually economy picking.
I'm an economy picker. I've never done strict alternate picking.
EDIT: I economy picked before I even knew there were different ways to pick. Only seen a few people who pick like me. Odd for others to pick like me, but since I've always picked like this it's completely comfortable and easy.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Last edited by kingofdudes161 at Jul 10, 2009,
At the risk of sounding like a brag-happy douchebag, I adapted my own version of economy picking before I knew there were actual styles. I thought it just came naturally to everyone a different way or something like that.
i do all, whichever is more economical at the time is what i use
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by diminishedtobme
I only tap.

lawlz
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
I can pick in any style, but I do absolutely hate how economy picking sounds and it is not fun to do.
I started with all downstrokes, not knowing any better. Alternate picking came to me when I wanted to go faster. Then from that, I started doing it more efficiently, and ended up economy picking.

Then I found out what they were called. =P
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
When I was learning, my teacher told me my style was wrong even though it was economy picking, and tried to make me do alternate only. Now I use alot of downpicking and economy stuff, I dont use alot of legato unless Im going all Marty Friedman on a solo

EDIT: Pretty much the same case as the post above mine
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
economy picking, but when i am practicing i start my 16th notes with upstrokes. I also add some legato.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
i do mostly alternative pick, but i may switch from that to jsut downstrokes or economy depending on what style/tone im doing.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
When I started using upstokes (took me a few months lol), I was economy picking all the time, it worked fine, but as I started developping my speed more, I subconsciously switched to alternate picking, it wasn't a decision or anything, it just kind of happened.

Now that I look back on it, I think that alternate picking gives you a better feel of wether or not your on a downbeat. I can't imagine myself using an upstroke on a downbeat now.
I alternate pick mostly, when I solo I use economy picking when necessary. I also started learning sweep picking but I suck at it so far.
when im chugging mainly down strokes but when soloing i alternate and sweep...
i dont even think about it i just do...
i mean i dont really see how you can solo and just use downstrokes...
(this is assuming you can solo fast..)
Last edited by AEROTROOPER159 at Jul 11, 2009,
Quote by AEROTROOPER159
when im chugging mainly down strokes but when soloing i alternate and sweep...
i dont even think about it i just do...
i mean i dont really see how you can solo and just use downstrokes...
(this is assuming you can solo fast..)

no dude, not an entire solo with just economic, I mean like going up or down to other strings without following the alternate pattern, then switching back.
The title should be "What is Your Picking Style?" It shouldn't be "What is You're Picking Style?"

The grammatical error doesn't matter.

It really depends on what I'm playing. Right now, I'm focused on a lot of Punk Rock that uses a lot of downpicking, but if I play a song that requires alternate picking I'll use alternate picking.
Quote by Anonymoos
I only alternate pick, is it bad to never have learnt economy?

No, you can use both for every run, it's just that economy develops into sweeping kinda.

I mean, you can alternate pick sweeping patterns but you will never be as fast as when you sweep them.
I can alternate pick and economy pick. Most of the time I do the Paul Gilbert/Shawn Lane style though, mixing alternate picking and legato.
Horses for courses, you use whatever works best at the time - it shouldn't be an exclusive choice, they aren't "styles", it's just a case of whatever's suitable at any given moment, or even simply what you feel like using.

If you're transitioning to an adjacent string and want to make it as smooth and effortless as possible, and the pick is already heading in that direction, then you'd use economy picking regardless of how fast you're playing - the most sensible course of action is to use the same picking stroke you last used.

If, however, you want to mainitain a bit more separation in the sound then you could alternate pick or simply "stutter" your downstroke. Most players don't use one style exclusively, it chops and changes from song to song, lick to lick and even from note to note...it's stupid to restrict yourself by saying "I only alt pick" or "I prefer economy picking", you just use whatever fits best.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 11, 2009,
I mostly use legato with some alternate/economy picking thrown in.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by awesomo41894
I can pick in any style, but I do absolutely hate how economy picking sounds and it is not fun to do.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but it sounds to me like you can't really econ pick very well.

generally I econ pick descending runs and alternate pick ascending runs. I can do either but that is what I do subconsciously when I'm improvising.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Dumb question, seeing as it depends on the piece at hand. I've developed every style, and use them all just as much as the next one.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Usually alternate picking, but sometimes even downpicking... depends on the riff/solo. I tend to use a lot of hammer ons and pull offs too. Keep in mind that I'm mainly a rhythm player though.
Strict alternate picking with some hybrid picking and sweeps if the occasion calls for it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I never sweep pick

but other than that I honestly never put much thought into what style of picking I use.

I actually played through a few things just now to even look at how I pick....and I'm not really sure, haha

It really depends on what I'm playing.

I dont see a reason to really think "I'm going to alternate pick this" or "I'm going to economy pick this"

I use a pick, sometimes a couple fingers (or if I'm playing classical then I always use fingers, but obviously thats another story, haha)
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Downpick to get a certain tonal quality on things otherwise just alternate picking and adding in economy picking where i see fit
As far a picking goes,it depends on what I play.I'm not gonna change notes of a solo if it's a swept sequence,I'll just play it that way, but most of the time I'll use strict Alternate picking where others would down pick.Same with using the pinky finger as much as I can on the fretboard.

Bottom line when practicing a "guitar" cover song I'll either be assimilating the musician's style and/or use more rigorous methods.Being able to pick on both string sides(inside/outside) at a same speed is also what will lead you to better,more syncronized picking.