Ok so ive had a guitar lying around for almost a year and ive decided to play now.Now,i put new strings in and bought a Chromatic Tuner ITM-500.When i play a string it doesnt show up as the string im playing on the tuner,i play 'D' for example it shows up as 'E' on the tuner.

This all sounds so stupid but its annoying the **** out of me and i have no clue what to do
It will show what note your playing, so I guess your D string is tuned up a tone.
Either it's out of tune (I hope you're not that dim)
or maybe it has a "flat" button somewhere on it. That'll **** with your tuning if you don't know you've pressed it.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
yeh its out of tune and im trying to get it back into tune,i play E..shows as a G on tuner so i dno my heads melted with it

And no i didnt touch the flat button,was i suppose to ?
No, don't use that button. Just tune your strings up until they hit the notes that they're supposed to.

i.e. If your E string is tuned to G it's probably too low so keep tightening it and you'll see the tuner then read A then B etc until you get to E and then move onto the next string. It reads the note your guitar is making, not the string that you're plucking.
right heres the Thing im tightning the bolts but im seriously afraid of them snapping again ,i tightened the E and it read B on the tuner but im afraid if i tighten it any more shes gonna snap
Are you sure you put the right strings in the right slots? The order should be:

e
B
G
D
A
E

With the E on the bottom being the thickest string and the e on the top being the thinnest. Unless you have a razor blade for a bridge there shouldn't be a problem with snapping the strings during tuning.
Quote by mattvl
Are you sure you put the right strings in the right slots? The order should be:

e
B
G
D
A
E

With the E on the bottom being the thickest string and the e on the top being the thinnest. Unless you have a razor blade for a bridge there shouldn't be a problem with snapping the strings during tuning.

u mean E A D G B e with 'E' as the thickest at the top(closest to face if u wanna look at it that way)?
I would have assumed that wasn't even possible...but now that I think about it I guess you could have tuned the E up to a B...if you did crank it back down my friend. Vasser had a good idea by posting that link, if your string is at a higher pitch than it should be tune it down to E rather than up.
Quote by Lynchyyyyyy
u mean E A D G B e with 'E' as the thickest at the top(closest to face if u wanna look at it that way)?

Yes
Quote by MetaMegaMagic
Set your tuner to 440hz. Then come back to us.

already set to 440hz

----

Ok now im getting an F on the tuner