I recently bought a Jackson reverse neck to put on my strat copy that I'm customizing. However, The neck is about 1mm smaller than the neck cavity on the guitar. Will this cause fret buzz, or can I even use the neck? Please note that it is only the smallest of distances smaller than it, although it is enough to wiggle it a bit. Thanks in advance.
stick some stuff in the sides maybe?
but other than that, idk...
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Does everyone in this forum who has a problem also have a broken camera? lol.

But pics will help. Answering dougl126's question would be helpful though.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Quote by David Collins
Just bolt it on, and you'll be fine. If it's bolted down fast to the body, it doesn't matter whether it's contacting the sides or not - in your case it comes down primarily to an aesthetic factor.

pretty much. just make sure that bitch is tightened down
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by David Collins
Just bolt it on, and you'll be fine. If it's bolted down fast to the body, it doesn't matter whether it's contacting the sides or not - in your case it comes down primarily to an aesthetic factor.

debatable, but i'm calling B.S. i know tons of people that would agree that a tight neck fit = a good neck fit. tightening down will only help so much, plus those screws that fasten the neck digging up under the fretboard harder than they're supposed to? not good.

i'd carefully tape off the neck pocket and squeeze a little wood filler onto both sides. sand that down until the neck fits and i think you'll be happier knowing you've got the neck fitting well. a 1/2 mm of wood filler on both sides of the neck pocket won't be noticeable with the neck in, and it'll cost you $15 for wood filler and sand paper.
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
debatable, but i'm calling B.S. i know tons of people that would agree that a tight neck fit = a good neck fit. tightening down will only help so much, plus those screws that fasten the neck digging up under the fretboard harder than they're supposed to? not good.

i'd carefully tape off the neck pocket and squeeze a little wood filler onto both sides. sand that down until the neck fits and i think you'll be happier knowing you've got the neck fitting well. a 1/2 mm of wood filler on both sides of the neck pocket won't be noticeable with the neck in, and it'll cost you $15 for wood filler and sand paper.

This.
Also, with the gap inbetween the neck joint and pocket, there will be a sustain and tone loss.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
No way would I use wood filler. I would put wood shims of exactly the right size into the gaps. That way you have contact, and it's wood to wood. Wood filler should be used only for small cracks and holes, not to build up an exposed surface.
glue+bolt?? Or if you're less lazy than me, buy a really thin sheet of wood and glue it in or something. Or if you get lazy again, fill the gap with toothpicks? Or if you get really lazy again, just bolt it on.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
^I agree with this guy. The guitar I built is a bolt on. The neck pocket was (rather) badly done by me so there is a largeish gap as the front of it. The tone and sustain are great though even though the neck doesn't touch the front edge of the pocket.

A really lazy option is to use an old credit card. They are usually uniformly flat, have four straight edges and are easy to cut to size. If your guitar has a strat or tele like pickguard no one will see most of it from the front anyway
Last edited by supergerbil at Jul 11, 2009,