My friend is borrowing an old Epiphone Les Paul (maybe 15-20 years old) and there is some heavy twanginess :P on the D string from the 3rd fret down to about the 17th fret (there is still some twang but its not as noticeable). It doesn't look like there's any problem with the bridge or nut, so what else could it be? His D string is absolutely useless with as of now, so i would greatly appreciate any help I can get.
Quote by Ibanez_Loser
My friend is borrowing an old Epiphone Les Paul (maybe 15-20 years old) and there is some heavy twanginess :P on the D string from the 3rd fret down to about the 17th fret (there is still some twang but its not as noticeable). It doesn't look like there's any problem with the bridge or nut, so what else could it be? His D string is absolutely useless with as of now, so i would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

by "twang" do you mean fret buzz?
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Quote by jeffc313
by "twang" do you mean fret buzz?

my thought, too. the neck is most likely a little twisted around and after the 3rd fret. i would say it's just the action, but if the action were too low i would think the entire neck would buzz. you could try raising the action a little until you can get the guitar to a shop for a quality set up
Quote by Ibanez_Loser

raise the action or check for your neck relief https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241 with that guide.