Hey guys, I found an ESP Explorer for a real good price, just wondering if there's any way to tell if it's "real" (I've heard stories of people painting LTDs and what not, and I know that it's very expensive to get ESP EXs, because they don't sell the standard series in the states). Should I ask the guy for the serial number? If it's custom shop shouldn't it say custom on the headstock rather than EX? Thanks.
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-ESP-Explorer-EX-Electric-Guitar-403-350-9534-W0QQAdIdZ138344249
He say's he payed 2200 for it, but for the features he described and the way he said that it's an "Exact Replica" of Jame Hetfield's makes me think he has no idea what he has, and is just trying to make some money off of it. He says it was custom ordered ,but it says ESP EX on the headstock, and while I'm not an expert, I'm quite certain all CS ESP's says ESP with Custom Shop written right next to it. Again, I'm no expert, but it doesn't look very convincing.
My Gear
Marshall MG10 + Digitech RP350 multi-fx
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
1.- I dont know if it should say custom, but....
2.- Ask for a better pic of the back of the headstock. There you might see something that says that it's a custom guitar.
3.- I dont know what are "EMG 100" series pickups. I think the pickups on the guitar are 81-81 because of the silver logo. That makes him loose a point because Hetfield uses 81-60, and he says it's a replica :/
4.- ask for a pic of the neck joint. it should be a set neck

go and play it if you can. It's actually a very good price even if it isn't custom and just a standard ESP EX. Just make some googling on wich specs should ESP's standard EXs have.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by ldnovelo
1.- I dont know if it should say custom, but....
2.- Ask for a better pic of the back of the headstock. There you might see something that says that it's a custom guitar.
3.- I dont know what are "EMG 100" series pickups. I think the pickups on the guitar are 81-81 because of the silver logo. That makes him loose a point because Hetfield uses 81-60, and he says it's a replica :/
4.- ask for a pic of the neck joint. it should be a set neck

go and play it if you can. It's actually a very good price even if it isn't custom and just a standard ESP EX. Just make some googling on wich specs should ESP's standard EXs have.

I agree with a lot of this, ask for pics/ ask to play it.
My Gear
Marshall MG10 + Digitech RP350 multi-fx
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
neck joint looks to be a bolt on :S i'd be cautious mate as their have been a few fake explorers going around the world. but ask for a clearer picture of the back of the headstock and unfortunately if it were a fake the serial number won't help you much as people can easily grab one off the net.
if its a standard ESP its a good price to i think but the conition of the guitar looks <mint. If you dont trust it dont buy it. Maybe you can call him and ask for the specs, see what he says and you can hear if he is lying. gl
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
I don't think it's a custom, I'm pretty sure about that. Also, James ESP explorers are EXP's, which are the curvier, gibson-esque ones (pre-law suit). Whereas that is an EX, a pointier one (post-law suit).
That's not a replica of James Hetfield's guitar.
Hetfield uses ESP Explorers that were discontinued because ESP used to make an exact copy of Gibson's Explorer and they were sued or were going to be if they didn't stop selling it (I'm not sure). Then, ESP made new Exlorers, slightly different from Gibson's. The difference is that the ESP Explorer has a "pointed" body
Gibson Explorer's body is curved. Look for pictures of James Hetifield with any of his Eplorers. You will see that none of his guitars is like that one.
LIGHTNING
It looks just lke an EX standard not anything custom shop but still a good price.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
It would be say Custom Shop if it was pre 2007 or something like that, or CS if its newer. IF NOT, Then its B.S.
You can decide what the headstock says when it's Custom Shop, but normally they don't actually put just the model name. Mine just says "ESP Custom Shop" and no model name. It seems to be a standard, but as mentioned earlier, get pics of the neck joint and the back of the headstock to see if any more information is given.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

Quote by | Lightning |
Hetfield uses ESP Explorers that were discontinued because ESP used to make an exact copy of Gibson's Explorer and they were sued or were going to be if they didn't stop selling it (I'm not sure). Then, ESP made new Exlorers, slightly different from Gibson's. The difference is that the ESP Explorer has a "pointed" body
Gibson Explorer's body is curved. Look for pictures of James Hetifield with any of his Eplorers. You will see that none of his guitars is like that one.

This, it might be an actual ESP Explorer, and not an LTD. But I don't see anything on it that would indicate it being a custom shop model.
Quote by Demonazzz
I prefer barbed wire strings. I find I can get the most br00t41 tonez with it.
Quote by | Lightning |

Because he hated the EX shape. I mean, he gave the JH-4 (an EX) to one of Kid Rock's guitarists for goodness's sake.
That looks very close to what that guitar is, minus the sticker. I would say it's legitimately ESP, but not custom. I don't like rosewood necks, so I wouldn't get it, but it's your guitar.
If I wasn't me, who else would I be?

Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded (02)
G&L Legacy Special
Peavey Special 212
Martin DXR1
Quote by coolbeverage
I know that it's very expensive to get ESP EXs, because they don't sell the standard series in the states).

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_ex-esp.html

Wait til the fall and get one for around $1500 or less, probably

But I would seriously call him out on the James Hetfield thing cuz that's a fvcking lie (this would convince him to lower the price more), and ask for a GOOD picture of the back of the headstock. I could have taken a better pic of that with my camera phone, WITH my hand (already naturally shaky) shaking from starvation.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 13, 2009,
In the first pic you can clearly see hardwood floors, and in the pictures of the head stock, its carpet floors. FAKE
On a serious note, the guy is trying to scam you, I'd just stay away from it in general.
My Rig
Mesa Triple Rectifier Half Stack
Jackson USA King V 2
1988 American Made Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/Bigsby
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Quote by Shinozoku
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_ex-esp.html

Wait til the fall and get one for around $1500 or less, probably

But I would seriously call him out on the James Hetfield thing cuz that's a fvcking lie (this would convince him to lower the price more), and ask for a GOOD picture of the back of the headstock. I could have taken a better pic of that with my camera phone, WITH my hand (already naturally shaky) shaking from starvation.

Does this mean they're selling them new? :O

I just got an email from him. "the logo on the back is a pearl inlay that says "ESP custom guitars". I bought it in 2001...as far as the pickups go, all I ever knew about them is that they were part of the custom order package that I got from california. It was an ESP form and I selected the james hetfield edition explorer. They also had kirk hametts ESP model, and some other guys I didn't know, I was trying to remember what series they are, and 100 poped in to my head. So come take a look. I have the original case. I don't have paper work for it, because when I bought it I was only 17, and all I cared about was having a sweet guitar that I was never going to sell.
Last edited by coolbeverage at Jul 13, 2009,