I'm just wondering why I seem to need to turn on standby and power on my peavey 6505+ to get sound. I know its a stupid question but could someone please help me out. I connected the stereo cable to the cabinet and to the head where it says "speaker outputs". Is this correct?

Thanks to anyone who can help
Yes with the power on then standby. But let it warm up for a minute or so before you take it off stand-by your tubes will last longer that way.

And by Stereo cable you mean Speaker cable right? If so, Yes to speaker outs to Cab input! Just make sure you have the head set to the correct Impedance of the cab i.e-8Ohms or 16Ohms. If not you transformer will be short-lived. And that's an expensive repair.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by boxcarmonument
Yes with the power on then standby. But let it warm up for a minute or so before you take it off stand-by your tubes will last longer that way.

And by Stereo cable you mean Speaker cable right? If so, Yes to speaker outs to Cab input! Just make sure you have the head set to the correct Impedance of the cab i.e-8Ohms or 16Ohms. If not you transformer will be short-lived. And that's an expensive repair.

ERRONIOUS!!! ERRONIOUS ON BOTH COUNTS!!!

just kidding, this is totally on the mark... all of it (check your impedance maaaaan).
Quote by boxcarmonument

Thankyou so much for the reply. And yes I meant speaker cable sorry.

The thing is though, when I have the power on and standby on and then take standby off, I get no soujnd. =s any reasons as to why this is?
Because when turned off both toggles should be the same direction. You flip the power toggle, wait a minute(I use it to get all my cables set up), then you flip the standby toggle. Do it in reverse to turn it off.
Quote by dvm25
Thankyou so much for the reply. And yes I meant speaker cable sorry.

The thing is though, when I have the power on and standby on and then take standby off, I get no soujnd. =s any reasons as to why this is?

the way the two switches work:

to turn on the amp, first turn on thet power switch, then after waiting at least 30 seconds, flip the standby in that same direction. then play and to turn off, turn the standby switch down then the power switch. no need to wait for turning it off though
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Out of curiosity, if I ran my amp that was set on 16 Ω in the input that said 8Ω and ran it for a total of about 30 minutes (at different times), would I have done significant damage?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Out of curiosity, if I ran my amp that was set on 16 Ω in the input that said 8Ω and ran it for a total of about 30 minutes (at different times), would I have done significant damage?

I wouldn't think so, but don't do it in the future.

Generally you're ok as long as the amp impedance is less than or equal to the cab impedance.

Greater than, you can cause some damage but unless you were really driving it hard for an extended period I think you're fine. The OTs on these old amps could afford a small amount of abuse.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

Generally you're ok as long as the amp impedance is less than or equal to the cab impedance.

Greater than, you can cause some damage but unless you were really driving it hard for an extended period I think you're fine. The OTs on these old amps could afford a small amount of abuse.

Indeedio. Apparently (according to Guitar World), those Fender-made EVH amps can withstand an unplugged speaker load, which is pretty cool.

Off topic, so I digress.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Indeedio. Apparently (according to Guitar World), those Fender-made EVH amps can withstand an unplugged speaker load, which is pretty cool.

Off topic, so I digress.

that's good actually, there's one at my guitar center, and whenever i see a hardcore 13 year old, i get scared he's gonna fry the expensive as hell amp, but i guess my beloved 5153 will be fine even if they do that.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

bingo!

also, i read that same article about the new eVh, and i remember ed sayin something about leaving his cab unplugged as a "quality control test" or something like that... but i'm skeptical. seems like just another way to say "hey kids, buy the **** with my name on it!" idk... never tried to leave ANY head running unloaded.

on a side note of my own, the lower the impedance, the louder you can push the damn thing, but at the price of the quality of your tone
Quote by GrisKy
bingo!

also, i read that same article about the new eVh, and i remember ed sayin something about leaving his cab unplugged as a "quality control test" or something like that... but i'm skeptical. seems like just another way to say "hey kids, buy the **** with my name on it!" idk... never tried to leave ANY head running unloaded.

on a side note of my own, the lower the impedance, the louder you can push the damn thing, but at the price of the quality of your tone

I've always wondered; wouldn't you have to not only turn on the amp with no load, but actually plug in and play with no load? That is when the OT would really start cooking, I would think... Just a thought.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!